News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:49:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lit'l Jumpin' Bean  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Lit'l Jumpin' Bean
« on: September 11, 2023, 10:03:11 PM »
Will a Cox Golden Bee pull a Lit'l Jumpin' Bean on 42 x .010 with 20% nitro and still do a few stunts?

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Lit'l Jumpin' Bean
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 07:00:57 AM »
Will a Cox Golden Bee pull a Lit'l Jumpin' Bean on 42 x .010 with 20% nitro and still do a few stunts?
I had one of those as a kid, with a Golden Bee.  It will stunt just fine but I question 42'.  I flew mine on 35' dacron, but that was a space issue.  Line length was always 1/2 the distance between the trees! LL~  We used those Cox "Roll Um Up" handles since the trees were not always the same distance apart in our back yards.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 11:41:00 AM »
Sometime around 1963 we discovered the idea of putting a TD cylinder on a Babe Bee and a Golden Bee.

Since then, nobody remembers what a single port cylinder will do, other occupy space in a parts box.  We need somebody with the skills and tools to cut the second bypass.

A TeeDee stunter works good on 46' lines for me and could use more.
Paul Smith

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 02:37:27 PM »
That's why I wanted to know what a Golden Bee will pull so I don't have to do all those mods.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 05:44:02 PM »
Your biggest handicap is not likely the single port cylinder, it is the .010 lines. Are these repurposed Mouse I lines? Switch to either .008 stranded or some lighter Spyderwire and you'd be in much better shape. I fly a SIG Baby Skyray on .008x42 with no issues but that is using a "product engine," so dual port. Single port on a Beginner Ringmaster on the same lines. No loops attempted on that one so far. And a Medallion on a Baby Clown is outstanding....again on .008x42's.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 08:12:22 AM »
I remember flying the Lil Jumping' Bean with a Cox Golden Bee.  What a fun time back then.  The plane performs well with the Golden Bee, but not enough fuel for the full pattern.  We never tried more than loops, inverted, and lazy eights, but that was enough for us back then.

We also did 1/2A combat with it, along with the 1/2A Ringmasters and Flite Streaks.  I do not remember using lines any longer than about 35 feet, those Dacron lines that came on the little spool.  And that red plastic handle.  Was that the Carl Golberg one, with the line adjustment feature?

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 01:46:33 PM »
When did the Bean come out?  My memory banks have it somewhere around 1959.  Those really were the days.  Our Cox 1/2a's were like today's video games.  Everybody was doing it, well almost everybody. 

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2023, 05:47:35 PM »
              The Golden Bee was offered early with a single ported Babe Bee cylinder, later versions came out with dual porting similar to the Black Widow.  In addition, the tanks of the Golden Bee also underwent big changes. The earlier venturi within the tank are .062" while the later were .082". The same goes for the intake hole on the backplate itself.  These changes have a major impact on power from one to the other. It essentially comes down to measuring what you have. I have both tanks in front of me and you can see the substantial difference in the venturi hole. I just don't have success on here sending pics.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2023, 06:33:14 PM »
The Li'l Jumpin' Bean was kit number G-8, and was preceded by the Swordsman 18 (G-3), Stuntman 23 (G-6) and the Spaceman 30 (G-7). As often the case, the plans do not show a date, possibly because they didn't want their kits to seem outdated? Who knew we'd be building them 60+ years later, with no regard for "state of the art?"

I love the style of all of the Goldberg plans. The isometrics showing how to proceed. The Brodak reproduction retained the Goldberg plan, but changed some of the engineering. In particular, they provided a nylon engine mount. A very fine mount, but I think for a Bean, I'd do it just like the original, just because.

AHC advertised the Stuntman 23 in September of 1960 (and possibly earlier), but not the Bean--yet. In May of 1959 for example, AHC was advertising the Swordsman 18 and the 1/2A Blazer, but not yet the Bean. But by early 1961, AHC was selling the Bean for $1.49 or you could get a Little Toot for $1.69. So Ken's answer is probably within 12 months of the first introduction.

I recall reading a chronology as given by Goldberg himself, going thru the logic of each and the tentative and somewhat unexpected growth of his venture. Wish I could find that again.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 09:17:43 PM »
Simple answer.  Try it and find out.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 06:40:25 PM »
Just a suggestion but try PowerPro Spectra 20# rated lines at 35'. Similar to Dracon lines. 

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2023, 08:48:50 PM »
Just a suggestion but try PowerPro Spectra 20# rated lines at 35'. Similar to Dracon lines. 

y1  Or even 10#

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2023, 09:46:46 PM »
The little baby bee planes I use to fly would pull about 0#. I remember those Dacron lines. Use to feel like clothes line rope. I'll just get some .008 stainless and a magnifying glass to wrap with.

You guys know any other cool little planes for a Golden bee?

Thanks,
MM 8)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2023, 10:24:59 PM »
The little baby bee planes I use to fly would pull about 0#. I remember those Dacron lines. Use to feel like clothes line rope. I'll just get some .008 stainless and a magnifying glass to wrap with.

Thanks,
MM 8)

I stuck Golden Bee's on just about everything that would take one back then.  My favorite as far as flying was the Baby Flight Streak.  Combat Kittens were fun and there was a series of kits by Sterling about the time of the Baby Ringmaster that were really good fliers.  There was a P-47, F4F Wildcat, a Zero and I think a Navion.  The little Zilch was also a good flier but rather flimsy.  That is me with the Sterling F4F on the end of some really short lines in 1959.  Small back yard!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2023, 12:00:59 AM »
The Li'l Satan is fun. Flew this one from the Brodak kit on 26' of 30lb test Spectra. Why 26'? Well, that's what the plans recommended. Made my knees shake doing whatchamadingys like the combat guys do. One buddy flew it and it took a LOT of concentration for him to fly it level. He hadn't flown in years, I don't think. Another friend immediately got dibs on the next flight. He was doing great until it got lost behind his head somewhere and "WHUMP" it took out a gopher hill. Took it home, washed out the engine and all was good. I think 35' lines would be waaaaay more practical. Depends on whether you like shakyknees or not....

A guy at the field has a Baby Barnstormer that flies really well on Cox power. That might be an option?

The Divot

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2023, 10:56:19 AM »

Thanks,
MM 8)

If you can find one, it is the Big Otto.  I think it was a Scientific kit.  Combat plane, if I remember.  Good performer.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2023, 11:20:49 AM »
Ken, cool pic. Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2023, 12:53:56 PM »
MM,

Are you looking for built-up wing, or flat plank wing?

Lil Satan templates are on Outerzone, and a Lil Satan clone is on Flying lines.org (Wido Satan): http://flyinglines.org/kb.widosatan.html

Have you looked on Outerzone?
There is a pile of 1/2A stuff there. In particular are profile models with built up wings. The Outerzone search works well if you know a model's name. Otherwise, the advanced search works great for searching by particulars...wing span, CL, trainer , sport...etc.
DuaneH from CEF parked a copy of the Top Flite Junior Aces models up there:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=13602

I like this one too;
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4409

Don't ask me why, but I'm a sucker for this one:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=12606

Then there is Hippocketaeronautics: https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=18108.0;attach=126731;image

And there is AeroFred.com too: https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=79651

The above are listed only so you can find the sites. A lot of models are available from each of them.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 04:30:03 PM by 944_Jim »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2023, 01:20:46 PM »

Absolutely. I have done complete more-or-less recognizable full stunt patterns with exactly that combination. 6-3 Top Flight.

Brett

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2023, 10:37:35 PM »
Fun thread. Brought back some memories.

Had a C/L flying friend that was a few years older than me. He provided for my first ever combat match. He was flying a Lil' Jumpin' Bean sans landing gear. (Likely powered with a Golden Bee.) I was flying a Golden Bee powered Combat Kitten.

He had it all over me on skills. As dad pulled our car into the flying field, I could see him flying and doing figure 8's. My heart kind of sunk, for I was only able to do sloppy wing overs and equally sloppy loops.

He may have had better skills than I had, but I had Lady Luck flying with me that day. Our first match (and only match as I recall) I somehow found him and stayed after him as I darted up and down with my Kitten going after his streamer... I somehow cut it completely off!! (i.e. Killed him.)

Wow, I felt SO GOOD having won my first ever combat match!

Looking back, he may have thrown the match, knowing that such would probably set the hook in me for life. It worked. I've been enamored with combat off/on ever since. Though it didn't fall my way to compete in organized combat, it was a motivating dream of mine into my very early 20s and oft times helped me to not get into any more mischief than I did. (Because instead of being out seeking mischief, I would be at home building a couple more combat planes and getting ready for another weekend of flying!)

I think all of us "long timers" have great memories from our youth and time spent with our C/L airplanes. I know I sure do.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2023, 09:02:37 PM »
Ah the early days when we would see the guys that had been at CL flying for a while.  Also my Dad would tell people that wanted to know why he let me build and finish plus fly those toy airplanes as they saw it.  His statement was. "At least I know where his is when he is not doing home work". D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2023, 08:56:40 AM »
The Li'l Satan is fun. Flew this one from the Brodak kit on 26' of 30lb test Spectra. Why 26'? Well, that's what the plans recommended. Made my knees shake doing whatchamadingys like the combat guys do. One buddy flew it and it took a LOT of concentration for him to fly it level. He hadn't flown in years, I don't think. Another friend immediately got dibs on the next flight. He was doing great until it got lost behind his head somewhere and "WHUMP" it took out a gopher hill. Took it home, washed out the engine and all was good. I think 35' lines would be waaaaay more practical. Depends on whether you like shakyknees or not....

A guy at the field has a Baby Barnstormer that flies really well on Cox power. That might be an option?

The Divot

Oooo! Oooo! Memory jog!

During my "Endless Summer" of 1970 (LOTS happened in my life with C/L during that year, especially from summer on), amid my .36 size combat wing flying, on a lark I built a Lil' Satan. I put a twin port Golden Bee on the nose that I had. Like Dave Hull, I put it on the recommended (26 1/2 ft?) flying lines.

My first flight: The short lines made its speed sensation feel as fast as a big combat plane, but it was VERY light on the lines and TWITCHY TWITCHY! It was a very sensitive little airplane. I did a few loops and such... but it was a handful for my fledgling stunting skills.

As soon as I landed, a young friend of mine (David Jamell) put up one of his 1/2A plank wings.

My mentor, Bill James (an experienced contest combat flier during the early-mid sixties with a 3rd place in Open Combat at the '63 Nats), wanted to fly my Lil' Satan alongside David. I gladly agreed. In seconds we had the Golden Bue buzzing and Bill ran out and took his place beside David. David had a "what the ??" look on his face!

As soon as Bill was airborne he settled in beside David, both were all smiles. What happened next I had never seen before (my exposure to really good C/L fliers, combat fliers in particular, was essentially non-existent at the time). Anyway, Bill was on the backside of the circle, and quick as a flash he took the Lil' Satan into an outside loop, and pulled out just a few inches off the ground inverted, flying low and hidden... heading back toward David. Like lighting and then snapped up under him in what would have been a perfect "Kill" scenario had there been streamers attached. I could hear the guffaws from Bill outside the circle (he was having a blast) and David yelled "WHERE did YOU come from??" in amazement.

Very soon, David ran out of fuel, and once he was on the ground, Bill schooled us on just what a Lil' Satan was capable of. His flying exhibition with that Lil' Satan was so impressive to this young man. He whipped that little airplane through eights and all sorts of tight, turning maneuvers. As you can see, I've never forgotten it.

Such good memories!

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here