News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:08:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Medallion vs TD  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Medallion vs TD
« on: September 25, 2013, 07:29:40 AM »
Hello All,
I have been surprised at how much more civilised the Medallion 0.049 is compared with its TD counterpart. I don't much like running the TDs on pressure bladder feed and that seems to be the only way of running them if you want ease of setting up etc. On the other hand the Medallion has amazed me as to how civilised it is compared to the TD, allowing for the reduced performance.
 My query is as follows. I have plenty of TDs but no Medallions. As far as I am aware, the difference between the two is largely head, cylinder and crank. Now I can get hold of medallion cranks . If I swop out the TD cranks for Medallion ones, will I get a better mannered engine, or do you have to go the whole hog and change the cylinder and head (Heads are a little problematic as I run Galbreath or Merlin heads anyway).

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Medallion vs TD
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:53:50 AM »
Just changing the crank should be a huge improvement. You may also need an extra head gasket or two.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »
Order a stock venturi and put some mesh over it before you go through the bother of taking the engine down and putting a crank in it.  The mesh restricts the air and improves fuel feed by reducing air flow.  This may make the engine less temperamental. A drilled out venturi will make an engine difficult to operate.

A good source for mesh is pantyhose.  The brightly colored thin rubber hair rubber bands work pretty well for restraining everything.  Just cut small squares of mesh and pop them on.

A side benefit is the mesh keeps dirt out of the engine in case of bad landings.

Phil

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 05:45:13 PM »
Order a stock venturi and put some mesh over it before you go through the bother of taking the engine down and putting a crank in it.  The mesh restricts the air and improves fuel feed by reducing air flow.  This may make the engine less temperamental. A drilled out venturi will make an engine difficult to operate.

A good source for mesh is pantyhose.  The brightly colored thin rubber hair rubber bands work pretty well for restraining everything.  Just cut small squares of mesh and pop them on.

A side benefit is the mesh keeps dirt out of the engine in case of bad landings.

Phil

Phil...
Great mention of the restriction of air with the panty hose mesh. A notable difference!

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 08:01:51 PM »
The medallion carb assembly (with spraybar through the middle) will provide much better suction for running without pressure than the TD sprinkler set-up. You can replace the spring on the Med. needle valve with a piece of fuel tubing cut to the correct length to eliminate air leaks. H^^
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 08:28:42 PM »
Andrew,

I would be happy to trade a medallion for one of your TD engines. Let me know if interested.

Ron

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here