News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:39:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do Merlin plugs fit Cox engines?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Do Merlin plugs fit Cox engines?
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:24:20 PM »
Hello,
  From what I remember, the Merlin plugs and inserts that fit the AP Wasp will also fit Cox engines? I currently run the adapters and Nelson plugs (from kitting it together) in my Cox engines. I find they give an extra thousand revs over Cox heads.
  I recently heard that Mr Nelson is retiring, does that mean the Nelson plugs will become obsolete? Will the Merlin plugs and adapters give the same sort of gain as the Nelson plugs, assuming they fit Cox engines?
  Being a bit of a cheapskate 3 merlin plugs and adapter are about $13 and the adapters for the Nelson heads are around $12. Is it a matter of you get what you pay for, or are the Merlin plugs just as good?

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Do Merlin plugs fit Cox engines?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »
          Andrew, they work and they work well. I found them to overcompress the engine. I use as many as 4-5 head gaskets. I use 35% nitro all the time and they're very durable. I use them in a 1/2 protospeed TD. Based on my experiences from speed to sport I recommend them for use in Cox engines. Use caution with a prime in the engine with these plugs as it will kick off with very little flipping. Ken

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
Thank you Kenneth,
  I wasn't sure if I remembered correctly!  I would guess that for ordinary lowly Cox engines maybe 4 or 5 headgaskets would be overkill?  I have several Galbreath head adapters, do I need to stock up on Nelson plugs? Or are there other alternatives out there? Mind you, I have yet to blow a Nelson plug in any of my Cox engines including TDs. So maybe my small stach will see me out!

Thanks,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »
          Actually Andrew, I found the need for 4 in my TD's and about 3 in the Black Widow. Its hard to actually say that is the correct amount as each engine is entirely different head clearance wise. Also, you will be able to tell if it needs an additional gasket due to the hard starting and the prop flipping back and forth indicating overcompression. I generally start with 3 though. I'm using a Merlin plug currently on a Sure Start engine. I get extremely good runs, starts. I find it to be very satisfying to be able to get such good performance and reliability for so little. Ken

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:01:03 PM »
Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but I too have used the Nelson heads and if I put 2 -3 shims under the head, I could not keep it tight.  After every run, it would be loose.  Only one gasket it would stay tight, but erratic runs.  Any ideas?

John

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »
John,

Your problem I believe is that your head shims are old & hard. Replacing with new soft shims should cure the problem. One report is to heat the existing shims with a torch & let cool to restore the softness. Don't know, never tried it myself... best of luck.

Paul

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 06:21:08 AM »
Hello John,
I can confirm Paul's observations, Heat the gaskets up to near red heat and let them cool all by themselves. They have become workhardened by the act of compressing them, heating them makes them go soft again.

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here