News:

• May 22, 2024, 01:05:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel proofing  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Sam Feinstein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Fuel proofing
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »
Hello everyone,

Ive ordered my second control line airplane, a Black Hawk Models Little Bipe. Anyways, my plan is to make it look like either a fighter or barnstormer from the 20's or 30's. I have the paints I'd like to use, but they are not fuel proof. Is there anything I can spray or brush over my finished paint job to protect it?

Thanks,

Sam

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Fuel proofing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »
That depends on what paint you are using.  Clear gloss Rust Olium is a fuel proof enamel but you will want it to dry 3 or 4 days in a warm place.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:05:41 PM »
I thought I'd heard that the Rustoleum clear wasn't fuel proof -- I'm going to have to get me some!

Sam: do a test swatch before you paint up the whole model -- it'd be a shame to find out that your fuel proof coat isn't compatible with what you're trying to protect!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis_Langworthy

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:49:02 PM »
Minwax makes some clear poly that is fuel proof.  It's available at Lowes and Home Depot.  I haven't found anything that it isn't compatable with yet, but I always do a test sample on a piece of card board.  Don't want to have to strip down a plane and start over.

Offline Sam Feinstein

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:49:24 AM »
I have several cans Miniwax polyurethane, in spray and brush form. Would that work?

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:43:35 AM »
Neither clear Rust-O-leum or Minwax Spray Spar Varnish are fuelproof.  Oddly, waterbased Urethane IS fuelproof.  Go figure.  I like Lustercote clear, myself.  If you buy something, make up a test panel before committing youself.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 10:16:46 AM »
Sam, this is how i have finished the balsa on the last 5 planes i have built, first coat sanding sealer, second spray Rustoleum paint, third a couple of light coats of Minwax spray polyurethane. These planes are flown with 10 to 15 % nitro. No problems yet.  I have 3 1/2a's done in this manner running 25% nitro and no problems. Be sure to let the sanding sealer and the paint dry for a couple of days before using the poly and spray the poly coats within 10 minutes of each other. I would wipe down the 1/2a's right after flying to help protect the finish. The plane in the pic has about 30 flights now and no signs of paint problems.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
I don't know how some things just don't die...Rustoleum is reasonably fuelproof, EXCEPT THE CLEAR (also "specialty" colors: metallics, candies, etc.).

On the other hand, Larry, I use the Spar Varnish as an overcoat and have never had any problems with it.  and, yes, the water-based urethane is in fact fuelproof too. 

Someone told me common house paint is fuelproof...anyone know for sure? Oil-based, or latex? 

On a side note:  How's that SkyWriter flying for you, Ray?
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »
Funny you should mention that Ray.  I had a couple of combat planes from an estate that were painted with house paint.  He said it took fewer coats of paint and the planes didn't last that long in combat.  These planes were used extensively here in KANSAS and surrounding areas.  They still looked good when I carried them out of the basement of his house.  There were some stored in a detached garage also.  The stuff doesn't sand all that well. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 08:35:44 PM »
Andy Borgogna swears that latex housepaint is totally fuelproof.  I have not tested it.  And I don't know to what level of Nitro.  Wipe some raw fuel on your walls and find out?   VD~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 09:59:32 PM »
Andy Borgogna swears that latex housepaint is totally fuelproof.  I have not tested it.  And I don't know to what level of Nitro.  Wipe some raw fuel on your walls and find out?   VD~

Wifey might have something to say about that...you try first.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 01:27:59 AM »

No need, I can confirm that at least some of it is indeed fuelproof. I painted my first Shark 15 with Perky Blue exterior house paint. Bulletproof.

Brett

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 07:05:54 PM »
    No need, I can confirm that at least some of it is indeed fuelproof. I painted my first Shark 15 with Perky Blue exterior house paint. Bulletproof.

Brett

Brush or roller?   ;D

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Sam Feinstein

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 08:35:09 PM »
I've ended up using some miniwax polyurathane for fuel-proofing on my Little Bipe. Once my paint-job was done (I painted it like a 1930's pursuit bipe)  I brushed on a relativly heavy coat of polyurathane, especially on the firewall. and so far it has stood up nicely to 25% nitro fuel spitting out of that brand new babe-bee (running rich  for break-in).  ;D

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »
HI Sam,

Good News!

Now, POST SOME PICTURES OF THOSE MODELS!  LL~ LL~ LL~  We want to see them. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
How heavy (weight) are these hardware store coatings? Will they fuel proof decals and computer generated graphics?
Are they compatible with nitrate and butyrate dopes?

I've got a considerable size stash of old (60s-70s) Aerogloss dope in various colors. Some in 8oz cans, some in 3.5 oz. jars. Most of it looks OK and mixable. Some is a little thick and needs some thinner. Which of the common paint store solvents (acetone, MEK, laquer thinner, etc.) should I use for thinning old Aerogloss?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here