News:

• May 23, 2024, 09:25:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Line length  (Read 870 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Line length
« on: June 28, 2020, 01:41:41 PM »

Guy's I am gonna build a Sky Ray 1/2A  for our half " A "  day and I want to use power pro 20# test lines in 40' length using a Cox .049 Baby B engine, will this work and if not please advise and suggest..  Thanks
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Line length
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 03:05:18 PM »
Guy's I am gonna build a Sky Ray 1/2A  for our half " A "  day and I want to use power pro 20# test lines in 40' length using a Cox .049 Baby B engine, will this work and if not please advise and suggest..  Thanks
40' might be a bit much for a Baby Bee.  Back in the day I flew all of mine on 25-30'

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:06:02 AM »
good plane...week engine (typically)....old guy I highly recommend a Medallion with screw in back plate Radial mount and simple balloon tank

line length dictated by plane weight, engine authority, prop, line drag*, and local winds

long draggy lines will turn a light under-powered plane into the circle
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 09:09:41 PM »
 I fly my 1/2a on 48, lines.
Al

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 06:33:44 AM »

Al, could I get some more info such as power plant,model weight and specs, as well as other info that you will share, and thanks...and line size..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Online Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 07:18:06 AM »
Al, could I get some more info such as power plant,model weight and specs, as well as other info that you will share, and thanks...and line size..
     My model weight is 13 oz, prop is a APC 6x3 or 6x2, engine is a Norvel .061, stock head, using a bladder tank. The lines are 48' .008 7 strand. l flew it at Brodak last year but scratched out of the contest when it was my turn to fly, winds pick up over 35mph.
Al

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »
Legs-in-boots,

Another data point:

SIG Baby Skyray with added gussets along wing joint (upper surface) and stab. Added landing gear (1/16" wire) and one inch Williams Bros wheels. Rubber tires, not foam. Monokote on wings, stab and elevators. KlassKote on the rest.

Cox product engine (twin port with the dual slit exhaust), standard glowhead, Baby Bee tank. No mods, no hop-ups. Mounted upright.

Weight is 184 gm (6.5 oz.) less propeller. That includes a whopping big fender washer (1-1/2" diameter) for tip weight, as I use the plane for ab initio training of kids I drag out of the parking lot.

I fly it on .008x42' lines using a Renger/RSM 1/2A handle that works well. The long lines are good for slower rotation for beginners. It will wingover and loop if not too breezy. It will fly mostly straight and level in a pretty good breeze with this combination. I might take a couple feet off the lines and reduce the tipweight if I was trying to do much stunting.

I think your choice of 20 lb test Spectra is a good one.

My Skyray has had a LOT of beginner flights, and is still capable....

Good luck with yours!

McDivot

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here