News:

• May 27, 2024, 12:00:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox diecast engine question  (Read 817 times)

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cox diecast engine question
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:49:10 PM »
Second try, I'll try to get the grammar right this time.

For you COX engine experts. 

I recently got a diecast COX .049.  I needed to invert the backplate to change the NV position.  I noticed when I had the backplate off that there is no spring on the reed inside the "reed retainer".  The reed appears to be a very loose fit, fore/aft, within the retainer.  Is this normal?  I haven't tried to run it yet.

I have a "sure start" type backlate that came off an extruded crankcase, it has a spring on the reed.  That spring holds the reed firmly against in seat.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Alan Hahn

Re: Cox diecast engine question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:07:31 PM »
I think quite a few of the Cox reed valves work just fine without springs, but it may depend on the actual reed material. The stainless steel reeds seem to just be captured by the plastic retainer--as far as I can tell there is no "spring" involved.

I'm guessing Larry Renger would be the authoritative voice here.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 07:45:48 AM »
I haven't taken a Sure Start apart yet, but the traditional cox reed just has the edges held in place by the retainer and the body of the reed free to move in / out.
The fluctuations in crancase pressure caused by the pumping action of the piston moving up / down is what seats / unseats the reed over the intake passage- no spring is required.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 08:06:46 AM »
Reviewing the Cox reed valve engines I hav, there are two distinct types.
Original design had the red retained with a wire clip that sets in a grove in the plastic and the second type has the reed captured by a plastic cap.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Second try, I'll try to get the grammar right this time.

For you COX engine experts. 

I recently got a diecast COX .049.  I needed to invert the backplate to change the NV position.  I noticed when I had the backplate off that there is no spring on the reed inside the "reed retainer".  The reed appears to be a very loose fit, fore/aft, within the retainer.  Is this normal?  I haven't tried to run it yet.

I have a "sure start" type backlate that came off an extruded crankcase, it has a spring on the reed.  That spring holds the reed firmly against in seat.

Don,
For the first one, make sure the reed retainer is seated against the backplate all the way.

If by spring you mean the circle type that fits in a groove, the center part is not supposed to hold the reed against the seat, it is to limit how much the reed can travel. It may be on backward.

Either type of reed should seat lightly against the back normally. It should open when there is vacuum in the crankcase (or pressure from the intake).

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 10:32:20 AM »
Thanks all!

I'll try it as is and see what happens.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »
An easy test to see if the reed valve is working, use a piece of clean fuel tubing.  Hold it against the back of the engine and alternately blow and suck on the tubing.  If the reed is working the air will go in easily but no air will come out. 
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 06:15:31 PM »
Sorry, I just noticed this thread.

The reed is supposed to float freely, not be sprung against the seat.  Air pressure either way is supposed to be the only force to move and seal the reed valve.  As a kid I thought that the spring was supposed to force the reed shut ...NOT!  Let it float, and it will work just fine, about .020 range is what I remember is the clearence for it to be free.  As long as it can't run away into the crankcase, it probably is just fine.

The old bronze reeds were excellent, the Mylar reeds were even better for the first few runs, but then the heat in the engine would warp them.  We went to the Stainless Steel reeds as a design that worked well at all times for a very long time.  I tested a variety of materials, including thicker and thinner Stainless, and came up with what seemed the best solution for production, performance and durability.

I have ever been a modeler, and kept the needs of the "hard core" in mind as a designer for commercial producers.  Quality would never be sacraficed for a small increase in profit if I had my say (and I may not have let the bosses know the alternative..... VD~ )
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here