News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:55:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finished Twin Build (Flown)  (Read 3404 times)

Offline John Crocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Finished Twin Build (Flown)
« on: September 16, 2007, 07:01:19 AM »
Finished this up last night after taking my boys to the PBR rodeo in Greensboro.  Lots of good rides, no serious injuries although we did see one guy get a nasty cut on his head and another get knocked out.  Kinda scary seeing a guy lay there not moving while 2000 lbs of beef is spinning over him.

Anyway, here it is, "THE CONFEDERATE".  44" span, 28" long.  061 Wasps should be in the LHS this week for the coup de gras.  Still dont know the weight, gotta find a scale.

Final note, I know the Confederate battle flag is not considered by many to be politically correct and many people consider it to be a sign of racism.  I AM NOT a racist.  I respect my southern heritage and the role the flag played in the War of Northern Aggression.  Plus it just looks cool on that orange wing.   ;D

God Bless the USA.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 02:38:14 PM by John Crocker »

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
Re: Finished Twin Build (pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 12:10:59 PM »
MM,

You had asked the weight.  In this configuration with everything but the engines and fuel it is 14.6 oz.  The 2 engines will add 1.9 oz each bringing the dry flying weight to 18.2 oz.  I'd think it'd fly pretty dang fast at that weight, but don't know for certain.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 03:57:11 PM »
2 .061s and all that wing ought to handle 18 oz. easily.  Nice plane. Looking forward to flight reports.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:03:21 PM »
There were only 11 states in the Confederacy. 

How come there's 13 stars?
Paul Smith

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 03:54:51 PM »
Ain't hard to google it...11 official Confederate states, plus Kentucky and Missouri (hopeful--wishful?--thinking).

Later, same 13 stars represented 15 states in the Confederacy.  You could look it up.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 09:12:27 PM »
Why does everyone use a misshaped battle flag (original was square) and never the national flag of the Confederacy? This flag has less to do with history than it does with racism.
Larry

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 03:37:15 AM »
This exact flag, rectangular in shape, is pictured of a flag website with the following description:

Confederate Navy Jack: Used as a navy jack at sea from 1863 onward. This flag has become the generally recognized symbol of the South.

Note: It is necessary to disclaim any connection of these flags to neo-nazis, red-necks, skin-heads and the like. These groups have adopted this flag and desecrated it by their acts. They have no right to use this flag - it is a flag of honor, designed by the confederacy as a banner representing state's rights and still revered by the South. In fact, under attack, it still flies over the South Carolina capitol building. The South denies any relation to these hate groups and denies them the right to use the flags of the confederacy for any purpose. The crimes committed by these groups under the stolen banner of the conderacy only exacerbate the lies which link the seccesion to slavery interests when, from a Southerner's view, the cause was state's rights.

Note contributed by BJ Meksikatsi.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 07:38:20 AM »
Note: It is necessary to disclaim any connection of these flags to neo-nazis, red-necks, skin-heads and the like. These groups have adopted this flag and desecrated it by their acts. They have no right to use this flag - it is a flag of honor, designed by the confederacy as a banner representing state's rights and still revered by the South. In fact, under attack, it still flies over the South Carolina capitol building. The South denies any relation to these hate groups and denies them the right to use the flags of the confederacy for any purpose. The crimes committed by these groups under the stolen banner of the conderacy only exacerbate the lies which link the seccesion to slavery interests when, from a Southerner's view, the cause was state's rights.

Note contributed by BJ Meksikatsi.

Thanks MM, I get tired of fighting that battle.  Main reason I put it on there was the planes colors.  Always loved the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazard.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 05:59:02 PM »
The question still stands: If it is a matter of historical pride why isn't the national flag of the CSA used?
Second question: If I accept you statement that the rectangle stars and bars flew over one or more ships of the Confederacy why pick such an obscure flag to display? Why not, if you are going to use the "Battle" flag why not the square one that was well used and carried into almost every battle?
Larry

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 06:20:56 PM »
I believe John answered that...he borrowed it from the General Lee.  Best ask Bo Duke why HE chose that flag. 

Why does it matter?

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 07:10:08 PM »
Larry, enough already!

John has already given you a sufficient answer, twice even.

My answer would probably been something like it's my model and I'll put what I want on it.

Rather than get any more political or re fight the war between the states why can't we just drop it and move on?   #^

I was going to suggest he name it the halloween special but didn't because I didn't want to @#$% him off before a flight test report.  LL~

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 08:43:52 PM »
Hey, I could put some evil eyes on it and call it Sam Hain.  Then I'd be a devil worshiper instead of an ignorant redneck from Guilford County  n~.

But in all seriousness, Larry is right about the flag, most were square.  Matter of fact, we have one from the civil war that my Great Great Grandfather , Gustavus Walker carried.  He was from Knoxville, TN.  Have been asked numerous times to donate it, but its heritage man, can't give it up.

Also, you can't find square stickers very easily, so I went with what was available.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 09:15:27 PM »
Tom,
          I am sorry if my simple inquire upset any one. I did not place any judgement upon any statement that I have made, I just do not understand and I guess that there is no answer to why the national flags are ignored. I do not feel that they would improve the feelings of those offended by the Stars and Bars but frankly it does not make since to me. Oh well, I'm old, I'll be gone soon ....so I don't care.
          I will drop the subject at this point and just mention that I did not bring it up in the first place.
Larry  Z@@ZZZ

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 11:01:39 AM »
Hi Larry,

The Battle Flag is much more "colorful" and easier to reproduce.  It's a shame the radical groups have linked it with Nazi Germany Swastikas, etc., but it isn't a Racial statement for most of us illiterate rednecks.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 01:14:22 PM »
John,

It's your plane, decorate it any way you like.

If anyone is offended by the stars and bars, let them look at something else. Nobody is REQUIRED to look at it.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 08:53:46 PM »
  With the bickering about political correctness I just want to throw up.  Why do modelers put Swatstikas on models of WWII German aircraft?  Are they racists for doing so?  GEE!  Lets throw all the history books in the garbage so the future generations can repeat the past.  If I wanted to put certain symbols on my models it is because I want to and couldn't care less what others thought. To all you political correct bozos go hide under Hillary's skirt. After all she wants to coddle you for life and make all decisions for you.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 06:32:12 AM »
Little bit of an overreaction, Mike...this was never that serious a discussion.  I'm not even sure PC had anything to do with it. However, you do make a point.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 08:47:26 AM »
Enough, already!  How does the plane fly????
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 02:23:44 PM »
Well, hopefully I 'll find out tomorrow.  Engines came in yesterday, mounted last night and have been breaking them in today.  2 powerplants are LOUD!!! %^@.  Still working out the amount of fuel, right now I've got about a 10-20 sec longer run on the inboard side, putting an extra 1/4 tsp of fuel in it.  Had to take the cowls off, the engines would not fit in them proper, oh well, will run better without them anyway, more airflow.

Def no lack of power, looking forward to the maiden flight.

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
Re: Finished Twin Build (Flown)
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »
Well, I maidened the twin.  No real engine issues, did have to blow out the needle on the inboard side, had some trash in it.  Plane has PLENTY of power.  Got in 5 or 6 flights.  Plane will fly with one engine, flew over half the first flight with one.  Rest of flights lost the inboard 3-5 laps before the outboard.  Plane has a BEAUTIFUL take off, requiring about 10-20 ft to get in the air (or maybe I just let it roll that long) and will climb nice and slow with little elevator input.  Loops are great!  With this much power, low level flight to a standing climb into a loop is no issue, no dive is required for speed.  And 2 .061's really sound cool together. 

Confirmed that NEither the plane, nor I like to fly upside down.  It must have a funny warp, cause going from regular to inverted flight it wants to roll towards you.  I crashed it going through fig 8 and tore the inboard wing covering at the lead outs.  .008 wire broke, really was not enough for the plane anyway.  Structurally the plane is fine, just needs a wing patch and a little glue on the first inboard rib and lead out.

That leads me to Spider Wire.  You guys recon the braided line (maybe 18 lb test) would be strong enough for this type of a plane?   From what I remember, it does not stretch just like steel.  Lemme know, got to get out the iron and glue so I can fly later this week.

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 03:58:47 PM »
John,

If you dont see any obvious warp, perhaps some more wingtip weight will help.  You may also need to adjust your leadout location.

Ray Stone should be able to tell you what size/weight Spiderwire to use.   #^
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 05:05:58 AM »
.008" line is undersize for a plane with .122 of power.   You need to get legal and fly on .012" lines.

We fought the Cold War against the Russians all my life, until it ended in 1991.  Yesterday I was out flying with several of them, including my new racing pilot.

The Civil War was over in 1865, forgive & forget, it's history.   
There are people STILL alive who suffered in WWII, we dont's seem to worry about offending them with enemy markings.
Paul Smith

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 09:02:03 AM »
John,

If you dont see any obvious warp, perhaps some more wingtip weight will help.  You may also need to adjust your leadout location.

Ray Stone should be able to tell you what size/weight Spiderwire to use.   #^

I wouldn't use Spiderwire at all on an airplane of that size and power.  My experience with the stuff ends at the .061 level.  No doubt there are heavier weight Spiderwire lines that would hold it but I can't speak from experience.  I'd go with the .012 steel lines if it were mine.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here