News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:37:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox Black Widow  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Cox Black Widow
« on: January 22, 2007, 01:37:09 AM »
I have a brand new Cox Black Widow, the last version with the pastic backplate and tank, that I am thinking about using on the 1/2A Snapper.

A couple questions;  The tank has a filler tube and a small vent hole beside it.  The other Black Widows (all old ones with metal backplates/tanks) have the old one vent up, one down.  What do I need to do (or can I do anything?) for inverted flight?

Should I put this one back in the box and get out another one??? ;D

I have an all silver Cox .049 (possibly brand new, too) that has the Black Widow style vented large metal tank/backplate.  Anyone know what this engine is?

Thanks guys!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
Re: Cox Black Widow
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 02:31:09 AM »
Hi Bill.
AFAIK, stunt vented tanks are the ones wit a pipe up and a pipe down, resulting in a "non uniflow stunt venting". The one with overflow upstairs will resut in leaking when inverted or "negative G´s" applied.
Hope it helps.
Kind regards.
Manuel.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 09:20:53 AM »
I think Manuel is right...pull a top-and-bottom-vented tank apart and you'll see each vent run to nearly the opposite wall.  Vents the same upright or inverted.  You could plug the filler tube on your single-vented tank, after filling, and it wouldn't leak inverted but probably would run leaner, having to pull air through the fuel load then.  Cox made several different models of engines with the Black Widow-style oversize tank, some double-vented, some not...the Golden Bee comes to mind, and I know there are some others--the Texaco, maybe?  Others will know.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 09:34:45 AM »
I have a brand new Cox Black Widow, the last version with the pastic backplate and tank, that I am thinking about using on the 1/2A Snapper.

A couple questions;  The tank has a filler tube and a small vent hole beside it.  The other Black Widows (all old ones with metal backplates/tanks) have the old one vent up, one down.  What do I need to do (or can I do anything?) for inverted flight?

Should I put this one back in the box and get out another one??? ;D

I think they sold this both as the Black Widow and the Babe Bee for awhile. I would suggest you cap the fill nipple with blocked fuel tubing, it will leave the small vent hole to do the breathing. No fuel should exit because it is sucking air, and it is a very small hole. I have not tried it.

I have an all silver Cox .049 (possibly brand new, too) that has the Black Widow style vented large metal tank/backplate.  Anyone know what this engine is?

Thanks guys!
Bill <><

Yes, it is one of the later BW iterations. I have one NIB.

Toward the last Cox had many versions...as if they were cleaning out parts. The first BW you mentioned came after the all aluminum one (with plastic backplate).

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 01:57:57 PM »
Thanks, guys!  The good ting is, I can very easily change from one to the other if things don't work as they should.  y1

I haven't used a Cox .049 but once in the last 40 plus years (and that was for less than a dozen flights!), but I will very soon!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 02:55:33 AM »
Hi all.
Please, let´s know how it goes!!
I´m involved in 1/2 A stunters, at this moment building a Baby Flite Streak for a Surestart 049.
I´ll keep you posted.
Regards.
Manuel.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 06:40:24 PM »
Sure would like to see a pic or two of your Baby Flite Streak!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here