News:

• May 01, 2024, 08:26:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: getting an ok cub to pull  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
getting an ok cub to pull
« on: October 02, 2008, 06:41:55 PM »
I know some of you guy have gotten a cub to run well. how do you do it.
I tried 5 and 10 % nitro all castor on the two engines I have and one runs so so and the other runs hot.
I took my time breaking them in and I used a cox 5 1/2 X 3 prop.
its a brodak plane that weighs 5.2 ounces.
30 ft  .008 lines and they can't get out of their own way.
I KNOW I had one as a kid that worked much better.
can I drill out the intake a little?

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
Re: getting an ok cub to pull
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »
Bill,

OK Cubs have a low compression ratio so you might want to increase the nitro to 15%-25%, and since they are iron/steel use 20%-22% lube.

The one running hot may just need more break-in time. I would suggest a few heat cycles of run 1 minute, cool for five minutes. Is it binding anywhere?

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »
no bind, they flip over nice
and the first thing I did was check for air leaks, didn't find any.
 I'll try a few more break in tanks and see if they get better.

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 01:39:18 AM »
Bill,
What engines do you have?
I fly quite a few models both FF and C/C with Cub engines and for the most part, they do a good job.
I use 15% nitro with 20% castor. My Cubs seem to produce the most thrust with larger diameter props. I mostly use 6 x 3 on the .049s. I have a .074 that produces the best thrust on a 7 x 3.5 prop.
Do not drill out the intake as this will make the fuel draw marginal and setting the NV difficult.
I just finished restoring a 1954 Jim Walker Firebaby (who said ARFs are new?) with a period Cub .049X. I have since flown it a number of times and it really hauls that "Baby" around the sky... I'm very impressed with its performance.
If your engine gets hot it is either not broken in or the fuel doesn't have enough castor.

Orv.

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 05:42:26 AM »
Hello Bill.  Have you tried hotter plugs?

I don't want to claim any particular expertise
with OK Cubs, but I seem to have a different
approach to them. I just want to tell you
why I like these engines.

As my previous post show, I am using
a 1953 "B" to pull a 4.2 oz Musciano
F-51 Mustang. I'm trying for good Stunt
performance. I am running 35% nitro
(no nitro restrictions here) and 25% castor.

On most stunt engines, it is normal to
sacrifice pure power for steady runs by
lowering the compression. The Cub naturally
has low compression and gentle port timing.
By matching the size and weight of the
airframe to the engine, the Cub is a
decent stunt performer. It is consistant
and that is important for stunt.
(As we all know.)

As a stunt engine, the Cubs have some
advantages over the Cox's, mostly because
of the tank.

A Cox tank places the engine weight
further forward than is optimum for a
Musciano design. Shortening the log by
1/2" is stretching the rules and who
likes to add tail weight? 
Also, being stuck with only two choices
of Cox tank sizes really limits your options.
   Using a balloon tank for the Cub,
lets me place the weight of the fuel directly
over the CG, and as it burns, the CG/balance
doesn't change.

I've watched You-tube movies of Cox
engine/Musciano flights, so I know that
it is possible to get excellent flights from
Cox engines, but I find reed valve engines
less predictable and when they do run
badly, they are much more difficult to fix
than venturi engines.
   Don't get me wrong, I love Cox engines
and I have eleven of them but I think
the Cub is a more manageable engine when
maximum power isn't the only objective.  :)

Cheers!
Keith Morgan

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »
I have found enough burrs in Cub engines, that I automatically disassemble them and clean everything up.  Then, plan to use 25% or more nitro and a hot-range, short plug.

Being some kind of nut, I also improve the crankshaft balance, smooth the internal bore of the shaft with a Dremel stone, and fill the bore ahead of the port with JB weld.  I chamfer the entry to the bypasses to smooth the flow going in.  I do nothing to "improve" the timing on any of the ports.  I have found that the crankshaft to case fit is occasionally tight and lap it in with 600 grit grinding paste, then polish the shaft with 800 grit paper with oil.

There should be a full description of my modifications on this forum or Stuka Stunt if you do searches.

Note that I HAVE had a bit of experience doing these things and have a wrecked engine or two in my past.  Unless you are comfortable or have a lot of engines to perfect your technique, keep the fixes simple.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 04:42:20 PM »
I want to thank everyone for the suggestions and if I can get some time this weekend I am going try a few out

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 01:02:05 PM »
I wouldn't mess with drilling out the venturi, etc.

Just work on the fuel.  More nitro, less oil.  Ritch's "boat fuel",  20% nitro, 18% blend oil is good for starters.  This is NOT a Fox 35 Stunt.  Don't drown it in oil.

If you have tach, check the RPM.  On a Black Widow, I'm happy with 18,000 RPM, and won't bother trying to fly anything under 15,000.  That's on a Cox black plastic 5/3.
Paul Smith

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 08:04:56 PM »
The normal curve distribution for OK Cub engines is very broad, given the more casual quality control practices vs, say, Cox. The guys from Philly that used to come to the VA Musciano Meet indeed had very good Cubs, but they had to choose from a big sample to come up with one or two that ran well. Also, they did some "fitting', moving the shaft from Cub engine #1 to Cub #6, and fitting the piston from #2 to the cylinder of #11. That sort of thing.

Goozgog, I am also scratch building the F-51 for this year. This is the 23" early version; they later cut it back to 21" to save a penny or so. This is the second one I have built. The first had a Wen Mac on it, because the rules in those days gave you bonus points for the "iffy" engines such as WM. Only flew it a couple of times, so it never had a chance with one of those (kind of underpowered) engines. This time, it will have a Black Widow, and I don't worry too much about the CG being a bit more forward vs the WM, which had a Perfect stunt tank within the fuselage.

As luck would have it, I stumbled on an actual kit F-51 with the 23" span at a local swap meet. Of course, it had a flat foil bottom, where my scratch ones have some semblance of symmetricality.  I use the overall shape of the kit model to help me build the scratch one.

Currell

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 05:10:27 AM »
Hello Currel,
                 My F-51 is also a 23" version copied
from a kit built plane I've had since I was 13.
I think you'll be very happy with this design.
  There isn't anything in the rules about how you
sand the wing, just that it has the correct
platform and thickness. Mine is symmetrical, but
I doubt if the airfoil is doing very much.

The one thing I did, that was stretching the rules,
was to mount the bellcrank on top of the wing and
to make the mounting "button" as thick (tall) as
possible. The idea is to get it up near the vertical CG.
This isn't as radical as Paul Smith's technique, but
it helps.

The most important thing you can do is keep it
light.

Cheers!
Keith Morgan

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 08:27:50 AM »
Hi Goozgog: A couple of comments on your last post...

The Musciano Rules are silent on the subject of vertical leadout readjustment, and you certainly are not "stretching the rules" by lining up your leads with the vertical CG, or changing them from what is shown on the plans. I've done maybe 10 Muscianos (Va and Mi), and no one worries about this. What is important: outlines, shapes, solid wing, solid fuselage (although you can build in laminates here). You can adjust leadouts as specifically stated in the rules (here, the meaning is adjustable in the plan view), but you cannot bury them in the wing, by the way.

Rules also are reasonable re LG and cowls. You don't necessarily have to fly with them, even though you may have them for Concours, which of course makes sense from a judging standpoint.

As far as airfoils are concerned, the rules do in fact specifically allow an airfoil design at the builders discretion. As far as thickness is concerned, you cannot increase the size. However, if you are building a 50s Scientific with the typical 3/16"+ foil, and wanted to slim it to 1/8" for Speed, I doubt if anyone would object. No one, to my knowledge, as done this, and of course there are around 50 or so models eligible with the 1/8" foil anyway, so why bother. This could be a gray area, but, again, I don't know of anyone who would test it. The thicker foils usually were used with the larger (than the typical 18") spans, so they are less suited to Speed, anyway.

Agree that lightness is the key. My first F-51 was light, but powered by the wrong motor, a Wen Mac. This next scratch F-51 (and the first one, too) now will be powered by a Black Widow.

It was kind of interesting that the Bel Air, with a hollowed, clamshell wing and buried leads, was allowed for a number of years. But, no longer. The Bel Air makes a nice Unlimited, however, and it would be neat to scale it up 2:1.

Currell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here