News:

• May 09, 2024, 02:30:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Got a childhood memory replaced  (Read 13341 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Got a childhood memory replaced
« on: January 11, 2015, 05:46:35 PM »
I had a few Cox c/l planes as a kid before I discovered that " Balsa Flies Better" , but always wanted the Stuka. A friend in high school had one, and it had the usual Stuka lifespan of 1.5 laps. He gave me the remains, and over time I collected odd bits to piece it back together, minus fwd Canopy, siren props and bomb. For Christmas this year Santa scoured e-bay and found one cheap enough to avoid confrontation with the CFO ( wife).  I used a sharpie to color the canopy frame so it looks better, otherwise this is how it came out of the box
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Got a childhood memory replaced
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 06:08:36 PM »
I had a few Cox c/l planes as a kid before I discovered that " Balsa Flies Better" , but always wanted the Stuka. A friend in high school had one, and it had the usual Stuka lifespan of 1.5 laps. He gave me the remains, and over time I collected odd bits to piece it back together, minus fwd Canopy, siren props and bomb. For Christmas this year Santa scoured e-bay and found one cheap enough to avoid confrontation with the CFO ( wife).  I used a sharpie to color the canopy frame so it looks better, otherwise this is how it came out of the box

Hi Bill.
Neat! Please dont subject it to that famous "1.5 lap environment!

Roger V.
50 miles east of you, when you are home!  :-)
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »
   Very cool and I entirely agree! Mine was the version with the yellow box that showed the airplane in a dive on the box art. I would like to find a box that has a good cover art section and crappy sides so I can frame it and hang it on the wall! Don't know if you visit the main forum or if this was posted here in the 1/2A section, but you may want to check out this video. Hope the link works!

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 11:46:13 AM »
It sure is interesting how this Cox Stuka model stirs the memories of us older guys.
Over the weekend a small group of local C/L folk gathered at my house for coffee and chin wag. One of the fellows told a similar story of really wanting this model when he was a lad and that he had also acquired a crashed unit many years later with the hope of restoration and the satisfying of a yearning that has never left him.

Orv.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 03:25:43 PM »
Now that I have a complete one for display, I plan to get the repaired one flying. I will try and 1 up your video with one of mine dropping the bomb! That option is another reason why so many crashed, if you pull the bomb release line too long/ hard/ too far, the other lines go slack!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 12:40:41 AM »
   I plan to try the bomb drop also. I think I have a couple around here. We ran out of good weather before I had the time to try it. A lot of the fuselages I have seen, and some I have, have that little tab broken off. It would be easy to rig a music wire substitute that took less pull to drop but would securely hold the bomb. Just hard to think about when it's single digit temperatures outside!
  Keep us posted! And by all means get it on video!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 08:05:07 PM »
Dan that is THE first time I have ever seen a "Box Cox" plane fly to an empty tank and I am amazed at your landing technique!  Can't wait to tell my truly old flying buddies that I actually saw this!
Thanks for a great post
Steve
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 11:47:58 PM »
Dan that is THE first time I have ever seen a "Box Cox" plane fly to an empty tank and I am amazed at your landing technique!  Can't wait to tell my truly old flying buddies that I actually saw this!
Thanks for a great post
Steve
  Thanks a lot Steve. I couldn't believe how long it ran and then couldn't believe how well the Stuka glides! I fully expected it to drop out of the sky like a stone, but it flew dead stick for a half lap easily. I flew it twice that day and both flights were the same. It flared on command about a foot off the ground and just settled in! When warmer weather gets here, I have a Corsair, P-40 and a Skyraider that will exercise their wings!
   Thanks again,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 05:38:10 AM »
   Very cool and I entirely agree! Mine was the version with the yellow box that showed the airplane in a dive on the box art. I would like to find a box that has a good cover art section and crappy sides so I can frame it and hang it on the wall! Don't know if you visit the main forum or if this was posted here in the 1/2A section, but you may want to check out this video. Hope the link works!
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Sc7QgN61g
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
Dan, You displayed just as much happiness as a young kid at his first successful flight. I guess that's why us old guys smile a lot when we see one of these old planes fly. :-)

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here