News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:45:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Longer run time for Babe .049?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline John Castle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • The Bent Pin
Longer run time for Babe .049?
« on: March 03, 2009, 03:44:43 PM »
Is there a way to modify a Cox Babe .049 to use an external tank and increase the run time?

John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Longer run time for Babe .049?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 03:53:04 PM »
John, as far as i know , you could sub a sure start backplate if you have one or cut a hole in the original tank for a fuel pickup hose to run to the external tank. I believe Kavan and some others made tank extenders for Cox tanks, not sure how they worked or the availability.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 05:15:16 PM »
I am gambling that this will work, but on the Tech Terror, I have buried a tank in the nose of the plane.  I plan to have its fuel pickup go to one of the vents on the Golden Bee tank, and cap the other vent.  The engine should drain the extra tank, then its own.  We'll see if that works.

Plan B is that Kavan made a tank extender that bolts between the tank and backplate giving well over double the run time.  You may be able to find one on e-Bay or a request in the wanted/sale portion of this website.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:32:21 PM »
Never tried this myself, but I saw a picture once.  The guy had drilled a hole in the back of the tank and through the firewall of the plane large enough for a fuel line.  He connected the fuel line to the place inside the tank where the pick up would normally fit and then passed the other end of the fuel line through the drilled hole to a tank inside the fuselage of the airplane.  The cox tank essentially became a dry engine mount that also camouflaged the fuel line leading to the internal tank.  Although he had a larger fuel capacity the tank appeared stock to the casual observer. 
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
I would vote for the Sure Start or the previous version plastic backplate made for using an external tank.  I will gladly swap you one complete backplate mount with needle valve,a good gasket and reed for your Babe Bee tank, and throw in a small Perfect brand wedge tank to hold the fuel. 
There is also a guy on E-bay who bought a bunch of Sure Starts and parted them out- he probably has a backplate-but the cost + shipping may be a bit much, don't know for sure. 
The Kavan tank extenders worked, but tended to leak, if you tightened the screws some more to stop the leak they sometimes cracked.
I would advise against drilling holes in the tank or backplate - I just don't like seeing good parts modified to do a job that other readily available parts are designed to do.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Larry Lindburg

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 08:06:21 AM »
Hopefully the picture of my little Babe Bee-powered Deweybird will come through here.  Clear plastic tubing exits a hole in the side of the Babe Bee tank to the external tank.  It runs very nicely.  Check this out: 
AMA 95707

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:47:48 AM »
Larry,

That's a nice flying little plane. The engine appears to be a Black Widow front end on a Babe Bee tank. Runs great in the video.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline John Castle

• Commander
  • The Bent Pin
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:11:49 AM »
Larry,
Nice video,what size of tank do you have in the Dewybird? I am also assuming that the fuel line goes through the hole in the tank and hooks directly to the fuel pick up by the needle valve?

John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline Larry Lindburg

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 12:17:54 PM »
The tank is a Perfect (now Brodak) wedge of 3/4 oz.  I have not timed it but it probably runs five to six minutes.  The fuel line connects to the nipple on the backplate inside.  I use a small piece of copper tubing as a coupling between the engine tubing and the external tank tubing.  I don't know if the front end is a Black Widow or not, but but the cylinder does have dual ports.  It runs fairly well.  I use 42' X .012's to keep from getting dizzy.  I only fly this plane one day a year, but it is definitely one of the most enjoyable planes I have.     
AMA 95707

Offline John Castle

• Commander
  • The Bent Pin
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 09:02:33 PM »
That worked out pretty well. A quick hole drilled in the tank and presto a larger tank. I will test run it tomorrow and see how it does. The tank is a balloon in a small container I found at the Dollar store. It seems to hold about 1/2 an oz. In fact I got 12 of them for a dollar. They were in the wedding section and are used to hold bubble solution.  A life time supply of balloons cost a dollar as well. :!

John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 10:29:15 PM »
John, as a note,  remember to draw all the air possible out of the balloon with your syringe before filling, it will run much better!! 
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
John
There is a good way to modify cox tanks for longer flights.  Look at my post "Cox Pee Wee .020 tank mods" in this section.  Go to page 6 of the index to find it.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 04:47:25 PM »
Is that a Man-Win trainer you have that mounted on.  If so, you won't be disappointed.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here