News:

• May 04, 2024, 08:19:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ho, ho , ho, Green Giant (New large half A)  (Read 1557 times)

Offline John Crocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Ho, ho , ho, Green Giant (New large half A)
« on: August 21, 2007, 02:15:20 PM »
Well I finished it.  Built up and 1.5 X size version of my Phoenix. 30.5" wingspan 14" body.  Don't know the weight yet, but feels bout ring  n~.  AP .061 Wasp with 1 oz clunk tank.  CG is 1.5" behind the leading edge right in between the leadouts.  Not really happy with the paint job.  Every time I paint something silver I cuss about the paint job.  Stuff just does not brush on well.   You'd think I'd learn after 35 yrs, love the clear green mono though.

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
Re: Ho, ho , ho, Green Giant (New large half A)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 03:38:48 PM »
John,

If you give the surface a good smooth buildup of clear and really thin the silver it will fow out and cover better.   y1
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »
Was it my airplane, I would move the CG up at least to the front line for the first flight.  Then move it back, or not, as needed.

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:21:06 AM »
Well, I fly the Green Giant, it was SWEEEET! y1

Got in four flights over at the local school with my boy.  The wing I built creates so much lift if rises off the ground with no up elevator, actually took to giving it down elevator on the take off run to build up speed.  Couple notes to self. 

Half a tank (tank is a 1oz clunk) is more than enough for me (bout 5-6 minutes) and it actually flies better on a 1/3 tank.  Very fast tight manuevers.  The .061 witha 6X2 AC pulls it CLEANLY through a loop, both inside and outside.

Need to lengthen lines at least 10'.  35' lines are just too short to effectively fly clean manuevers with this big plane and at the speed, (3 second laps) it was going through fig 8's faster than I could keep up with it.

Glide characteristics are excellent, got a full lap after the engine cut out and pulled in for a clean rolling landing.  My boy was like  %^@ (woohoo DAD!)

Another note, I suck at flying upside down on short lines.  Looks like I built it plenty strong enough too, cause I pile drove it at full throttle.  Pulled a little monokote loose from the fuselage and broke the prop, but no other issues that are visible.  Everything feels good and tight.

In all I LUV the Green Giant!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 07:33:30 PM »
Very interesting and clever treatment of the airfoil...diamond, with the advantage of building easy and straight laying flat on the table--but without a spar, between the ribs it assumes a more typical rounded airfoil due to the slight sag of the covering. Diamond is thick enough that it still maintains a nice airfoil between.  I may borrow the concept, OK? 

I like the size too, one of my current projects is 30" span, 200 sq. in. area, also destined for an .061 (see separate post).

By all means cut a set of 45' lines, I predict you'll like it even better!

--Ray

--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 08:27:50 PM »
Hey Ray,

Thanks for the props, feel free to use anything you want, I'm just in this cause its fun as he!!.  Only reason I went this way was it was fast and could accomodate the clunk tank I wanted to use.  I just never can seem to get an external tank to look or work right.  Stick it in the plane and voila, we have a flyer.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:55:55 AM »
Well, your tank is on (or near) the CG too, so balance doesn't change as fuel load runs out. That's another plus.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 04:28:40 AM »
Yep.  Its a little light on the controls til the tank gets to about 1/2 or 1/3 full, but then its anything goes.  1/2 a tank is plenty for me anyway so I just put in 4 tbs (I use a medicine syringe from Target as a fueler, they are free  ;D ) and have a ball.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 07:51:51 AM »
A couple of degrees of outthrust on the engine would help the light-on-the-lines syndrome.  Just slip a washer or two under the inboard mounting lugs on the MM, or under the front lugs of the engine, and give it a whirl.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here