News:

• May 10, 2024, 05:20:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Consumption??  (Read 714 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Fuel Consumption??
« on: May 25, 2012, 01:09:52 PM »
OK, Guys!  I have had no luck searching so I would like to get a guideline in one place.

What is the general amount of fuel needed for each engine listed to "fly the pattern"?

Killer Bee  .049

Black Widow .049

Medallion .049

Tee Dee .049

Norvel .049

Norvel Big Mig .061

Wasp .061

Now these questions may need some additional info in the answers so fire away!
Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Fuel Consumption??
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 02:20:16 PM »
         Hello Bill, as much as I'd like to answer those questions I probably would be making a big miscalculation. Larry Renger would certainly be able to answer some of those engines and quantity answers seeing that he attends 1/2A  contests consistently. I do know in my situation, I used a Dubro 2 oz. on a Brodak Pathfinder  for a Big Mig  .061 and had waaaaay too much fuel. I just wouldn't fill the tank completely and I never accurately checked to see what I had. You have such a wide variety of engines there. I can say the Killer Bee and the Black Widow are more than likely seeing the same mileage. The Tee Dee can be a guzzler. The Norvel engines are very conservative on fuel and mileage can be greatly increased due to them running well on low nitro. Currently, I have a Black Widow on a Brodak Lightning Streak. I put it on a Sure Start backplate which has been modified with a 11/64 opening in the venturi. I use 35% nitro and I have Perfect wedge which is about 1 5/8" long. I'm not sure of the quantity as I just have way too many planes to remember. This plane just starts to hiccup in the hourglass. Asking my son, he feels the same as we almost made it into the overhead. I'm sure we could've made it into the overheads but we were fiddling with the needle on the ground. For all out reliability, I would honestly go with a Norvel. My experience with the AP was based for combat usage and the engine failed my expectations and now is a paper weight. It burnt out more glow plugs than any engine I've ever owned. I'm interested in this thread as well due to my son and I wanting to fly the pattern using a 1/2 A plane. I certainly think it's quite a accomplishment and certainly is something that requires a bit more patience and agility over a larger model. Ken

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 03:06:58 PM »
A TD 049 takes between 1.25 and 1.5 oz to make it through the stunt pattern, in my experience.  Varies with nitro, needle setting, prop, etc. etc.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »
On 10% nitro, the AP Wasp needs 25cc to make the pattern on 45' lines and a 5.5x2.5 APC prop. I would expect the same performance from the Norvels.

Jim is on the money with the Tee Dee Figure.  I would guess that the Medallion would only need 1 ounce. 

BTW 1 ounce is 1.804 cubic inches and just under 30cc.

I never checked the Killer Bee for fuel consumption. I would guess you need at least 3/4 ounce.

The Black Widow, with 15% Nitro and the black 5x3 prop runs about 2-1/2 minutes.  I would say the Golden Bee goes 3-1/2.  I could just make the full pattern with a Golden Bee with Kavan tank extension.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here