News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:55:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: does anyone recognize this engine?  (Read 3141 times)

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
does anyone recognize this engine?
« on: February 15, 2007, 04:30:10 PM »
I just got this. What make is it? What is it worth?
Frank Carlisle

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: does anyone recognize this engine?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 04:57:07 PM »
Frank,
I want to say its either an OK or an Wasp,  Atwood...I think I have one, but just looked and its not on my collection case.Maybe someone can verify this..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 05:35:29 PM by Richard Grogan »
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 05:09:07 PM »
Not a Cub, I don't think.  If that's a 5 3/4-4 prop as it seems to say, it looks mighty big relative to the engine. It may be smaller than .049.  Weren't there some midget engines around .03 or something, 'way back when? So it might be a, what'd they call it, Mighty Mite, or Bantam, or something?  Never mind, I'm worse than no help.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Richard Grogan

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 06:19:38 PM »
It's a Anderson Baby Spitfire .045.  I have one somewhere...

Heres one for sale in a plane...
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MEL-ANDERSON-045-BABY-SPITFIRE-ENGINE-PLANE_W0QQitemZ180085658159QQihZ008QQcategoryZ34055QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think Wen Mac later produced these after Mel Anderson sold out..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 06:44:52 PM by Richard Grogan »
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 07:46:55 AM »
Mel Anderson motors were well made but as was most of the 1/2 motors of the period they were pretty anemic. They were great for Free Flight  sport models though. More commonly seen is the Spitzy which is basically the same motor as you have Frank. It has the tank on the bottom of the casing though. They swing a 6/3 at enough revs to fly a Dakota FF and never lose it. Notice how small the venturi opening is, something similer to the Cubs you purchased for the Scientific/Black Hawk models. Kills the rpm, but they have excellent fuel draw.
Mr Anderson had a series of 1/2A RTF planes in the 50's many of them were made from wood not plastic and you don't see to many of them anymore. EBay sellers do all right when they offer a good one for sale.
Run it, if it's capable, and savor the experience. They don't bring big bucks on the bay though
Dennis

Edit, Wen Mac didn't make the Anderson motor, Mel Anderson went broke in a model fuel venture and closed his business. The Wen Mac was designed by I believe by Bill Atwood, believe it or not the same designer as the TD series of motors and all thiose great Atwood motors including the cadet, Shrike,Wasp, oh yea, none of those were barn burners either but i surely did love to run them. The Wen Mac was manufactured byA-- , memory fails me they made bowling equipment.

AMF american machine and Foundry, Dont get old
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 09:22:25 PM by dennis lipsett »

Offline Richard Grogan

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 04:18:05 PM »
Mel Anderson motors were well made but as was most of the 1/2 motors of the period they were pretty anemic. They were great for Free Flight  sport models though. More commonly seen is the Spitzy which is basically the same motor as you have Frank. It has the tank on the bottom of the casing though. They swing a 6/3 at enough revs to fly a Dakota FF and never lose it. Notice how small the venturi opening is, something similer to the Cubs you purchased for the Scientific/Black Hawk models. Kills the rpm, but they have excellent fuel draw.
Mr Anderson had a series of 1/2A RTF planes in the 50's many of them were made from wood not plastic and you don't see to many of them anymore. EBay sellers do all right when they offer a good one for sale.
Run it, if it's capable, and savor the experience. They don't bring big bucks on the bay though
Dennis

Edit, Wen Mac didn't make the Anderson motor, Mel Anderson went broke in a model fuel venture and closed his business. The Wen Mac was designed by I believe by Bill Atwood, believe it or not the same designer as the TD series of motors and all thiose great Atwood motors including the cadet, Shrike,Wasp, oh yea, none of those were barn burners either but i surely did love to run them. The Wen Mac was manufactured byA-- , memory fails me they made bowling equipment.

This engine was the first small engine design by Mel Anderson. The bypass ports are cut into the cylinder just below the exhaust ports and the transfer channels are formed by a hollow between the steel cylinder and the aluminum spacer ring. The fuel tank is attached to the back with a single screw.
Production started in 1949 and special versions were produced for other companies like American Junior, Wen-Mac and Royal. The complete cylinder assembly, from piston to head was also used in Roy Cox first powered race car, the Cox Special. (Contributed by Martin Hepperle. See his site at http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_smallengines.htm for more on small engines.)

I stand corrected, Mel made them for Wen Mac!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 08:53:06 PM »
You guys are good!! Now I'll have to remember what it is. Anderson Baby Spitfire .045.

Now I wish someone had a fuel tank for it that I could get from them.

I took two more pics which will confirm that this is the engine you guys are talking about.

By the way how do you know all this?
Frank Carlisle

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 09:36:26 PM »
You guys are good!! Now I'll have to remember what it is. Anderson Baby Spitfire .045.

I took two more pics which will confirm that this is the engine you guys are talking about.

Hi franbk,
Well you can go to the site used in one of the posts and read all about it or rely on your memory while it works. Incidentally there are a few errors in the web site, but then again he never did set himself up as an authority on the subject. It's a great site. Oh and the tank is really only useful if your going to use  the motor in a free flight model. Too small and if the gasket got old they leaked.
Dennis
dennis

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I'd like the taank anyway.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Richard Grogan

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 09:58:04 PM »

Frank,
Like I said, I have one of these little ugly guys too! I wont ever use it, but its more stuff! Like the saying goes,"He who dies with the most toys, WIN!"

Seriously, like Dennis said, they aren't worth a bunch of bucks, but it would be really cool to build a plane from that era(48-55) and put it on it. I don't think VSC has a 1/2 A event for OTS, but you have grown a love for these little guys and an old design model would make a great home for it! A little Perfect wedge tank will be great for it. You dont want the rear mounted, one screw tank if you plan on using it.
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
Frank,
Like I said, I have one of these little ugly guys too! I wont ever use it, but its more stuff! Like the saying goes,"He who dies with the most toys, WIN!"

Seriously, like Dennis said, they aren't worth a bunch of bucks, but it would be really cool to build a plane from that era(48-55) and put it on it. I don't think VSC has a 1/2 A event for OTS, but you have grown a love for these little guys and an old design model would make a great home for it! A little Perfect wedge tank will be great for it. You dont want the rear mounted, one screw tank if you plan on using it.

I still want the tank. Keep an eye out.
I'd probably build an olde tyme FF model. S?P
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 10:32:24 PM »
I know what kinda guy Frank is...an old stubborn one.  Just like me.  He wants the tank just because he wants the tank.  I can identify completely.  Get the man the tank!!

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 11:47:48 PM »
Here's the other .045, the Spitzy. It's in a Scientific "Little Bipe". Forgive the reverse pitch prop. It was for photo only. Next is Spitfire .049, then a Royal Spitfire .065.
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 02:49:26 AM »
I know what kinda guy Frank is...an old stubborn one.  Just like me.  He wants the tank just because he wants the tank.  I can identify completely.  Get the man the tank!!

--Ray

Ray is right guys---I'm old and stubborn and I really, really want the fuel tank for this engine. If you have a spare or know where I can get one please let me know.
Frank Carlisle

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 07:08:13 AM »

Ray is right guys---I'm old and stubborn and I really, really want the fuel tank for this engine. If you have a spare or know where I can get one please let me know.

Frank, you'll probably want to blow a gasket but I like a bunch of other guys literally threw those tanks away. I also have all the motors that Rich posted.
Get a scientific American Boy and put it on. It will fly on 25 foot lines in dead calm conditions. Use a light wood prop, no APC's here. The shaft is pretty wimpy and I don't think the thing would like the weight except for flywheel action.
Let me check some of my old stuff I know that I have Holland and Atwood and Cub tanks but not sure about Anderson.
Oh and I'm older then you and probably just as stubborn. It's a rite of passage as you age, Not like fine wine but more like Limburgher cheese
Dennis

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 01:47:36 AM »
So contact Frank Bowman or Burnis Ray for the tank, or ask a MECA member to help with your search.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 08:27:16 PM »
I guess what I thought all these years to be a cox .049 in my old thimble drome car is actually a .045. The top part of the engine does look like the one pictured and not like the typical cox .049 . I need to dig that old thing out, clean it and run it again!
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here