News:

• May 06, 2024, 03:08:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finally! A flying day...  (Read 1442 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Finally! A flying day...
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:31:10 PM »
Well, ya think winter's really truly finally over?  Managed to get out today with a few planes, first time since last fall.  A little breezy but not bad.

I got to try out my "Infant All-American", flew pretty well, no surprises.  24" span, Cox production .049 powered, 27' lines.  Not sure it could handle 35's very well. A little twitchy (short-coupled) and a little sluggish (nose-heavy).  Loops kinda big but OK. Big figure eights, no square corners anywhere.  I may try a little lead in the tail, maybe not, this may be as good as it gets.  Looks really cute in the air anyhow.  No take-off problems as commonly reported with the fullsize AA.  Glides, lands fine.  That short outboard wing does cause the occasional buck when the wind catches it just right (or wrong).

Then, Tried out my little miniature SkyWriter with an .010 on it.  21" span, I designed it with the .020 in mind; but that Teedee .010 puts out nearly as much power.  Sounds like a demented mosquito.  20' lines, probably could have used the 27' but didn't try.  I believe a competent pilot could put this little thing thru the whole pattern no problem.  Sure flies sweet. 

Finally, got several flights on my Norvel .049-powered SkyWriter, 30" span, 35' lines, could have used 42' but didn't have them with me.  It didn't disappoint me, this is a really nice handling plane... I love flying it.

Pics to ID these models below.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Finally! A flying day...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:39:55 PM »
Those are beautiful and glad to hear you had a good day to fly.

Thank you for sharing with us!

Robert 
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 04:41:30 PM »
Hey Ray!!  Glad you're out flying!!  That Skywriter is one sweet flyin plane!!  Everytime i bring either of mine out in public people want to know where it got this kit from!! The Norvel on #1 of mine is very fast even on 42 foot lines with the cox 5x3 prop, will put an apc 6x2 on next time , Skywiter #2 just loves to be tested to the limits with a Norvel and 6x2 prop. Hope the weather holds out for ya,,  take care.. Your friend Ray in Carolina   H^^
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 05:37:45 PM »
Hey Ray,

Glad to hear they're flying well for you.  The 2" pitch seems to be plenty for the Norvels on a plane as light as the SkyWriter.  I have a set of 48' lines I use with my .061s, I may try them with the .049  next time. 
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:11:50 PM »
I would like to see a closer look at the fuel tank you have on the .010 powered Skywriter.
I think I am having an idea...

Robert

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:51:07 PM »
Here ya go, this is what I used with the .020 Peewee: A finger from a latex glove.  Same setup with the .010 except I.m using some "waterballoon" balloons, very tiny, just right for a 1/8A tank.

the plastic container is a florist's flower tube, cut down in length. Used for boutonieres (sp?--lapel flowers.)
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »
Thank you Ray for that. Very cool!

I love using 'found' objects and materials for use in our hobby.
I was trying to remember of a lightweight plastic tube I saw somewhere to use for this. Seems like it was some kind of squeezeable Kool Aid drink container that is often used but haven't seen one lately. It has a king of wing nut type twist off top and then you just dank from it. Reminded me somewhat like a test tube.

Robert

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 07:17:39 PM »
koolaid juicers.  you can get the at any grocery store or wal mart, but there a little big around for a tank.  Film canisters or one of those M&M plastic tubes work better

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »
koolaid juicers.  you can get the at any grocery store or wal mart, but there a little big around for a tank.  Film canisters or one of those M&M plastic tubes work better

Could be I am thinking of a cheaper brand. The ones I remember looked much like a cigar tube, rounded on the bottom and had a narrowed wasp waist feature in the middle. Memory does not always serve me as well as I wish sometimes but they seemed to be possibly a little larger than a cigar tube (dia) but smaller than the traditional 35mm film canister, longer of course.

As for the M&M tubes I have not payed much attention. I should!

Robert 

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »
How about a syringe. They come in all sizes.  I havn't priced any because I seem to have a collection of them. I have seen them at our local feed and seed store. I guess farmers use them for live stock care.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 10:51:28 PM »
Check your local flower shop.

They have neat little plastic bottles (look like small test tubes) to slip over the stems of flowers to keep them watered during shipping. They tell me they come in several sizes, and have a slip on rubber cap, with a small hole in the center for the stem. I don't know if they are fuel proof, but they sure look neater than film canisters.  ;D

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 06:52:49 AM »
Bill, see #5 above.  Yes, they are fuel proof.  Not crashproof though, they do break!
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 12:09:10 PM »
Ray,

Sorry, I just glanced at your msg #5 earlier, and thought that was a balloon tank in a clear film canister.

In any case, it's good to know the flower shop tubes are fuel proof.  ;D

Bill

Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here