News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:02:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Home for Children at Oxford  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Hooters restaurant on Oahu
    • Revolution Sensor Company
Home for Children at Oxford
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:45:19 AM »
Yesterday, April 23, I went back up to the Home for Children at Oxford, NC.  I've been helping them over the last few years to build and fly 1/2 A C/L planes.  This time, we were bulding the Black Hawk Models Stuntmaster (a Walt Musciano model).  This set of kits was donated by Larry Rice of Black Hawk Models (thanks again Larry!!!).

We built 14 planes, and one older child (17) picked up a kit to build later by himself.  So, we had 15 kids altogether this time.  We got the tail sections completed, and attached the tails and wings to the fuselages.  We still have to add the control systems, do some sanding, and painting.

On Sunday, I'll be going back to help the kids to fly some of the planes previously built.  Everyone is welcome to join us on Sunday.  I'll be there around 1:00 PM.

We have about 30 kids participating in total.  But there are a lot of other things that kids do, so usually have about 12 to 15 participants at any given time.  Children at the home range in age from infant to 18 years old.  Kids as young as 3 or 4 participate in our "Model Airplane Days".  For the youngest ones, sometimes I pick them up, and we hold the handle together as we go around.  For those about 5 or 6 and older, I usually take off, then we hold the handle together for a while, then I let go and they have control of the plane.  It's always loads of fun. 

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Home for Children at Oxford
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:59:11 PM »
David,
          We were glad to help you with your project. I want you to know about the great team of people that I work for and with. Everyone here gave up their day off in order to come in and put your kits together. When we got a bill from Sig for the paint everyone chipped in. The partners, that I work for, decided to send the engines. So you see it was a real team project by everyone here. Everyone at Black Hawk Models is proud of what you are doing and we are happy to be a small part of it. So if there is anything more that we can do please let me know.
Larry
Captain Blackhawk

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 07:13:59 AM »
Wasn't so far I would be there to help.  I think getting people started flying is more fun than contests at times.  Hope some local guys will volunteer to come help.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 12:45:33 PM »
Thanks to everyone at BlackHawk Models!

And also thanks to Bill Mandakis at BJM Enterprises (a distributor of BlackHawk Models) for his help.

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 02:48:58 PM »
Here is a idea that may help.Those that are coming to Hunterville bring any modeling supplies and small {1/2A} motors that you would like to donate to Dave for the kids. If Dave doesn't make it to pick any donations I will take it to him myself.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »
That would be great!  I won't be able to make it to Huntersville, and so I appreciate Ed's offer. 

I went to the children's home on Sunday for a flying day.  There were 15 kids, including a lot of new kids, so we flew my planes instead of the ones the kids have built.  I brought 15 planes, and went home with 3 planes still flyable.  One of the girls was about 4 years old, so I held her up and we held the handle together, and we even did some loops.  (That was a Stuntmaster kit that BlackHawk Models supplied and I built, trimming the weight and using a Babe-Bee engine and fall-away landing gear.)

I'm not allowed to publish photos of the kids without getting special permission for a given photo, due to privacy rules.  But I'll try to get permission for such a photo sometime during the summer so you can see how much the kids are enjoying it (and me too).  Attached is a "before" photo of the planes I brought on Sunday. 

Since we had a lot of new kids, I asked the kids together to pick out the plane they liked the best.  I took that one out of the lineup before we started flying.  Then each child put their name in a hat.  The winner took home the plane with engine, ready to fly next time.

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »
Thanks for the picture, Dave.
That is a very good thing you're doing. I have been aproached at church about doing the same thing. I think i'm going to build them out of foam board though!
Chris...

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 04:36:42 PM »
Chris:  I didn't build my planes from scratch for this effort because instead, I rounded up all of the planes and parts that I had kicking around since I was a kid, and repaired them.  Some of these planes are over 40 years old.  Then with some sanding and paint, they looked and flew OK.  Now these planes have all been crashed many times since working with the kids, but the solid wing/profile fuse models are not difficult to repair.  I originally tried some of the Cox plastic planes, but they didn't fly well, except for the ones with the foam wings.  But the foam wings Cox models had problems with the fuel tanks and the fuselages being difficult to repair.

Good luck with your church group.  Please let me know what design you end up using.

Dave

Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 09:29:31 AM »
David   At the contest no one gave me anything to bring to you. I am going to see if there are motors or complete planes within the club that we can get to you.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 04:27:40 PM »
OK Ed.  Thanks for your help!

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 11:11:33 AM »
A couple of months ago, the kids at the childrens' home (it used to be called an orphanage, but now it is preferred to call it a childrens' home) started assembling some Stuntmaster kits supplied by Larry Rice and Black Hawk Models.  We've been mostly flying instead of building, but recently got back to working on those models.  The building is complete, and 9 of them have been painted (glue, cans of spray paint, and some OK Cub engines, were also supplied by Black Hawk.  Thanks!).  I'll go back up soon to help them finish the painting and to mount the engines.  I think we'll have completed 18 altogether, but there are 14 in the attached photo.  I need to round up five more engines.

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 04:27:29 PM »
Hi Dave,

I have several Cub .049B's, a couple of Cox Golden Bees, and a couple of Cox Product engines without tanks. I'll send you a complete list when I have time to go through them.

Let me know if you want them, and how many of the Cubs you want with integral tanks.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 08:11:08 PM »
Hi Bill.  We've been using Cubs, Babe Bees, Golden Bees, Black Widows, etc.  Any .049 with the integral tank.  Right now, I have nine OK Cubs and four Bees, so we are looking for five more engines to finish the Stuntmasters.  Then we'll start another set of planes probably in September or November, and then we'll be looking for some more engines.  The engines you have should be great. 

Thanks,

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 07:48:14 PM »
Dave,

Two Golden Bees, and three Cub .049B's are ready to ship, so please send me an address.

One of the GB's is missing the prop screw and spinner, so I've included a couple of 5X40 screws that you can cut to length. Sorry, but I don't have another Cox spinner on hand, or any #5 prop washers.

One of the Cubs has been run on the bench. I ran it for old times sake about ten years ago, and it started instantly, just as I remembered from fifty years ago. It's the one with the gray APC prop.

Hope these Cubs are not too difficult for the kids to mount, as the rear mounted cylindrical tanks require a round clearance hole through the firewall.

I'm also including a few odds and ends that may be of some help, plus a new OK .049 cylinder/piston/head assembly that can be used to rebuild a Cub .049A, or B, and a spare Cub .049 head with glow plug.

You have my greatest respect, for the work you are doing with those kids.  H^^

If one or two of them become long term model airplane enthusiasts, it will be worth all the effort you have expended, and will justify the generosity of all those who have contributed.

Bill

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 07:37:07 AM »
Thanks Bill!  I forwarded my mailing address to your email address.

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 12:56:12 PM »
Dave ---  What you are doing is great,  keep it up !!!   I have a small program going in the Erie area for some of
              the inner city kids and I know hard it is to scrounge up equipment.  I am using 1/2A also.   I have a good
              supply of handles/lines so if you could use some I'd be glad to send you 8 or 9 sets.  One of our club
              members made a large supply for me. 

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 07:38:43 PM »
Dave,

Package went out this morning via the USPS.

I insured it for $200. If it doesn't arrive in a week or so, please let me know.

Bill

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 04:41:45 PM »
Thanks Bill !  That will be great !  I'll be up to see the kids again on September 7, to finish up some planes and to do some flying.

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 05:04:50 PM »
Hi Bill.  I received your box of engines, props, fuel tanks, hardware, etc.  Thanks!  They should work out great. 

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 07:22:02 PM »
Dave,

My pleasure!  H^^

Don't forget that Cox .049 product engines are still selling for less than the cost of a Cox glow head. They might work on those Black Hawk models, with a little attention to the rod seating, and some inexpensive balloon tanks.

Bill

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 08:34:19 PM »
I didn't know that Cox engines were still available.  Where?

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 09:12:58 PM »
Dave,

Try this:

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=008901

$6.99 last time I ordered.

Bill

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 01:02:48 PM »
Dave,

Try this:

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=008901

$6.99 last time I ordered.

Bill
I actually bought several of these for a Boy Scout building project here in Huntsville Al. But the lack of a tank is a bit of a problem.  How hard can it be to build tanks out of brass sheet?  Looking at the cost of 6" x 12" brass it shouldn't cost more than $1 per tank.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 02:10:51 PM »
John,

Certainly no problem with building small tanks, if you don't mind the tedious bending, and soldering.

I think Brodak is marketing the old Perfect line of tanks, so being a lazy kind of guy, I buy those tanks from Sam's Hobbies and Stuff.  ;D

Bill

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 05:29:04 PM »
There is a simple 1/2a fuel tank that is less that a dollar, invented by Jim Walker and marketed by Carl Goldberg. Small balloon with a fuel line stuck half way into it with a rubberband closing the balloon's neck around the fuel line, that is it. If put on a profile you will need a box around it to support it. As the fuel is used the balloon colapses. Remember not to force fuel into the balloon, it is not a pressure tank.
Larry

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »
There is a simple 1/2a fuel tank that is less that a dollar, invented by Jim Walker and marketed by Carl Goldberg. Small balloon with a fuel line stuck half way into it with a rubberband closing the balloon's neck around the fuel line, that is it. If put on a profile you will need a box around it to support it. As the fuel is used the balloon colapses. Remember not to force fuel into the balloon, it is not a pressure tank.
Larry

Does the nitro fuel eat the balloon?  I have seen pictures of this in the past but have never tried it.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 02:51:03 PM »
I have found that after a month or so that the balloon needs to be replaced, I would not make it's installation permeate.
Larry

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 08:48:49 AM »
I went to the childrens home on Sunday, Sept. 7, and we had a great time.  There were about 25 kids who flew.  I couldn't get an exact count because the kids weren't holding still, and also because I was quite busy.  Four of the kids were about four or five years old, so I held them up with one arm, while we held the control handle together as we went around.  For some reason, doing that seems to get me to the verge of becoming dizzy. When I did two or three of those in a row, then I was definitely getting a little dizzy, although I never get dizzy at all when controlling a plane by myself. 

I had purchased 30 of the "Pilot" patches from the AMA, and handed one out to each child who flew.  We also had a drawing.  I had written down a number previously, and each child picked a number from one to one hundred.  Then I showed them the number I had previously written down, and the closest guess won the prize.  The prize was their choice of the 15 planes that I had brought with me, complete with engine and ready to fly.

We flew all day, so I didn't get time to help some of the kids finish the planes that they had started last month.  So, my next visit will be for helping them to finish those fifteen planes and mount the engines.

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here