News:

• May 12, 2024, 12:49:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox TD 049  (Read 954 times)

Offline Dick Carville

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Cox TD 049
« on: April 06, 2020, 02:08:35 PM »
Hi 1/2 A guys
 I hope you can give me some info.  I built ST60 stunt ships for 20 years and have been in electric ( 60 size) for the last half dozen years or so.

I thought it might be a kick to build a half A. I have started a Dick Mathis "Pinto"  (nice little plane)  A good friend gave me a new in box Cox  TD 049 for the project. When I look at it I see the exhaust ports are front and back as opposed to on the side as I expected. I looked for TD's on the net and it appears  some came through with side ports and some with front and rear ports.

Can this motor be used on a full body ship without oil soaking?  Suggestions?

Oh ya, I'm finding building small stuff challenging-but fun

Dick

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Cox TD 049
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 03:41:09 PM »
Hi 1/2 A guys

Can this motor be used on a full body ship without oil soaking?  Suggestions?

Oh ya, I'm finding building small stuff challenging-but fun

Dick

At least fuel proof the nose with finishing resin.  Then, even better, paint the whole airplane with epoxy paint.  You will want to run Your TD with a respectable amount of nitro, like at least 20%.  Not many dope finishes hold up well to that stuff.

Keith

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 03:46:26 PM »
          Optimally, having the ports aligned as your engine is offers the best performance. This can be changed using shims under the cylinder. However, without seeing the engine to know exactly where the piston is at TDC vs the plug landing, this could also alter your performance slightly. Darrell Albert purchased much of the Kustom Kraftmanship  goodies offered for Cox engines. He had these shims offered in .001"-.003" thickness. Darrel is a member of Stunthangar on pg 21 of the memberlist. While it's always a known fact that mufflers do just what they're supposed to do, they generally rob power. However, a lot of testing has been done on some of these and surprisingly the results were not as poor as originally suspected.

If these are no longer obtainable, my suggestion would be first to use a timing shim that Cox International or Matt at EX Model engines offered. I gave a quick look and didn't see them but that's what they were referred to as. They offered them in .010"- .015". No telling how the ports will end up just something that may work. The other option is to against my beliefs is to use a muffler. Keep in mind, the TD uses sub port induction, therefore it won't work properly unless a shim is under the cylinder to block it off.  This is required so that spent gasses don't go back into the case robbing power and performance. Both EX Model engines owned by Matt, and Cox International owned by Bernie offer mufflers. Any of the  mufflers they would offer for a .049-.051 fits your TD. The only exception would be if the venturi of the TD interfered with the circumference of the muffler and either one of these fellows will quickly respond to a e-mail.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 07:21:17 PM »
it was learned years ago that you don't want a tight cowl around a TD .it has sub piston induction and u will get exhaust residue back into the motor robbing power

if u really want to turn the cyl  u are looking for power not RPM .a little figure 8 work on the case flange with 400 wet  will do the job  wont take much.

pull the head ,if the piston is flush with the top flange at TDC I would leave it alone
rad racer

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 09:24:36 PM »
Frankly, the Tee Dee may be a bit much for the Pinto. Search for a Medallion in top shape. Or plan to use LONG lines! Probably a 1 1/4 ounce tank and 52" lines with a 5x3 prop. Epoxy the engine compartment and let the oil go where it will. The port configuration you have is the ideal. Don't mess with it or add a muffler.

A really good combination would be a muffled Norvel Big Mig  .061 with an APC 6x2 prop on 10% fuel. 3/4 ounce tank is all you would need, they are much more frugal than the Cox engines. Mind you I am the ultimate Cox fan, but will face up to reality. That would fly on 45' .008" lines at a respectable speed with good line tension.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:05:19 AM »
Larry is right. A Medallion is a much friendlier engine than a TD. TD engines are great powerplants, but they are more to the competition side. When it gets down to the .020 and .010 engines they are not friendly nor necessarily easy to start. Medallion engines run very well on suction fuel feed and are easy to needle.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Dick Carville

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 11:24:08 AM »
Guys

Thanks so much for your thoughtful replies. I learned a lot . I have not run a half A since the 1950's and then it was OK Cubs.

Since Dick Mathis used the TD I think I'll stick with it.  I'll just paint with epoxy and let it rip. Base on your comments it should be Ok . Just a fun thing to do to fill time.

Again, thanks for the advice

Dick

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 01:36:00 PM »
Guys

Since Dick Mathis used the TD I think I'll stick with it. 

Again, thanks for the advice

Dick

Like Larry Renger said, a Cox Medallion on the Pinto would be a happier match, if you have the Medallion.  Dick Mathis is a master designer/builder/flyer of all things CL and FF and knew how to match his TD to the Pinto.  Since you already have the TD, have fun.

Keith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 02:29:23 PM »
A TeeDee .049 can run on suction very well if you just downsize the venturi.  Put pins of wires in the spray holes and fill it with JB Weld for a similar epoxy.  Then pull out the pins and drill it to a smaller size.
Paul Smith

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 09:44:38 PM »
An easy way to tame a TD 049 is to get a housing/venturi and a needle valve assembly for a Medallion. They easily replace the TD front housing. Send me your email and I'll send you a Medallion front housing. I don't have a Medallion needle valve assembly spare. You will need the Needle valve assembly including the clip that holds it in the venturi.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 09:16:19 AM »
Seriously Dick you are getting good advice...yes for sure the TeeDee will fly hat pinto...but it is a pain to tame and will screw you into the ground post haste....many folk say...well... just use longer lines.  That works a little until the line length overcomes the light planes ability to stay pointed out of the circle...thunk on that a tad
you been offers a Medallion front carb body sans  NVA..                   I have two NVA willing to mail one free to you

many manny of us flew and have great nostalgic memories of our pintos...we want you to smile and have a blast...I love my TeeDees...but truthfully those buggers can be a pain without a bladder
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 12:08:35 PM »
   I have kits and plans for the Pinto, and given what I have learned over the years about 1/2A engines and such, if I were to use a TeeDee.049, I would mount it in on an r/c mount in a side winder configuration. This would get the cylinder out in the breeze to take advantage of the for/aft exhaust ports and the sub pot induction. This would leave the area around the crank case more open and have all the cylinder/head heat already outside the fuselage. The needle will be a bit easier to reach on top I think also. To sleeve the venturi down, the JB weld trick is interesting, but I would try aluminum tubing first. It will be a challenge to drill out the sprinkler holes, though, unless you can keep the sleeve above them??
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 10:22:24 PM »
Guys--you need to go look at the Pinto before y'all start with the endless mods. The stock design has an inverted engine and no bottom cowl. The engine sits in a bathtub. If you just brush the inside of the engine compartment with epoxy (I believe Keith was suggesting that) and then paint the thing--I would use KlassKote--you should be golden. And, no, none of the wood structure is so close to the exhaust ports so as to be likely to burn the finish.  I've seen a couple of these fly and was impressed. One had a medallion. Not sure about the other. I grabbed a Hobby Fasteners kit when I came across one a year or so ago. So I'm looking right at the plans. Ain't no cowling in the way. At most, you might scallop the fuse edges there--but if your exhaust ports are front and back the cylinder is still a quarter inch or more from the firewall. If that worries you, just stick on a piece of tin stock right there. My thought is this, if a talented designer was happy with it, it's likely I would be too. (Did you ever see a good rendition of his Excalliber? Wow!) Now, if you go off on a tangent and add a Nobler-looking abomination to the front of the thing, then you have caused a whole new set of issues. Why go there....?

What Dan is not realizing is that if you try to go sidewinder on the skinny full fuse job like the Pinto your tank position will be terrible. You can't line up the fuel mass with the needle in the inboard/outboard direction. So you'll have to set it screaming lean on the ground only to have it go rich in the air. I have had to fix a couple of OPPs (Other People's Planes) in the last couple of years for just this problem.

Don't worry about the orientation of the exhaust ports. It'll be fine.

I just made up a Pinto tank to the Mathis plans for my fellow club member, Mustang Bill. He's got one Pinto he likes and has ambitions to build another. If the tank doesn't make sense just from looking at the plans, then read the article on how you fill it up. It only has two tubes, and no, you don't have to take the line off the needle valve to fill it. My thanks to Mustang Bill for pointing that out to me.

You picked out a great plane. How you have fun with the project!

The Divot

PS--You might want to look up the Barry Baxter article on his 1/2A Stuka in the AMA archives. There's useful info in it for running that engine.

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 08:38:51 AM »
  My Pinto is powered with a Medallion .049 and flies great on 42' lines. The Medallion holds a setting well and
has plenty of power for the Pinto. The cowl is the stock bathtub and the tank is the one Mathis designed.
               Bill  [ Mustang Bill]
AMA 325076

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 03:14:45 PM »
All the guys have given good advice.  My experience with the Tee Dee is to use a lower pitch prop.  I run 6-3 props on mine.  I still Have my Pinto that flies great with my Tee Dee and 6-3  APC prop on 35 foot lines.  Could probably go to 40 foot smaller dia lines as mine I use .012 cable 35 foot center of plane to center of handle. D>K

John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 07:01:27 PM »
 Dan Mc I sent you a P/M  Gil...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Advertise Here
Tags: