News:

• May 09, 2024, 01:31:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox tank/engine mount plumbing?  (Read 856 times)

Offline Dallas Healey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Cox tank/engine mount plumbing?
« on: November 03, 2007, 05:29:34 AM »
I have just tried using my Cox combination tank/engine mount for the first time but couldn't seen to get the TD 051 to draw fuel from any of the available nozzles. There are 3 choices, two metal ones which are probably only vents and a third lower nozzle at the bottom of the tank. I assume the third one is supposed to be the fuel feed pipe but the motor wouldn't draw fuel properly even when using an electric starter. I eventually gave up and went back to using a fuel line to my conventional tank on my test stand and got one short (about a minute) run until the glow plug gave up. Is it supposed to be this difficult to run a TD? Which is the correct nozzle for the fuel feed? I was only using 10% nitro, do TDs need more nitro to stay lit than this?

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Cox tank/engine mount plumbing?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 06:00:13 AM »
The red Tee Dee tank mounts feed from the little plastic nipple on the bottom left facing the tank. They are for short runs and mostly level flights, engine will shut off while inverted. The td's burn a lot of fuel and they do like at least 20% nitro. If you have to use a tank mount, a norvel tank mount will work a little better if you can find one, but a 1 oz. clunker tank such as a Sullivan or a balloon works better for fueling a td along with a standard mount such as a dave brown #0405 for sport flying.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 06:20:40 AM »
It should work like a champ.

Are you sure all three vents are clear?  Needle valve clear, too?

The feed vent is positioned on the bottom, correcto? 

Has somebody drilled out the venturi so it needs presure?

I would consider 20% nitro a bare minimum.
Paul Smith

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 04:33:45 PM »
The way those tanks were manufactured, it is faintly possible that the fuel pickup (yes the red nipple on the bottom) could be blocked.  Get a piece of fuel hose and see if you can blow through this nipple easily.  If not, you may be able to clear it with a small drill.  Be careful not to go through the back plate!

The tanks are pretty useless for C/L stunt unless you mount them at about 45 degrees with the engine inverted and inboard.  In addition, it does not QUITE match the mounting holes of the reed engines.  Basically a really poorly thought out design!  Sorry.

The Norvel tank DOES match the C*x Reed engine mounting and with the visible plastic and replacable tubes, is WAY more useful.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here