News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:16:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Half A Cessna Skymaster?  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Half A Cessna Skymaster?
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:21:30 AM »
Has anyone built a half A Cessna Skymaster?
Seems there was a kit for C/L years ago but I never saw one myself. Come to think of it I don't know of a R/C version for this engine class.

Sure is a pretty plane!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Half A Cessna Skymaster?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 08:27:21 PM »
I designed a Cessna Mixmaster for C*x, and it was produced.  Hunt one down and kill it on e-Bay.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:26:33 PM »
Larry, Now that you mention it I do recall such plane but have yet to be closer than a small picture of one.

I am giving some thought to possibly making one myself... The plane is just such a cool plane. Probably the best way to have a twin for C/L flying!

I have only found a small 3-view so far. Rather undesirable as it does not show the fuse in profile. It is obscured by the boom. Still it would be rather close.
 The range of color shemes is widely varied when one takes into account both civilian and military uses.

I think I would want a sport plane capable of at least some decent inside and outside loops, nothing truly fancy, yet something that would be fun to fly again and again. Not just once an outing like so many scale planes.

Hey! An .020 version as well?

Robert

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »
Aha! I think this is the one I remember reading about once. This may be the only reference I ever saw regarding this plane. This ad was in the Oct. 1973 issue of AAM.

So does anyone recall anything about this company or any of the planes they may have come out with besides the Skymaster?

Robert

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 10:49:05 AM »
One problem is that most of these engines don't like to be run as puhers.

Sure, they can run backwards, but the bearings are set up for FORWARD thrust.   Don't expect long life if you run a typical plain bearing 1/2A as a pusher.
Paul Smith

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 11:43:38 AM »
Heh! I almost fell over as I was reading your opening statement about Cox not being good pushers Knowing what most to about how so many reedies seem to start easier backwards than forwards! Of course you than cleared the air for us all! 

That said I will have to agree that all are not set up to run backwards However some were. It is my understanding that all is needed (provided it does not already have one) is a small, thin  brass or bronze washer between the prop drive plate and the nose of the case. When this wears down it can always be replaced and is not difficult to do.

As for being the best application for that matter any engine it may not be, however I just want to have fun! As for the preservation of the engines, There are few of us left who really want to run the engines, and fewer still waiting in the wings to take our place. Another possibility of course would be to go electric.

Such a grand looking plane with a grand heritage should not be frowned upon by us modelers.  To be shelved and cast aside... Would be unthinkable for me at least.

Robert

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 09:29:27 AM »
The washer may also be steel, and I bet teflon would work too!

Norvel and ap Wasp engines already have a washer, as does the Tee Dee .049/051.  Killer Bee and Venom engines have a washer too, as all these engines were often expected to be started with an electric starter.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 08:48:08 AM »
OK so if you are going to run it a lot, you want the washer...otherwise just squirt a drop of fuel behind the thrust washer (or thrust plate) and go.

Do you really want to run it backward? Seems to me that would double the torque in one direction. I would prefer a pusher (reverse pitch) prop.

If I remember correctly, on the full-size plane the intent of two engines was for short take-offs. Once at altitude, one engine (rear?) was shut down and the other used for cruising. Is this correct or am I thinking of another plane?

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 10:15:26 AM »
Thanks George!

So far as I know there is nothing written that the rear engine must be used in the model. However I will probably use the best configuration for flying. That is a ways away from now however.

The first write up I remember seeing was in a model magazine or Flying... I don't think it was designed speciffically to be flown on just one engine, using the second engine only for take off... I guess it was how you perceived the information printed. What I remember reading was that once altitude was reached, one engine COULD be shut down for fuel economy. Not being a pilot I have no idea what the actual general practice with a full size... I suppose I could ride out to the airport and talk to some of the pilots there. We have a really cool little airport here!

As for which engine was shut down I seem to remember it was the front engine. I would not bet my dog on it though!

More to research!

Robert

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 05:21:07 AM »
<Snip>
Do you really want to run it backward? Seems to me that would double the torque in one direction. I would prefer a pusher (reverse pitch) prop.

<Snip>
George
[/quote]

Re-think that process, George. If the front engine is running the usual Counter-Clockwise direction, and the rear engine is running in "reverse" (i.e., Clockwise) then you have the doubled torque reaction you mentioned. As you said in a following statement, I would prefer the pusher prop, too.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 09:45:27 AM »
<Snip>
Re-think that process, George. If the front engine is running the usual Counter-Clockwise direction, and the rear engine is running in "reverse" (i.e., Clockwise) then you have the doubled torque reaction you mentioned. As you said in a following statement, I would prefer the pusher prop, too.

Hi Ralph,

?... I thought that is what I said. I was referencing the idea that the reedies can run backward (CW) without modification using a standard prop installed backward, but it probably would be better to run it CCW with a pusher prop.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 09:51:10 PM »
Hi Ralph,

?... I thought that is what I said. I was referencing the idea that the reedies can run backward (CW) without modification using a standard prop installed backward, but it probably would be better to run it CCW with a pusher prop.

George

Doggone, George, I read your post wrong. In my defense (note the Post time), it was after a l-o-n-n-g sleepless night. DIHWIDT!!!
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
A possibility for this model could be an operating engine in front, dummie free wheeling prop in the back.  Would make designing and engine starting a lot easier.  As far as the real ones go, the first (called 336's) were fixed gear.  The idea of two inline engines was to make it easier (ergo safer) to fly if one engine failed in flight.  With counter-rotating props and inline thrust there was no yaw should this occur.  Many served (the 337 version) as O-2 spotter planes during the Viet-Nam war. 

Shutting one down to conserve fuel would not have been a good idea, to keep any sort of speed the remaining engine would have to be run at a high power setting, increasing both fuel consumption and wear and tear on the engine.   It is interesting to note that Cessna had to mandate a warning should the rear engine go out, the reason being too many pilots were attempting to take off after their rear engine quit unnoticed (usually after the run-up).  This often led to very short flights or quick trips through the airport fence (ouch!)  An interesting airplane and would make a great model.  H^^
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 05:34:23 PM »

m There was a radio 2 chanel sheet wing one as the free plan in aeromodler once, which could make a good C/L
version.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 11:16:23 PM »
I would be interested in such a plan!

Robert

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 10:36:06 AM »
This thread had me go Googling around the net for 337 mixmaster data, and danged if i didn't end up at the Hobby Lobby electric R/C site. They have an R/C version that comes with brushless motors, spped control, batterey and charger, + one of them fancy boxes with wiggly sticks for folks that can't fly C/L. Whole Package for under $250.

OK I admit it- I broke down and ordered one, "Hi- my name is Bill and I'm an Airplane-o-holic. I buy, build, and fly anything I can get my hands on."  Maybe it could be converted to C/L, but since I'm staying in a hotel 5 minutes from an Electric R/C field-I'll try it out as R/C first. I'll let ya know how it turns out- and if it looks like a posible C/L conversion project.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 03:40:19 PM »
Im have looked at that version a few times and in fact it stirred my interest! I do feel it could be made C/L . As a matter of fact this is an updated version (the brushless motors)  from an earlier version that had brushed motors and just before this one was offered, the earlier version went on clearance and sold for as little as $49.95!!! Including those wiggely stick thingies! I cannot tell you how tempted I was to get one then but I was financially strapped then (like most of the time) and had to pass... HB~>

I look forward to your efforts.

Robert

Advertise Here

Advertise Here