News:

• May 01, 2024, 05:15:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fox.049 engine mounting  (Read 1081 times)

Offline ken cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
fox.049 engine mounting
« on: April 08, 2007, 07:15:32 AM »
      I've had this Fox .049 for some years now. The one problem I've had is trying to find a mount for it. I'm aware I could build the fuse like a typical profile and mount it sideways. I would like to beam mount this engine. The mounting lugs are very close to the crankcase sides. It seams that there is just enough room for a 2-56 bolt to fit. I have a Dave Brown mount and a Norvel mount in which neither allows enough room to fit. The Norvel seems to fit the closest with a slight chamfer on the inside it should drop right in. Did this engine come with a mount?                Ken Cook

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: fox.049 engine mounting
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »
I wish you had included a picture of your engine. The Fox .049 FAI engine I had also had a metal thank with a radial mount.
         Motor mounts are very easy to make from (K&S) .030 Alum. A two piece is just a triangle with two sides bent in and drilled. A single piece mount is a little more difficult but doable.  n~
Larry

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:17:57 AM »
Doug Galbreath advertises a radial mount for the FAI .049 H^^

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 02:17:16 PM »
The simplest method would be to use "J" bolts from the rear lugs through the firewall.

Here's a pic. The two lower engines are the Fox .049 FAI with and without tank. The upper engine is the Fox .07.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline ken cook

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 06:28:27 AM »
           George, thanks for posting the pics. I notice that most of these engines are identical. One thing I noticed on the upper engine depicted is the smaller triangular gusset casted under the crank. The lower right has a longer triangulated gusset. I also noticed the polished area on the case just below where the cylinder screws in. I thought this was something done to my engine prior to my ownership. I have the engine in your upper photo for sure. Ken Cook

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 09:51:23 AM »
Ken,

In that case you have a Fox .07. I bought the engine new when they came out in the mid/late nineteen fifties so no modifications have been made.

The .049's shown are the FAI version. I do not have the standard .049, perhaps it looked more like the .07. My GUESS is that they may have used the same crankcase on the standard .049 and the .07. That way they could just burnish off the .049. Perhaps someone has pics of the standard .049.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 11:03:53 AM »
The regular, non  FAI Fox 049 came with a standard tank mount. They are not hard to find. Currell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here