News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:07:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Diesel O-rings.  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Diesel O-rings.
« on: May 27, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
My question is, what O-ring material stands up best for model diesel engine contra piston sealing?

Got both of my 1950 McCoy .049 diesels running last week. These are the original radial mount version, not the later beam mount type (though I have one of those as well). Both apparently had worn O-rings because the compression was leaking down. Max RPM with a Cox gray 6 X 3 prop was just under 12K on Red Max fuel of unknown type (that was recommended by Ed Carlson for the MK17 Russian engines). The MK is also plain bearing like the McCoys.

After running both of these engines up to full operating temperature, I was able to unscrew the cylinder on one of them, but could not get the head off the cylinder. The other engines head and cylinder are still frozen solidly in place. Pushed the contra piston out the bottom of the removed cylinder, and found an original white rubber O-ring worn completely flat on the outside.

Made a quick trip to ACE hardware, and found some Buna-N faucet O-rings that fit perfectly. I'm hearing that those are not the best material for contra piston sealing, and would like to know what works better? Viton?

Anyway, the engine now turns about 13.2K, and holds the compression setting nicely.

I was amazed at the sloppy fit of the contra piston on this engine. Don't remember seeing that on my original, but it could have been the same way.

Bill

Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
Re: Diesel O-rings.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 01:56:41 AM »
Bill,
I use Viton "O" rings in my McCoy Diesels (2 .049s and 2 .09s). The modern rings seem to last a long time.
I had to make special tools to disassemble my engines because you don't want to use pliers or vice grips on the cylinder heads and cylinders.
The "O" rings really don't wear out but over time suffer from "compression set" and loose their ability to seal.
The buna N rings will last for a while and are cheap so you can afford to replace them when needed.
The reason the US manufacturers used the "O" rings was to reduce the cost of manufacturing since they didn't have to hone and fit the contra piston. The contra piston could be made with a loose fit with "O" ring seals.
I can't remember if the McCoy contra pistons are made of steel or aluminum. If made from aluminum, the fit must be loose to compensate for the differential expansion.

Orv.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:49:27 AM »
Hi Orv,

Thanks for the info.  H^^

Looking at a few web sites with O-ring comparison charts, the Viton rings do appear to have the best features for our use. I'll sure give them a try, when I run out of the Buna-N rings.

Like you, I don't use pliers or vice grips. Don't think I even own a pair of large pliers.

Normally, I try heat and penetrating oil to free up engine parts, but the McCoy seemed to need a little heat, along with vibration (running) to free the cylinder. Had to make a new cylinder gasket, because the original crumbled.

I'm going to try to free up the other cylinders, by clamping in pine or other soft wood slit rings, bored just big enough to slip the cylinders into. A hose clamp should work to compress the wood clamps, and keep even pressure around the cylinder fins.

Someone suggested using a strap wrench, but I've had no luck with those.

Bill

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:39:57 PM »
...of unknown type (that was recommended by Ed Carlson for the MK17 Russian engines). The MK is also plain bearing like the McCoys.

Bill

Bill,

I think you are wrong about the MK-17 being plain bearing. The three that I have are BB. One of the finer points of the MK-17 is that they have instrument grade BB's.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 04:08:40 PM »
George,

Thanks for pointing that out.  H^^

I stand corrected - again!    n1

Had to look up the fine article in MEN, and it mentions dual ball races. Could have (and obviously did) fool me with the straight crank housing on that engine.

http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/mk17.html

Might also explain the surprising good performance of my McCoys, as that Red Max fuel (label unreadable) is probably blended for ball bearing engines, with a higher kerosene content than the equal parts blend I always mixed.

I'm really tempted to order a MK17, but they are a bit heavy for an .09, and I've never owned an engine that size.

How do you like your trio of MK17 engines?

Bill

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 04:36:24 PM »
I use the black O-rings I get at the hardware store.  They seem to last indefinitely, but I change them out if I happen to have the engine apart. One of the toucher things about diesels is getting the contrapiston/cylinder fit exactly right.  It has to be loose enough that the contrapiston does not seize when the engine warms up, so that you cannot reduce compression if you want to.  On the other hand, it cannot be so loose that it leaks, or even worse, falls out of the cylinder onto the piston while the engine is running.  Using an O-ring makes it easy to get a good working fit, and I don't see that it compromises performance.   

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »
Jim,

Those are probably Buna-N, commonly used for faucet cartridges.

I bought a few of them myself, and as little as I fly,  they should last for a while.

The chart I looked at says they are good up to 300 degrees F, so I'm not expecting them to last forever. I have no idea what head temperatures are normal for a diesel model engine, so perhaps the operating temp is low enough for these rings.

What diesels are you running?

Bill

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 12:05:14 AM »
Hi Orv,

Like you, I don't use pliers or vice grips. Don't think I even own a pair of large pliers.

Normally, I try heat and penetrating oil to free up engine parts, but the McCoy seemed to need a little heat, along with vibration (running) to free the cylinder. Had to make a new cylinder gasket, because the original crumbled.

I'm going to try to free up the other cylinders, by clamping in pine or other soft wood slit rings, bored just big enough to slip the cylinders into. A hose clamp should work to compress the wood clamps, and keep even pressure around the cylinder fins.

Bill

Hi Bill,
I wish everyone who owns these small engines wouldn't have pliers. I got my first McCoy .09 from an R/C acquaintance who so aggressively used pliers on the head that he machined off all of the anodizing as can be seen in the photo of my Keil Kraft Phantom. Even though the engine was scarred up pretty bad, it turned out to be a strong runner and really pulls that Phantom around. I have acquired a fairly large collection of small diesels and really like them for my free flight models. The other evening I was out with my Mills .75 powered Tomboy to play a little FF golf. With just a small fuel bottle in my pocket, I would fuel up and with one flip, the old mills would light up. I'd toss the plane in the air and go down wind to where it landed and repeat the process. A short time later, I was over a mile away from where I started...... good fun!

Orv.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 10:17:48 PM »
Viton O-rings can be had from smallparts.com along with viton fuel tubing and just about any wierd s.. uhh, stuff you might imagine.  Great place.

To remove cylinders, cut a block of wood about 1/2" square bigger than the outside diameter.  Drill a hole as close to the O.D. (but just oversize) as possible in the block, then cut the block in half vertically with a bandsaw, saber saw, jig saw (you do want some gap from the cut, sand it in if you use a razor saw).  Use this as a clamp in a vice to apply whatever force needed to remove the head from the cylinder or the cylinder from the crankcase.  The fins, even aluminum ones will dig into the wood without ever being damaged (if you apply enough force to eliminate slippage).  Due to the shape, you can't distort the cylinder or chew up the outside.  This has worked for me down to dealing with my Bambi .009 (yes that is the correct number of zeroes).
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 11:57:38 PM »
Orv,

It would suit me just fine if they never made another pair of pliers, but the chaps who use them would probably just find another unsuitable tool.  ::)

I'd love to do free flight again, but we have so few places for that here in the city. Have a Dakota, and a Sniffer kit on the shelf, and either would be lots of fun to replicate.

My first powered free flight was a Fubar, but it didn't survive the test glides on our bramble covered hills on the farm. Shredded tissue was the price of flying stick and tissue free flight there. My sheet wing designs were much more successful.

Always loved the Phantom, and some of the other early Brit kits. Yours is a real beauty, and those skinned cylinder fins don't look bad at all.

Bill

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 12:16:11 AM »
Thanks for the link, Larry.  H^^

Don't have a regular drill press, or a vice, but I know people who do.  ;D

Bill

Online Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 07:34:24 AM »

Pliers -- pipe wrench -- flat screw driver -- rusty pocket knife

what more could a guy wish for?
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 01:17:23 PM »

Pliers -- pipe wrench -- flat screw driver -- rusty pocket knife

what more could a guy wish for?

Cheap parts, to replace all the ruined ones!  ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here