News:

• May 06, 2024, 03:14:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FEEDBACK WANTED  (Read 1370 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
FEEDBACK WANTED
« on: June 17, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »
     With almost 100 free Pee Wee Pup's given away through Sam's Stuff and Hobbies I would like some feedback. What do you think about the kit? Did you like the adjustable push rod?
Thank You
Larry

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: FEEDBACK WANTED
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:27:47 PM »
Larry, my feedback thus far is , , what a super idea to help pass this legacy on to a younger generation at yours and your helpers expense! I plan to build this kit together with my Grandson Dylan (6 years old) in the near future. This may not have happened without your generosity. What a wonderful gesture!!  I hope everyone appreciates your hard work and dedication to our sport as much as we do!!  Thank you ,  Ray Copeland H^^
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline 2easy

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:03:46 PM »
Very nice and simple beginners kit. The adjustable control rod is a very clever idea. I'm going to surprise a neighbors boy with this kit and an engine next week.

Joe

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 09:26:27 PM »
Thanks, that makes me feel real good about what we are doing. I hope that you will send pictures too.
Larry

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:10:24 AM »
May we see a picture of this adjustable control rod?
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 11:53:30 PM »
      I was going to put one (adjustable push rod) together and photograph it for you today but we worked overtime on Stunt Rockets. I will see about it tomorrow. I put them into a few of our kits, mostly trainers and whip powered control liners.
Larry

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 03:10:54 PM »
I am sorry that this took so long but one of the employees took off and everyone is a little backed up now.
     In the first picture you can see all of the parts; 2- push rods with 'Z' bends and the adjuster. The adjuster is made of rubber with grooves down the sides for a better grip and a hole through the center that is the size of a single push rod (.047). We assemble the rods for inclusion in the kits.
     In the second photo you can see a finished push rod, note that the 2 push rods pass each other in the adjuster. Once installed you simply hold or turn the adjuster while pushing or pulling the push rod (each rod comes with instructions). The two 'Z' bends eliminates the need to bend the wire at all. I found that for the tyro trying to get the bends in the push rod just right was near impossible and re-bending only made it worse. We put these rods in the Whip Powered Control Line Planes and in the EZ Trainer, Little Ike and the Pee Wee Pup only.
Larry

Offline Frank Sheridan

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 07:55:25 PM »
Well the Pee Wee Pup looks like simple to build first plane for just about anybody. That pushrod idea really gets rid of a stumbling block encountered by most of us when we first started building. Most kids don't have a pair of pliers or the skills necessary to make a good z-bend by hand. After I got the Pup I went to your website to look at some of the other Black Hawk models and I found the first balsa model I ever built for 1/2A - the "Little Bipe". I built one of these and included it in a science fair project that I made explaning the shape and lift of an airfoil, and how this made airplanes fly. I won a ribbon that year. I guess I'll have to buy another Little Bipe for old times sake.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 09:33:26 PM »
Thanks Larry, that's very clever.  I suppose a piece of properly-sized fuel line would work as well?  I'll have to try that myself.

On a related topic, do you know if those "z"-bend pliers work well?  Will they bend up to .062 piano wire?
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 10:25:05 PM »
Way to go Larry! Thats a keen idea on the pushrod treatment. I'm guessing one could use heat shrink tubing on top of that too, once it is adjusted, just to be safe?
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Way to go Larry! Thats a keen idea on the pushrod treatment. I'm guessing one could use heat shrink tubing on top of that too, once it is adjusted, just to be safe?

Nah, then it wouldn't be adjustable anymore!
Seriously, for a rank beginner I think it needs to stay adustable. As for securing it later and for a more seasoned pilot, I would suggest thin CA before I would heat shrink tubing. Besides, its less letters to type!

Larry, I don't know who thought this idea up to its present form but it is, in my opinion, brilliant.  You may want to copyright this one. Years ago I saw some of the micro R/C modelers use these with heat shrink and CF rods and they used CA to set it once adjusted.

By the way, I think I can name that connecting piece. If it is what I think it is, it is very inexpensive and not hard to find at all.

Robert 
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 11:15:22 PM »
     The tubing that we use has exactly a .047 hole in it to make the connection over the two .047 wires very tight so that they will not slip. To assemble the push rod we have to apply the right amount of heat to the adjuster to make it stretch enough to accept the two .047 wires.
     The 'Z' pliers will bend 1/16th inch wire but you need to use a pair of slip joint pliers to get sharp bends. After the initial bend then we clamp the pliers to the end of the wire and across the 'Z' benders to finish the bend.
     Thank you all for the feedback.
Larry

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 11:18:12 PM »
Nah, then it wouldn't be adjustable anymore!
Seriously, for a rank beginner I think it needs to stay adustable. As for securing it later and for a more seasoned pilot, I would suggest thin CA before I would heat shrink tubing. Besides, its less letters to type!

Larry, I don't know who thought this idea up to its present form but it is, in my opinion, brilliant.  You may want to copyright this one. Years ago I saw some of the micro R/C modelers use these with heat shrink and CF rods and they used CA to set it once adjusted.

By the way, I think I can name that connecting piece. If it is what I think it is, it is very inexpensive and not hard to find at all.

Robert 
Looks like a piece of lampcord insulation to me...
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »
    Well, Robert, you are probably right. I tried to keep from posting it because I have several wounds from assembling these things and also I do not know if they all, even those not in the US, have the same dia. hole.
Larry

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 11:29:11 PM »
     Okay, but I do not take any responsibility for anything that happens with any push rod that you make.
     The cord is used to install a new screen into a screen door or window. I looked for months for something that was just right and stumbled on it in my garage. I first tried using two wheel collars, that was a bust. Using heat to assemble them was a major break through.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »
That is what I thought it was. I don't know anything else that looks just like it. 

I really do think it is a good idea for the application. You are to be commended! Awe, where is a smiley icon with a salute!?

I have repaired a couple of screens in my life and knew what it was right away.

In the past, a V bend was sometimes used to adjust the length. I really do think this is a much better way.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 12:34:57 AM »
Robert,
     Thanks for the salute!
     I looked at 'V' bends but they are hard to adjust and weaken after several tries. I had some concerns about heat and oil effects on the rubber cord but after 4 years and no complaints I feel a lot better about these push rods. Adjusting is so simple that is is almost child's play and the ribbed outside is just an added plus.
     I believe that these things, weather they are push rods or new type of wing, should be shared with all. If one of these things helps to bring someone new into the hobby then it is all worth it.
PS
Over 80 Pee Wee Pups have been given away through Sam's, 50 Hawk tethered planes, 16 EZ Trainers to Michigan and 30 Gnat gliders to a school here in California in just under 3 months. Now I am working on 20 new "Jet Plane" tethered kits for a give away on the 4th of July.  n~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here