News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:22:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Doculam: This covering material has many uses and is cost friendly  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
First let me explain I am not an expert on this stuff but I will try to get you started in the right direction.
This film has more than one use. Besides using as a covering material it can also beused as a see-thru protector of your plans. Lay out your plans and lay a sheet of Doculam over it and start building!

Advantages of Doculam:

Low cost per Sq ft.

Light weight! about one third of opaque iron on coverings
Simply irons on like the other major coverings
You can paint it on either side
Use crayons on the underside for decorating it if you want
Use sharpies as well
It is fuelproof
For flat scale finishes paint it on the outside
I believe you can use a printer to print graphics on the adhesive side. This has been tried with limited success so far.

Here are some of sources:
http://www.laminatorwarehouse.com/laminating_film.shtml

http://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/product_info/cPath/CAT154_CAT161/pfam_id/PFAM949/products_id/PRO130

http://www.usi-laminate.com/store/wpbec_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?Level1=6&Level2=30

Now for some links to other theads with lots of info to share:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2859

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274520

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4561567/anchors_4585155/mpage_1/key_doculam/anchor/tm.htm#4585155

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4577137/anchors_4580388/mpage_1/key_doculam/anchor/tm.htm#4580388

Here is a link to a covering comparison chart:
http://lee.org/flying/tips/

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
Re: Doculam: This covering material has many uses and is cost friendly
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 05:51:49 AM »
Just be careful, I see all kinds of comparisons between the real thin films and conventional materials.  Just remember, the real thin stuff isn't as strong in tension as the thicker stuff.  I works great on foam or sheet surfaces, but on open bays it isn't interchangeable with Monokote.  Used it to recover a Russian F2d airplane and it felt too flex to fly.

I use a lot of it, I build combat.  It is easy to use and cheap.  I like it over foam

by far the best stuff is Phil's SLC covering material.  A little more expensive but much stronger than doculam.

http://home.earthlink.net/~philcartier/webcat/catalog.html

Dave
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 07:33:33 AM by dave siegler »
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 04:14:36 PM »
Dave, thank you for sharing us with this information. This is the first mention I have heard from anyone that they thought Doculam might be an inferior covering material. especially on open bays or frames.
What mil is the Doculam you were having trouble with?

Here are a cople of pics of planes covered with Doculam.

Robert

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 08:47:28 PM »
Dave, thank you for sharing us with this information. This is the first mention I have heard from anyone that they thought Doculam might be an inferior covering material. especially on open bays or frames.
What mil is the Doculam you were having trouble with?

Here are a cople of pics of planes covered with Doculam.

Robert

Control line combat guys have been using clear mylar lamination film for a long time now.

I have either 1 or 1.5 mil right now.  There are no issues, it just provides very little strength in tension compared to silkspan, monokote or the thicker Mylars.  But you may not need it.  No way I would even think of using it on large open bays in control line, or a 10 foot glider for that matter. 

Some of the wing designs especially in controlline require some stiffness in the covering for structural integrity. 

The lightly loaded electric planes you have shown will not have an issue.  Most of the stiffness is in the structure the speeds are slow and the air loads are light.  It is great for that application.

A control line combat (80-100mph) or stunt model may pull over 20g in a tight corner.  The mylar used on an F2d airplane is much tougher than 1.5mil  douclam for reason.  The loads on a controlliner can be very high!

So it is good stuff, just use it for the proper application.  It works great on foam, or sheet surfaces, and smaller ligher craft.  Thicker or stronger formulations work just fine with all the advantages you listed.  Just understand its limitations and the requirements.

Get a sample of the SLC covering and you will be impressed by how tough it is.

Dave
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 12:11:40 AM »
I have no doubt what you say is true, but please keep in mind that this thread was started begause someone was as Ray ( minnesotamodeler ) Asked what Doculam was and wanted to know more about it and I felt that because there was so much to tell about it  that it would really sidtrack the "Re: CAUTION Flying 1/4A models" thread. So I started a new thread in reply.

I have never once said that Doculam ( or any other laminate brand covering is better ( in every way) than  Phil's SLC covering material. I have never used SLC myself and should try it, but probably  not for 1/4 A models. I would think that SLC would be much heavier ( grams per sq meter) than 1.5 mil Doculam.

Quote by dave siegler: "A little more expensive but much stronger than doculam."

Just out of curiosity how much is this SLC grams per sq meter? and what mil is it? what is the cost per sq meter?

1.5 mil Doculam if $24.00 per 27" wide by 500' long roll:
162,000 square inches. this would equal13,500 square feet convert to sqare meters equals 1254.15 square meters
take 24 dollars and divide by 1254.15 square meters equals $.019136466 per square meter or just over 19 cents per square meter!

I will accept that Doculam 1.0 or 1.5 mil  is no good for combat and for F2d on your word. I have no experience in that are.
Nor am I an expert in  all covering materials. Not even an expert on Doculam itself. I am merely quoting the info I have found.

Personally I have never covered the first control line plane with Doculam. I am new here on these forums. Been into R/C myself but want to come back to my roots a bit.

I was the one who first asked the question about using Doculam on the Queen bee in the "CAUTION Flying 1/4A models" thread.

I do not mean to step on anyone toes.

Robert

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 12:40:03 AM »
I might add that for my the first plane of my own that I covered with the Doculam was a Goldberg Gentle Lady sailplane. I have never had any problem with the stuff myself. I do welcome any comments to the contrary.
I will say that for economy I have found no equal to Doculam and that since it is very thin and light it may not suited for high speed  or high impact competition. If one were to subtract those areas of modeling from the other uses that it is more likely suited I believe it is still worth mentioning, especially to those who have never heard of it.

It also makes great crystal clear windows where flat panes are used.

Here is a pic of  P-38 covered entirely in Doculam including the floats!

Robert

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 01:27:10 AM »
now, that is one beautiful airplane.  Wonderful job, in constructing as well as covering.  I am in awe.

Robert, I appreciate the information you have provided us.  I intend to try some doculam on my "sport" 1/2A designs as well as the 1/4As we are currently tinkering with.  Sounds like it would be perfect for those applications. Thank you for sharing.

Dave, I also appreciate your observations on its limitations.  I remember early problems with Monocote when it first came out--we covered a 100 mph open-span combat plane with it, and the covering stretched so much during flight it began "buzzing" in the flight stream!  Obviously it was later improved and strengthened to the point that today, specialized plastic films can be successfully used in high-stress applications.  I'm not surprised that "general use" films would still exhibit that characteristic.  Not a problem in the light applications that spawned this thread, but good to know where to draw the line in its use.  Thank you both.

--Ray (I feel responsible since my question started this whole thing) Stone
Minnesotamodeler

--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 06:10:17 AM »
Sorry to come off bad, my point is all this stuff is not greated equal.  The stuff I have is too flimsey for anything except real small models or over foam.  Other stuff I have seen is quite stout, if you coverfed a 2m glider and it did not explode on the histart, you have the tougher stuff.   The formulation of the film makes and its thickness make a huge differnce.  I have no doubt that there is stuff that is a monokote replacement, but some of it is almost plastic kitchen wrap. At the other extreme, the stuff I got to repair F2D airplanes is like working with plywood....

What is the manufacture of the film you are using? I am almost out and will need to get some more.  I would like to get stuff that will work over open bays.

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 07:04:32 AM »
All these films are made from similar density plastics.  Polyester resin(Mylar(tm)) doesn't vary much.  A 1.5 mil film will weigh twice as much as a .75 mil film.  The differences between films comes in the processing(how much it is stretched during cooling, and how evenly it is stretched).  Some films have a pronounced machine direction like paper and will contract much more that way than at 90 deg. to it.  Other differences occur in the plastic formulation.  The exact grade of resin can make one film tougher and more tear resistant, or it can be clearer, or have a smoother finish.

I did extensive testing to select the SLC film for a balance of toughness, easy application, and the ability to stretch around corners, along with a tough, fuel-proof adhesive and cost.  It is .75 mil film, and yields 22,800 sq.in. per lb.  You can calculate the weight of the covering nearly to the gram on a plane.  I can't buy it in truckloads like Doculam, so the price will always be a bit higher.
phil Cartier

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 10:44:30 AM »
Thanks Ray and Phil, for joining in the discussion. Dave, good to see you back as well.

Dave of course you sonded bad after I plunked down a cherry filled, chocolate cream pie that was sugar free, 0 colesterol and you could eat it and never get full or tired of it and would in no way endanger your life,and it was nearly free!

Doculam is the brand name I use and there are several venues for it ( try the links in the first post).
Most of these come in 1.3, 1.5 and 1.7 mil which is the general usage I have seen. I suppose you could get it thinner or thicker. It also comes in different widths.
Dave said:
"I have either 1 or 1.5 mil right now."
If you were using 1 mil I could very easily see how you would have a problem. or even the 1.3 mil as I have only used the 1.5 mil. I understand the 1.7 is much tougher but it would weigh more as well. Still when Super Monokote (opaque) is 126 grams per square meter vs 41.5 grams per square meter for the 1.5 mil.

Here is some good info on different thickness on this website:
http://pldaniels.com/flying/balsa/using-laminating-film-for-models.html

Robert

Advertise Here

Advertise Here