News:

• May 09, 2024, 07:07:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fuel for old cox  (Read 1040 times)

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
fuel for old cox
« on: August 10, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
Does anyone have a source for 1/2a fuel. My local hobby shop only has r/c stuff. I'm in central NJ. Online source would work to .Thanks
AMA 874027

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: fuel for old cox
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 03:19:42 PM »
I believe the old Cox Blue Can fuel was 15% nitro and 25% Castor. You would probably save money by modifying one of the readily commercial brews, as opposed to getting it on-line. HazMat fees will eat you alive!

You don't mention what commercial brands are available, but if Powermaster or RedMax is available, you're home free. Just ask the LHS Owner to order you a gallon of the correct blend the next time they re-order for their own supplies. You may be asked to pre-pay, but you're only looking at $20 or so.

If you have to modify one of their blends, get something with 20% Nitro and as much oil (preferably Castor) as possible. Then add SIG Castor oil to bring up the oil content to at least 20% - 22%. Good luck.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Online Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 03:56:25 PM »
Ralph's advice is right on.  Sig markets a blend that is 25% Nitro and around that much castor.  It would be about perfect.  Since deciding that my cox engines would be workers instead of just collectors items I've been using 15% Powermaster with 18% oil straight out of the can. (castor/synthetic blend)  My engines tend to encounter enough dirt, dust, grit, and grass clippings that i figure that will get them before marginal fuel.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 12:41:11 PM »
I like the Powermaster 15/18 fuel with 8 ounces of castor oil added per gallon for most of my 1/2As.  For Tee Dee engines (all sizes) 25% Nitro is good.  SIG fuels are excellent.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 02:39:57 PM »
I found some Norvel 35% Nitro at a LHS when I bought my Norvels.  Makes my buddies Golden Bee really scream, but still cant hold with the newer engines.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 03:06:43 PM »
I found some Norvel 35% Nitro at a LHS when I bought my Norvels.  Makes my buddies Golden Bee really scream, but still cant hold with the newer engines.

On 35% Nitro, if he doesn't re-set the piston/rod ball socket joint after every single flying session, that poor little Golden Bee is not long for this world! And it's still probably turning under 20K rpm . . .

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 06:16:35 AM »
If that is a true Golden Bee, it only has one bypass port and could be improved by switching in a "Production" piston / cylinder set with two bypass ports.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 08:14:02 AM »
Here I am still running my half A's on the same fuel I run in my big stunt engines.  Just done lean them out so much.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here