News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:23:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Merry Christmas minnesotamodeler  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
Merry Christmas minnesotamodeler
« on: November 14, 2007, 08:11:41 AM »
 Hey Ray
Check your mail in the next couple days. #^ #^
You don't stop flying cause your get OLD
You get OLD cause you stopped flying
St Peter MN
Present Master of the Figure 9

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: Merry Christmas minnesotamodeler
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:10:21 AM »
OK Mike, what a cryptic message...
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:17:35 PM »
Hey Mike, got your "surprise" today!  .010 TeeDee, very cute. Man, it's tiny...3" prop.  I may have to make a special battery clip to fit that tiny cylinder.

Didn't seem to have a lot of compression, so I squirted some fuel around the head and sure enough, it had a bad leak on one side.  I found a head spacer in the box but it was sorta mangled, couldn't make it seal at first but finally got it reshaped and flattened, and now it has a good "pop" when you flip it.  I can't wait to try it out.  Thanks!

We'll talk terms after I see how it runs!

--Ray

--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 03:50:33 PM »
OK, after some dinking around, I got it to run.  The fuel tank didn't feed; when I pulled the back off, I found the sealant that had been used around the joint (to stop leaks I suppose) had found its way into the end of the pickup tube...nicely sealed. 

I put a balloon tank on it and it started and ran fine...well, as far as I know. It ran smooth anyhow. And it does sound like a deranged mosquito. I tach'ed it at 24k which seems a little low for an .010? The paper that came with it seemed to suggest 27-28k as more the norm. But I'm using old 15% fuel too, maybe with higher nitro the rpms will come up. (Mike, how much time is on the engine?  Is it broken in? Does it need to loosen up more?)

I ran it in my basement and it set the smoke alarm off! You wouldn't think such a tiny little thing would produce that much exhaust...

Anyway, I'm still sure it will fly my Queen Bee just fine. I just have to work out a way to get my little balloon tank on there (really a "finger" tank...using a finger from a latex glove. Works well with the .020s too).  If you recall the Queen Bee design, the bellcrank is immediately behind the firewall...no space for a tank.  I'll figure something out.

--Ray

P.S. By the way, Mike how did you get the thing mounted in its sidewinder configuration?  The one mounting screw is directly behind the cylinder. Can't mount the tank first and then the engine, it attaches from the back...I can't see a way to do it other than removing the cylinder which I didn't want to do. (Shhh, don't tell anyone, I ran it with just one screw holding it to my test board.)  I'll change it to upright, or inverted, for the Queen Bee.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 02:08:24 AM »
Ray,

I had one of the early model Tee Dee .010 engines, and it was a real screamer running the Cox high nitro fuel.  ~^

Used to show it off to my friends, by holding it in my left hand while it was running. Couldn't run a full tank that way, because it made my fingers go numb in very short order!  :o

Never mounted it on an airplane, but it sure looked neat hung on my dress tie, with the tie clip adapter.  ;D

I don't think Cox used any sealer on the tank backplate, but perhaps a previous owner thought it was necessary?

Gave my Tee Dee .010 to a young friend some years ago, along with a NIB Cox Venom, and NIB Black Widow, before they all went out of production! Still kicking myself in the behind for that misguided deed, as the kid dropped out of modeling shortly after! HB~>

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 06:33:51 AM »
When I was a kid, I used to run the prime out of an .020 held in my hand to impress my friends...when I'd do it in my bedroom my mother would have a cow.

I have the .010 mounted on my Queen Bee; I think I'll try the (unsealed) integral tank first.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 05:33:09 PM »
OW OW OW!  Gave away one of only 1000 made Venoms.  Ooooooch Eeeeeech Ouch.  Do you know what they GO FOR these days???  Check old sales on e-Bay.  Then you can REALLY kick yourself.  But don't feel lonely, I used to own some dot-com stocks.   ~^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 07:23:10 AM »
Hey Ray D>K
I ran the .010 only on the bench mayde three times to break it in. Never was in a plane. I intended to put it in a really tiny pearl FF model but never got around to it. Yes the tank will not hold fuel I tryed many times and sealers. as you know. Did I send a wrench with it as I found one for it on my bench last night? n~ I ran it on 25% sig fuel and yes the head seal was bad thats whay I took it out. The glow head is the one that came with it. :X I thought I had some more but can't find them. If I find them I'll send them to you. So the glow head is a little suspect I'd get a new one and see if that helps the little jewel run better. Brodak and I think S&S hobbies list them. As for mounting I used allen screws and a ball end driver.
 Worked for me. :##

P. S. I don't think it's completely broken in.
St Peter MN

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 08:29:44 AM »
http://virginiahobbysport.com/
Here Ray this place has the glow heads for the .010.
St Peter MN

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 06:45:24 PM »
Thanks Mike...I kinda suspected maybe the .010 wasn't yet run in entirely.  I'll run a few more tanks through it and see if it picks up any rpms. 

You did send a wrench, thanks, and some extra props (tiny! 3x 1.25!). Yeah, any glowheads you run across, send 'em on...we'll keep everything of an .010 nature together. 

$12 + for a glowhead.  Hmmmmph.  Maybe Galbreath ought to make some .010 conversion heads for the Nelson plug...no, I think the Nelson plug is bigger diameter than the cylinder!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 10:24:59 PM »
Larry,

Seem to have lost another post here, but here is the gist of it.

Followed a couple of those Venom auctions on Ebay, but gave that up. My behind was getting sore from kicking myself, every time the bids went up another hundred bucks!  HB~>

Dot com stocks? Yes, BTDT too.  :(

If throwing money away was rewarded in kind, I'd be rich!  LL~

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
St Peter MN

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here