News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine mount  (Read 1683 times)

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Engine mount
« on: February 06, 2007, 04:03:23 PM »
Just looking for any creative way to mount cox engine. Would like to use one engine on several planes. Any ideas would be helpful Thanks John
AMA 874027

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine mount
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 04:06:53 PM »
There are lots of Cox engines John. Which are you talking about. Give us a description. Tank attached? No tank? Production engine?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 05:51:07 PM »
If a radial mount, I can tell you a couple of ways NOT to do it: 

1)  DON'T put metal posts (nails) through the firewall from the back, then slip the engine over the posts and secure it with rubber bands around the posts and stretched back to a dowel.  Looks like it would work good, shock-absorbing quick-change mount...till you crash.  Then the engine rocks on the posts, as intended, and breaks its lugs off, which was not intended.  Wasn't satisfied with destroying a plastic backplate that way; I had to go and find it would break a metal one as well. 

2)Then I tried putting the nails, not through the firewall, but just through the lugs from the back, so the heads rested on the firewall...now the posts would move with the engine, no strain on the lugs, right?  WRONG.  Took a little longer to break, but still did so from the strain of the rubber bands trying to pull the posts sideways. 

But that ain't what you asked, is it?

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 06:22:58 PM »
A good idea John is just get more engines. I'm not mentioning any names but Dennis Lipsett has about a zillion of them and I think you could probably pry a couple out of his hans.

If you insist on using just the one engine for multiple planes use littlle blind nuts and bolts ( 2/58) I think. Ray or one of the other guys will know for sure.
 ;D
Frank Carlisle

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 06:36:51 PM »
I have several engines.Baby bee ,golden bee, killer bee and one that I think came from a plastic plane has a slide in mount of some sort. It always seems that my daughter wants to use witchever plane doesn"t have an engine on it. Thanks
AMA 874027

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 01:55:43 AM »
2-56 is the bolt/nut size to use.    I have seen those slide mounts and would not try to duplicate one in wood.  One solution might be to make 2 firewalls, one bolted to the engine, the other glued to the plane, with ears on each side that you can line up and rubber band together. 

Say, maybe you can answer the question in another thread about the difference between the Killer Bee and other Coxes.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 02:01:46 PM »
The 2 firewall system described above is exactly what the Carl Goldberg Wizzard 1/2A trainer used. There are ears on the corners of the firewall about 1/4" by 1/4", and you wrapped a couple small rubber bands around the top and bottom pairs to hold the engine on.

You could probablt retrofit a similar system to an existing model by making a firewall with ears and mount the engine to it, then adding some dowel or small screw eyes behind the existing firewal on the model to hook the rubber bands to.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here