News:

• May 05, 2024, 06:03:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mini Force (pics)  (Read 1927 times)

Offline John Crocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Mini Force (pics)
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:49:17 PM »
Been looking at the Primary Force for a while, so I decided to build a 1/2A version.  33 in span, roughly 200 sq in.  9.16 oz.  Powered by .061 AP Wasp.  Not happy with the landing gear, but its functional.  Hope to maiden tomorrow.

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
Re: Mini Force (pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:45:55 PM »
Look good John.   y1

Now do the same thing with another one but use your diamond ribs.  :)

Make sure you let us know how it works out.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 03:51:48 AM »
Very cool John!  Is that a 1 oz. clunk tank? Call me some time when you go over to Alamance Elem...   Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 05:03:33 AM »
I thought about the diamond airfoil, but decided last minute to go more traditional.  Plus I already had a stack of ribs cut out from when I repaired one of my stick type planes (Lone Wolf)

Hey Ray,

Yep, 1 oz clunk, found it at KC Hobby in High Point.  Hardest clunk I've ever tried to put together.  Finally had to open the hole up on the inner collar cause the screw just would not go in.  I like that store a lot, very little CL stuff, but good stock of balsa and coverings.  They actually had a full size (up to .46) ARF Primary Force on the shelf, $119.  If I wasn't in debt up to my ears I'd have bought it.  May try to get over to Alamance this weekend, just got to get done with the week first.

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:26:14 AM »
Just came in from flying in the cul de sac.  Balance is great, pulls with authority, any lighter and it would be too fast for me.  Needs longer lines, 30' just too fast for manuevers.  Did not try any tricks, last time I did that over concrete I trashed a plane, but response was nice and smooth.  Lands prettier than any plane I've ever had, just glides in pretty as you please.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »
Sounds great, John!

The pictures are not showing up. ??

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 06:34:18 PM »
John,
Plane looks really nice (photo's are showing up for me). I am guessing you should be able to fly this on 42 foot lines---as I do with my Norvel 049 powered old Top Flite Baby Flite Streak. I use a Grish Black Magnum 5-3 cut to 4 3/4 inch. Spins up over 20k rpm, but does a real nice job with the Flite Streak.

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 04:31:08 AM »
Yeah Alan, I have some longer lines (40, 42, or 45 can't remember), but in the culdesac in front of my house I have to use 30 to keep from hitting mailboxes and the light pole.  You can do beautiful take offs waspand landings on the asphalt, but its a little hard on the unplanned "landings" whether they be nose first, wing first, or inverted.

I'm using an AP .061 wasp and have been plenty successful with a Master Airscrew 6x3.  I know I can get the engine to rev higher, but as it is now it pulls PLENTY and turns around a little less than a 3 second lap in the court.  Plenty for me.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 07:20:22 PM »
Why not try a 6-2 or 5 1/2 -2 might make it a bit slower on 30 ft lines but still plenty fast enuff to stay where you aim it.

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 05:12:37 AM »
Hey Jim,

I tried a APC 6x2 and while it slowed it down, I noticed it did not pull nearly as much.  I'm just a sport flyer and not a very good one, most of my planes only last a couple of months before I pile drive them, thats why I stay with 1/2A stuff.  I need as much pull as I can get to feel comfortable through manuevers.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 09:05:46 AM »
I say go back to what works as far as flying.  Just have to get used to the speed.  In the 70's we flew 1/2A combat planes on 35 foot line which made you rotate faster than what we were using in AMA combat.  Then when we went to fly our AMA combat planes it was like flying a stunt plane.  I noticed in the speed circles they say to start out with a set of lines to slow the plane down as far as rotational speed and then start shortening them until you get used to the speed that you need to be competitive.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here