News:

• May 05, 2024, 05:03:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox plane help  (Read 709 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Cox plane help
« on: March 21, 2009, 10:48:53 AM »
Hi there. I was just given a Cox stunter airplane, and was wondering if anyone knows what type of plastic was used in these planes. Has a couple things to fix, but need to know what type of plastic so I can use the right repair material.  It is a Cox Super Sport Trainer. Pinkish one with the numbers 32 on it. Made in between 1974 and 1978. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks
Chancey

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
Re: Cox plane help
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:10:53 AM »
Chancey,
Most if not all Cox planes were molded from high impact polystyrene. Instant glue (CA) will work well and so will model cement for plastic models.
To test to see if the material is indeed polystyrene, put a drop of lacquer thinner or acetone (nail polish remover) on a place where it will not be seen. leave it there for about a minute and wipe it off. If it has started to dissolve the plastic then it is most likely polystyrene.
Orv.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 07:19:34 PM »
Dang!  My memory is going; can't remember what we molded that from.  I think the Super Sport was polystyrene, in wich case, standard plastic model cement will work just fine.  Otherwise, it might be polypropylene, in which case all you could do is hope to weld the cracks together with a soldering iron, heat controlled by a light dimmer.

To check, just touch an inconspicuous spot with MEK, lacquer thinner, Acetone or other agressive solvent.  If it is polystyrene, you will leave a sticky spot, if polypropylene, you will leave a very clean spot.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Wow.  Cool.  Thanks for the help.  I will get to it tomorrow while we are getting all stormed in up here.  Either plastic will be fixed, just hoping for the latter as I am a bodyman and have a plastic welder and rods for these type of repairs, and love plastic welding.  ;D  Thank you again.

Chancey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here