News:

• May 31, 2024, 01:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Merlin glow plugs  (Read 1334 times)

Online kenneth cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Merlin glow plugs
« on: July 12, 2009, 06:02:05 PM »
       I've recently seen the Merlin plug clamp and the available head buttons on Ebay. While curious, I wasn't in a rush to try these. Lately, larger models and a few contests have been the top priority. I set out today with a few 1/2a's. Its been quite a while since I flew some of them and thats what I really enjoy about this hobby. Each model has its own different engine with different characteristics. One in particular has a modified sure start on it. I had a bronze bushing installed in the crankcase. The downside to this engine is that it never really came alive like some of my others. I figured I could add a high compression head for more power but the price of them makes them more valuable to my tee dee's. While at Brodak's I picked up a 3 pk of head buttons and the clamp for about $15.00. I tried it on the sure start and discovered it was overcompressed while trying to start it. I added 1 gasket, still no success. I then added one more and the engine ran but seemed to start sagging a bit. I then added an additional one and it settled in quite nicely. I finally settled on 4 total. I'm glad to see that I'm getting more rather than less compression. This combined with a 5x3 APC and 35% made for a terrific 1/2 a day. The engine didn't skip a beat. Typically 35% hammers the plug to death in a limited amount of flights. I was quite shocked at the durability of the plug. For those looking for an inexpensive hop up this plug just may be for you. Ken

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Merlin glow plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 06:33:47 PM »
I have been impressed with the things I have read about these. One day hope to try them.

Seems the plug adapters that use "standard" glow plugs will drop compression in some engines. Specifically the Norvels and AP Wasp engines. Most declare a drop of about 1,000 RPM. The Merlin insert type plugs do not and should work well in Tee Dees as well.

It is good that you report of using the extra gaskets to make the plug fit your needs. Thank you for your findings and report.

I had posted this cool graphic in another thread. Really cool.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 07:45:51 PM »
          I went to the field once again this weekend to blow the cobwebs off of the 1/2 a's. This weekend didn't go as well as last weekend. I did discover something that raised some concern. In my last post regarding the Merlin plug, I thought the plug would interchange with the Norvel, Ap head retainer. This in fact is not the case. Although, I did have a Glo Bee clamp and now I'm not sure which one is in hand. For certain, I did have the Norvel button in my hand which I waffled trying to run it in a Tee Dee which was overcompressed. I tried to switch to the newer Merlin plug when I noticed its diameter was slightly larger. I figured no big deal I'll just use the clamp which was supplied with the Melin plug. Thats when I realized I left it at home. Either way,  for the small dollar amount Merlin does provide their head clamp. Ken

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 05:41:54 AM »
Ken, the Merlin plug does indeed fit the latest and best head from Norvel, called the freedom. You must have had one of the older norvel cold plug set ups with you that day, they were smaller. The smaller plug setup is also the one supplied with the wasp engines. I also have run into the overcompression on my medallions with the Merlin setup, easy fix, and what a relief to use a plug adapter and not lose compression!  But so far, IMHO, Merlin has produced a great product at a great price!!   H^^
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:23:48 AM »
As a comment, I always ran a bunch of copper gaskets on my Norvel 1/2 A engines with the Norvel plugs. Since the Merlin is a copy of the Norvel plug (giving a similar combustion chamber), I guess I am not surprised that engines like more gaskets, especially if you are running the high nitro.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here