News:

• May 22, 2024, 09:37:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox .049 needle and gasket  (Read 986 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Cox .049 needle and gasket
« on: June 20, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »
Hi there all.  I had just received a Cox Baby Bee engine, without a needle and had crock-potted it to clean.  I was assembling it and realized I needed to make a fuel line o-ring, and a tank to crankcase gasket.  What can one use to make the gasket, as what material to use?  Also where would one find a needle to use in it, used would work.  I have a Black Widow and a Baby Bee running already and will keep swapping if necessary, and if that would work.  Thanks all.

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
Re: Cox .049 needle and gasket
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 08:04:08 PM »
there is a thread on the rc universe 1/2a and 1/8a forum that addresses all of your cox questions
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 10:45:06 PM »
Fuel tube O-ring can be made from a slice of small fuel tubing. Crank case gasket can be made from a playing card. Needle from your other Cox will work, or ask in the classifieds section, lots of people still running Cox's and stashing parts.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 03:00:21 PM »
Amazing all those Cox parts dried up. Over half century of production and now these parts are hard to find. I sold a ton of cox engines and parts for peanuts, but did save alot for myself. I bet alot of this stuff winds up in a dumpster from some family menber that is clueless. Or ends up on ebay.
Dan

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »
thanks all for the help.  will do the playing card on the engine for now.  Thank you for the help.

Regards
Chancey

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 10:28:10 AM »
I've mentioned this before, but several months ago I assembled a cox "mix and match" engine using blue RTV instead of gaskets.  I first cleaned the engine thouroughly with denatured alcohol.  I then assembled the engine using the RTV instead of gaskets and then let it cure for about two weeks before putting fuel in the engine. I can't really remember how long ago I did this, but I know I had the engine on my Golden Hawk in June 07.  Several bench runs and several flights later its still running. I should also mention that it sometimes sits for several weeks in between runs. 
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 10:43:11 AM »
I make gaskets out of metal tape--both copper (my favorite) and aluminum (used for A/C ductwork). The metal is very soft in both tapes and will make a good seal. Here's how I make my gaskets.

1) Clean off the surface that the gasket will attach to. In case of the Cox Reed valve engine, this is the back of the crankcase. The cleaning is mainly to give the tape adhesive something to grab onto.
2) Simply cut out a small square of the tape
3) Stick it onto the surface in 1)
4) Rub it tight against the surface with your finger. You now will see the pattern that you will cut out.
5) With a sharp Exacto blade, cutout the inner section, and the holes where the bolts fit through--this is when you like the adhesive to hold tight!
6) Bolt the two pieces together.
7) Now cut off the outside border of the gasket flush with Exacto blade.

I like the copper tape because the adhesive is very thin. The Aluminum tape adhesive is somewhat thicker and "goopier". I think when you tighten up the bolts, this thicker adhesive will get squeezed out (you really don't need/want it at this point. Its main job was to hold the tape piece on in step 5). Anyway it has worked well for me.

I also (actually mainly) use this method to seal muffler to exhaust ports on larger glow engines and the seal works well there.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here