News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:05:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: COX .049 .... What Plane?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
COX .049 .... What Plane?
« on: October 03, 2008, 05:58:10 AM »
I've got a couple of 1970ish Cox .049 Bee's .... one is the QZ with the suppressor ring. Both engines run and I want to put them in planes. There is a 5.5 x4 prop attached to one of them. As a kid, I remember flying them in a Lil' Satan type combat plane. Have been looking at the Lil' Satan, and also the Baby Clown. Would these be a good choice for those engines? I'm also going to guess at 30-35' lines?  With the engines, was a quart of KB 500 fuel. The can is full, and the fuel looks perfect. The can says its for R/C, C/L and Stunt.

Just trying to get something thrown together and not go crazy about it. I can post pics if necessary .....

FlySafe!  Larry (Larrys4227)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: COX .049 .... What Plane?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 06:35:27 AM »
          There is a wide range of planes that these engines would be ideal on made by Black Hawk Models, their site is: WWW.BLACKHAWKMODELS.COM
          K & B 500 was not meant for .049 engines, as I recall it was 1000.
Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 06:50:11 AM »
Two things to remember about Cox 1/2 A and smaller engines.

Lots of Nitro, 25 to 35 %.
Lots of oil.  If in doubt, add some more Caster.

I run all of my Cox engines, .010 to .049 on at least 25% Nitro fuel and about 28% Caster oil.

I have an old Cox Fuel can that states "35% Nitro".

Check with Ray "Minisotamodeler" Stone for some unusual models for these engines.  Hope Ray is feeling better and can provide you with one of his designs, Such as the diamond airfoil model.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 07:59:45 AM »
I read some references to K&B 500 and C/L .... nothing specific to .049's tho. I've also got a pint and quart can of Cox fuel.  Or I could just ditch it all and get some SIG 25% .... I think SSHobbies has it.  There seem to be ALOT of different planes that these motors would fly.  What I'm looking for is something simple and hearty, like the BHM EZTrainer?? Maybe later get something more exciting like the Lil' Satan.  I remember it being very quick and dont think that would be good for newbies picking up the handle.

Decisions .... decisions .... LOL!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:24:06 AM »
         Ray (Minisotamodeler) has some very nice models and some that are easy to build too. In the Black Hawk Models line The EZ Trainer is a good choice for a newbee or with a carved fuselage the Raven is very simple to build. Our 1/2A combat wings are very popular as they are simple, cheap, rugged and durable plus they are a lot of fun.
         There several models to choose from thanks to most manufactures producing at least a couple of 1/2a kits. The engines that you mentioned would not be the best choice for a stunt model but they would be fine on a sport or trainer model.
Larry

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 09:55:06 AM »
The American Boy from Blackhawk (replica of the Scientific design) goes together easily and flies well.  If assembled correctly, it should be pretty rugged too.  I fly mine on 38' lines, but I have a Space Bug in it, an equivalent to the Black Widow in power.  I think 30' with a Babe Bee would work well.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 04:49:11 AM »
I ordered the BHM Lil' Bat ..... came home last night and the box was at my door. Got them both put together, and tonight I'll start painting. Looks like they can handle some abuse too ...lol!

Should be flying them this weekend!   FlySafe!  Larry (Larrys4227)

BTW, is Brodak the only one selling new 049 engines? Just curious .... H^^

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 07:28:58 AM »
049's want a lot of attention, especially old ones.

Save yourself time and stress by running them on test stand before going out to the field and setting up to fly.  Thje first-time success rate on 1/2A engines is really low. 

You will look like a real pro if you go out the field with an engine that's already dialed in and start it on the first flip.
Paul Smith

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 01:08:31 PM »
049's want a lot of attention, especially old ones.

Save yourself time and stress by running them on test stand before going out to the field and setting up to fly.  Thje first-time success rate on 1/2A engines is really low. 

You will look like a real pro if you go out the field with an engine that's already dialed in and start it on the first flip.

I'll second that motion.  Learn your engine on the bench and then have more fun at the field.  I like to have the needle set and everything so that at the field I usually just fuel, flip, and fly.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 04:36:38 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  Yes, I've been running them on the test stand ... well, one of them anyway. I've been fooling around with the first one so much, that I haven't got to the second. Come to find out, theres a gasket missing in both engines ... I guess you'd call it the carb gasket. Fixed it in the first engine and now getting better engine runs on the bench.  The second one got the same, plus a new glow head. Luckily I had one and I'll run it in this week.

Planes are all painted and now ready for the bellcranks and hardware. Hope to fly them next weekend.  Really need to find one of those lantern size batteries in 1.5volts with the little screw connectors on top.

Will post some pics later ...

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 07:02:37 PM »
Larry,
Many of us just use two Alkaline "D" cell flash light batteries wired in parallel, they seem to last a long time and are cheaper and easier to find than the lantern size 1.5V.

Orv.

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 05:22:52 AM »
Thanks Orv -- I had been using a single D-cell and it seemed to drop off kinda quick. Hadn't thought about using 2.  I got 'em kicking around in a drawer, so maybe I'll try again.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »
Larry,
Get a head adapter for Nelson plugs, cuts the price of a replacement plug in half, if you can even find a Cox one these days.  And I think the concensus is better runs with the Nelson plug.

http://www.the-printer.net/DookCat.html#head

don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 02:19:02 PM »
I saw this type of conversion on another website somewhere. It was a purple anodized head that you could put a regular glow plug in.  Thought I had saved it into my favorites, but guess not ...

This one I have saved .... Thanks a bunch!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 07:20:58 AM »
Thanks Orv -- I had been using a single D-cell and it seemed to drop off kinda quick. Hadn't thought about using 2.  I got 'em kicking around in a drawer, so maybe I'll try again.

If two is good 6 is better.  I buy the bulk pack at Sams and tape and solder 6 D-cell in parallel.  I add a couple of banana jacks so that I can plug in one of several glowplug lead sets I have.  I built the last one 5 years ago and it still works. Is a bit big and bulky but the reliability it provides is worth it.  I did break down and buy a glow driver but it dosn't fit my cox 1/2As.  I always carry my 6 cell pack because glow drivers fail but my 6 cell pack has never let me down.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 05:23:58 AM »
Lil' Bats are all done, and last sunday I flew the blue one a few times.  Needs some work to de-sensitize the controls. All in all, though, not bad for 35 year old engines!

Fly Safe!  Larry (Larrys4227)

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 05:35:27 AM »
Very cool Larry!!  I am thinking about doing something similar with a production motor and balloon tank, may have cg issues. Your planes look very nice , is it Rusoleum? Did you make it through the whole tank on a flight?
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 05:42:09 AM »
Yup, they were painted with Rusto.  Took forever for it to dry though .... I waited a week between the last coat, and flying it. The planes are also a kind of test because I want to paint the fuse of my 38Special with Rusto. I didnt want the 38Special to be the 'first'.

I got through several complete flights .... tanks are really small though. About 1-2 minutes max depending on how much I had to fuss with the engine once started.

My biggest problems were the launch.  See my post on the Open Forum.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 08:24:19 AM »
The planes look great. May I post them on our web site under customer models?
If the plane is to sensitive you may want to add a little weight to the nose of the model. We felt that a Black Widow or Golden Bee would be used and with their larger tanks the CG would have been a little more forward.
I can send you a folder on how to launch 1/2A models.
Larry
Black Hawk Models
(562) 428-0820

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »
Lil' Bats are all done, and last sunday I flew the blue one a few times.  Needs some work to de-sensitize the controls. All in all, though, not bad for 35 year old engines!

Fly Safe!  Larry (Larrys4227)

Larry, once the model is balanced correctly, the easiest and quickest way to de-sensitize the controls is to use a handle with closer line spacing.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 03:09:53 PM »
The planes look great. May I post them on our web site under customer models?
If the plane is to sensitive you may want to add a little weight to the nose of the model. We felt that a Black Widow or Golden Bee would be used and with their larger tanks the CG would have been a little more forward.
I can send you a folder on how to launch 1/2A models.
Larry
Black Hawk Models
(562) 428-0820

Larry - Sure you can use the photos on your website .... no problem, as long as you dont mind my workbench as the background.  The CG on both planes is about 1" back from LE. I've moved the pushrod to the inside hole on the BC and down on the elevator horn.  The sensitivity wasn't too bad after that.  Might need more adjustment as I fly and get used to it.

Thanks!  Larry (Larrys4227)

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 08:50:36 AM »
How 'bout this one!

Ward  ::)

I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »
Hey Ward!  Yup, I saw that in an email ya sent me .... very cool! Sorry I didn't get back to ya on it .... kind of a family crisis the past couple days, but we're on the other side now.

Still planning to make it over to IRKS this weekend. Was thinking of bringing my 049 Lil' bats, as well as my FS's.

.... and thanks again for a great weekend at TBLF!  Was tons of fun!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here