News:

• May 04, 2024, 01:34:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has Anyone Tried These Motors ?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Has Anyone Tried These Motors ?
« on: September 07, 2007, 04:23:11 PM »
Hi Guys,
I was looking at a website for anodizing at  www.hypercolor.biz  and found their other specialty is taking reed valve cox engines and turning them into 22,000 rpm screamers with either drum-valve or disc-valve induction.
I am not big into 1/2 A power but these are cool looking engines.
I was just curious if any of you guys have experience with them.

Pat Robinson

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Has Anyone Tried These Motors ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 09:50:06 PM »
Hey Pat, i saw these motors for sale on e-bay a while back. I have fooled quite a bit with cox engines and am just a little skeptical of a sure start doing 20,000 rpm's. But i have been wrong before, would love to know more about the rear rotary delrin thing they talk about on their website. I didn't see any of these engines for sale on their site, only ported and polished sure starts. If i had a 4.2 x 4 prop that they use for their testing i would love to put one on one of my tee dee's to check the rpm's.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 11:10:37 PM »
Hi Ray,
I believe the Mangusta DR .049 drum rotor engine is a part of their custom engine business and the other type of engine is their regular product offering.
I noticed that he did some work for Larry Renger on an older Cox engine model so Larry may have some idea about this gentlemans work.  This gentleman is in Concord, NC which is only 40 miles or less from where I live which is one reason I took note of his website. 
I guess the Mangusta would be like buying a "custom level" of engine like a PA- 40 ultralight from Randy Smith instead of having Randy sell you a reworked stock type of engine like an OS LA-40. This is not a perfect analogy but I think it gets the idea across.

Given the time, energy, thought and effort this gentleman has devoted I would say that he is serious about Cox engines.  I guess the practical question is; does it have the performance to move beyond just being a unique collectible and become a usuable everyday engine.

Anyway, these are neat looking engines so I wanted to share with the forum.

Pat Robinson

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 08:53:53 AM »
Tim (the guy) hangs out in the 1/2A group at RC universe.  Look him up there. 

He also makes some nice cox- turbo plug conversion heads. 
He was recently in a car accident, so he may be difficult to contact for a while. 

Tim DOES fly these things so I would expect his numbers to be good.

see
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6188418/tm.htm
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 09:36:37 AM »

I have no personal experience with these engines but I do know that Tim is highly regarded for his personality, workmanship and a great person to deal with.
I have read nothing but praise for his products.

Let it be known however, that  Tim is facing a medical hardship concerning his daughter and that trying to buy from him right now may be a back seat issue till things get better. There are one or two customers who have had to wait longer than normal for their orders. I say family first and business second and If you do order and do not get first class service to be more than understanding in this matter.
If you are in a rush, don't blame Tim for bad service. Use your better judgment in this trying time for him.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 09:10:09 AM »
I did indeed have an engine anodized by Tim.  It came out beautiful!  I have not had any experience with his machining efforts, however.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 02:41:08 PM »
Hi Larry,

Your Space Hopper Cox looked like it would be terrific in the picture.
I have a friend who is a collector and his stock engines can't compare.
It seems that Tim has a good reputation for his services and products.
I just thought it was very clever to turn a reed valve Cox into a drum-rotor engine, which is why I decided to make this post. Larry, thanks for your reply.
                                                                   Pat Robinson

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 06:37:33 AM »
Those engines LOOK great, and I don't see why they would not be "Musciano-legal", assuming they're still using the reed valve.   $59.95 is not too high vis-a-vis the final list price of Black Widows.

If this guy can get a Product Engine to perform, he's only two mircales short of sainthood.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here