News:

• May 04, 2024, 10:02:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 0.49 glowhead adapter  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox 0.49 glowhead adapter
« on: September 13, 2011, 03:15:01 AM »
I know that the Fox glowheads are readily obtainable and reasonably priced. While I was researching that information, I came across an adapter for the Fox, that took Cox or any similar threaded alternatives. For some reason I cannot find a reference to it now that I decided to buy one! Anyone know who was selling them? At least I remember they were brass!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
Re: Fox 0.49 glowhead adapter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 01:20:16 PM »
Thank you Tim,
You wouldn't believe how much time I have spent trying to find that site! Many thanks again.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:08:27 PM »
Hey, could you guys post a pointer to the Fox 049 guy (sells motors and glow heads)?

Thanks
Chris

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 11:44:46 AM »
I heard that the Fox plug works decent. My friend use to use his FAI .049 and liked it. Said plugs held up fine. I don't know what they go for now but ones I bought were half of what they wanted for Cox Hi-Comp. plugs.      f~  mw~

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 02:05:57 PM »
Hi Chris,
Just saw your post. The Fox 0.49 glowheads can be had from Doug Martin. They are very reasonable in price, $4 to $5 from what I can recall. Doug's email address is dougsengines@hotmail.com. He also supplies the engines, in I think single and dual bypass format. The dual (?) port is pretty high performance and needs some skill to run well. It is intended for FAI competition in some form or other. The less potent version is probably the best one to have for general flying.
  Doug does produce both versions with or without fuel tank. I THINK that the ones without fuel tank are around $69 again if my memory is correct. As Tim Wescott kindly reminded me, "Mattes engine reworks" provide a brass adapter ring for the Fox 0.49 and this takes any of the Cox style heads, for example the Merlin adapters and plug also the Galbreath head and Nelson plugs, as well as Cox heads. Although at the price that Doug charges for the Fox heads, the economics are even and depends on performance in the field! Sorry but I have not done the tests!
  If you do not want a tank, but require a radial mount, then I THINK that Larry Driskill at "Kitting it Together" can supply a radial mount. If I have got this wrong, then I am sure that someone will correct me! Suffice to say a radial mount is available somewhere!

Best Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 06:56:10 AM »
Thanks Dan and Andrew, I picked up one of the regular Fox 049's a couple of weeks ago.
It's one of those that have the Comet shooting star milled off (but can see a tiny bit of the star).
I think it's glow head is good so I'll give it a run and see if it is worth more fiddling.
The FAI version sounds like fun, too.

-Chris

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 04:57:25 AM »
Hi Chris,
  i got my "ordinary" Fox 0.49 from Dan, I had it running and was well pleased. It isn't up to Wasp 0.61 performance. But it ran better than my Black Widows. I didn't have much time playing with it as I got ill and spent some time in hospital. I intend to build something for it after I have fully recovered. I have never seen one before and it has a certain rarity value!!
  I strongly suspect that the ones that Doug produces (and his predecessor) are rather better than the ones Fox produced back in the day. Not wishing to knock Fox, I am surprised they ever went into the 0.49 market. When you get this small a capacity, you need really good fits to produce a consistent product. Hope you enjoy yours, if it doesn't go as well as expected then it is probably an original.

Best of luck,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here