News:

• May 08, 2024, 04:35:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox black widow  (Read 703 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cox black widow
« on: August 24, 2020, 06:06:24 PM »

I have one of these that I ran for about 3-5 minutes Sat afternoon 10-22 fuel, then today it would only run the prime..  What could be wrong???   Using a Cox 6x3 prop both times...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
Re: Cox black widow
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 08:54:51 PM »
Gil,
Sounds like the reed is stuck. The reed can often be freed up by backing the needle open 3 turns , fill the tank, hold a finger over one of the fill/overflow tubes, hold another finger over the inlet hole in the backplate, and pressurize the other fill/overflow tube with a fuel bulb. That will force fuel past the reed.
On another note, 10% nitro is low for that engine. It would be happier with 15 to 25% nitro. I run 25% Nitro in all my .010, .020, and .049 engines.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 09:06:35 PM »
Do you have enough fuel line to make a plug for one vent/filler, and force-feed the tank? Once the tank is pressurized, fuel should dribble from the screen/venturi. You want to plug the second vent before the tank is full and tip the engine so the pickup line is "on the bottom." If you do get fuel from the venturi, then you know the pickup line is in the right spot (or close), and the pickup line is secured to the nipple on the backplate.
If you don't get fuel flow, then pull the needle and squirt a good bit down the needle hole to see if the fuel hole is plugged. Another check, though even messier, is to pull the needle and while holding your fuel pump line over the air inlet, squirt fuel in. While a good bit of pressure will lift the reed valve, a light push should still have a bit of fuel bubble up through the needle passage. In other words, you are testing fuel flow through the needle in both directions. Even removing the needle and pressurizing the tank (plug one, pump the other filer again) should produce fuel flow out through the vacant needle hole...again showing the pickup line is still attached to the backplate.

A weak seal when wet, such like running rich helps seal the places the engine can leak...the o-ring between the tank and backplate, the front crankcase bushing to crank, and the part of the tank the reed seals against.

Have you been in the engine lately? Hard pickup lines can crack...so much as to disrupt fuel pickup. The red may have a bit of trash under it (see "so rich it seals" above). Also this could be a good time to try another reed...especially if you have a floppy disk you can make a test reed from. A stuck reed can do the same thing...remove the glowplug, and position the piston so it has the transfer port open from the crankcase to the piston top. Now blow some air into the venturi and feel/listen for air passing into the block under the piston and escaping out through the transfer port. No airflow means the red is stuck. You could use a syringe full of fuel doing the same thing...so expect to see fuel percilate up to the piston crown instead of air.

Go over to CEF and get Paul Gilbert's Mouse racer build guide. It has quite a few hints for the Bee engines, especially for tanks/pickups/Reed's. See the bottom left corner for the entrance to their files (under the "latest threads" column).

I'll keep watching to see how it goes for you.

PS I assume you got my AP Wasp PM, but my offer was too low.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 07:46:02 PM »

Jim, thanks for the advice on the black widow, and no sir I did not get the P/M on the 061 engines and they are still available for the price posted in the classified section... H^^    H^^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here