News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:35:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Demise of the LittleAxe  (Read 1380 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Demise of the LittleAxe
« on: April 23, 2007, 05:38:04 PM »
Well, I discovered something today...flapped airplanes won't fly without elevator control.  Flying my LittleAxe for what was gonna be (and, as it turns out, was) the last flight of the day--testing different props.  Just put on a 3-blade 5x3 and it seemed to be pulling pretty well; unfortunately, the wheel collar I was using for a pushrod keeper at the elevator horn took a leave of absence; on the back side of a lazy eight, just as the plane was turning up.  Forget any nonsense about the pitching properties of wingflaps--no such luck.  I had plenty of time, as the plane headed over the top in a majestic wingover, to try full up and full down--repeatedly--not even a waver...the airplane had suicide on its mind.  It had become a UFO--Uncontrolled Flying Object. Flying over (hard) grass, so it could have been worse: Outboard wing folded, fuselage pretty much shattered over and behind the wing. I THINK the nose is OK, seems solid, but rest assured I will go over it with a fine toothed comb during the rebuild, if there is one. At least the engine survived intact.

Such is modeling!

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Demise of the LittleAxe
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 05:51:29 PM »
That was a very pretty plane.  Take what you have learned and do it again, better!  Especially the pushrod end  HB~>
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 06:47:54 PM »
I thought I had it bad when I lost a wheel Sat. and tore off the gear landing.
You are going to fix or replace it right?

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 08:20:32 PM »
Oh, sure, Bill, I'm a firm believer in the Modeling Mantra--"If you're gonna fly, you're gonna crash." I really like the way the LA flies...I had just taken it through some very respectable triangles the flight before...I'm not a stunt pilot, remember! But a capable plane sure makes it a lot easier.

Not sure yet if it'll be a "fix" or a "replace"--I never make that determination right after a crash...I'll let it sit a few days and then start cutting into it and see how extensive the damage is.  Meanwhile I guess I'll resurrect the previous prototype, pig that it is, and keep practicing. I would like to be able to become comfortable flying the AMA pattern, unlike the moments of panic that currently occur at certain spots (square eights, overheads, triangles, hourglass-es)--maybe even a recognizable one.

If I do trash it and build a new one it will indeed be better, Larry. I learn something from every plane I build.  For instance, I learned from this one that I'm still overbuilding--a crash like today, straight over the top and directly into hard dirt, should have shattered the thing into a kazillion pieces--but it's still largely intact, though pretty thoroughly broken. So I can make one even lighter!

Thanks, guys, for the comments.

--Ray

--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 04:55:46 AM »
Bummer Ray.........I think I'll go back to the models I built with wheel collars for keepers aand add a little solder.

Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 07:52:05 AM »
Frank, not a bad notion at all; maybe some JB weld or something. Biggest deterrent, obviously, would be for the pilot to have enough sense to check the thing once in awhile.

Any bites on the Queen Bee?

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 08:36:34 AM »
I am writing this not to critize but to inform others who do not know.
1- when ever using a wheel collar it is best to file a small flat in the wire under the screw. It makes a better lock on the wire and if the screw loosens it still can not get past the ledge of the notch.
2- I used R/C clevis on a 2-56 threaded push rod on several planes. It is a little heavier but can be fine adjusted and never comes loose.
3- "Z" bend is easy to do and never comes loose. 90 deg. bend, 90 deg. bend and a twist.

I am sorry about your plane.......well back to the autogiro!
Larry

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 10:41:26 AM »
Frank, not a bad notion at all; maybe some JB weld or something. Biggest deterrent, obviously, would be for the pilot to have enough sense to check the thing once in awhile.

Any bites on the Queen Bee?

--Ray

No bites on the QB Ray...........Might have to actually fly it.
Frank Carlisle

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here