News:

• May 09, 2024, 12:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: leadouts suggestions on Queen Bee  (Read 890 times)

Offline ken cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
leadouts suggestions on Queen Bee
« on: February 06, 2008, 03:20:32 PM »
           I've seen the posts on the the .020 Queen Bee. I built mine from a photo copied print . The print illustrated a Perfect 1/2 a bellcrank. I just so happened to have a few and this is what I used. The print shows the bellcrank being supported on the backside of the motor mounts. I posted a question in the past regarding this installation. The print shows a screw going through which in my opinion wouldn't work with the configuration as drawn. I used a 1/8 dowel, and copper tubing used as spacers to keep the bellcrank centered. I didn't make the clearance very tight and the bellcrank has some side to side play. I'm not sure of the diameter of music wire leadouts I used. I showed a friend who felt what I used was too heavy. The problem that I'm struggling with is the leadouts keep snagging on the slot the bellcrank is centered in. Ideally dacron lines would be the solution, I just never tried this on an aluminum bellcrank. This sounds like disaster. The print shows a piece of .030 wire used for the strut to connect the upper and lower wing. In the middle it is bent in a coil to serve as the leadout guide. Would both wires pass through this coil or would one be floating in the air? I eliminated the wire and used 1/32 ply for struts. I made them quite thin to keep weight down. I can drill 2 holes in the strut making the forward one in the same location as the print specs. I've never seen this plane or an .020 sized plane even fly before.My question related to my topic is what is the size wire needed to fly this plane, and is dacron or spiderwire tied to the plane suitable? If and when I ever figure out my dig camera I'd love to show it. Wings are covered in yellow jap tissue with clear and the total fuse is purple jap tissue.  Ken Cook

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: leadouts suggestions on Queen Bee
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 04:25:11 PM »
The original suggested running your flying lines through the loop in the strut (both of them) and tying thm to the bellcrank directly.  I did this with my first one and it worked OK, using Spiderwire. On my next one I used Spiderwire for leadouts so I could disconnect the lines, that worked OK too.  I just "wove" it through several holes in the BC so there was nothing to snag on the BC slot. 

I'll post some pics later if you want.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline ken cook

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 04:38:44 PM »
        Ray, thanks for your quick response. I was trying to get a closer look at your leadout configuration in your suspended bellcrank posts. If you could provide pictures of your Queen Bee leadouts that would be terrific. I can't wait to fly this. It was a plane I started a year ago and put it on the back burner due to minor problems I encountered. Once the interest level went down I went onto other projects. Well its that close and I'm excited. Thanks once again, Ken Cook

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 01:30:44 AM »
Ken, I looked through my Queen Bee photos and none showed the LO setup.  I'll take some new ones and post them, probably tmw evening (Thurs.).  Sorry for the delay but life keeps getting in the way of the hobby!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 07:32:37 PM »
Here's the promised pics...
Showing Spiderwire leadouts--i put a 2-hole guide on when I went to separate leadouts so the line clips wouldn't snag each other.  When I was using a continuous line all the way to the bellcrank, I ran both lines through the single loop in the strut wire.

Next, best I could do to show the BC connection--looped several times through one hole, then extends over to the other arm and loops several times through that one too, then extends for the other leadout.

Finally, a coupla full-body pics with the .010 installed.  Looks right, doesn't it?  That's a really micro engine.

--Ray

P.S. if you think the plane looks a little rough, understand it's been sifted through tree limbs more than once...
--Ray 
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here