News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:04:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Converting from Cox glowheads.  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Converting from Cox glowheads.
« on: February 04, 2012, 03:48:32 AM »
Thought I should make a new post for this one. I have had a lot of success with both the Galbreath and Merlin replacements for the standard Cox 0.49s. I note that conversions are also available for the Cox 0.2 engines, from both Mattes Engine Works and Doug Galbreath. So my query is.....what about the TD 0.1  and TD 0.9? I expect the chances of engineering anything for the TD 0.1 is virtually impossible due to size (thank goodness I have a dozen 0.1  heads in stock! I don't think they are available anywhere? The TD 0.9 is another matter and this should be a straightforward conversion. Does anyone do this conversion, or is it a matter of machining something up yourself? My lathe is still in bits, so I hope that such a conversion is available. Mind you I think that the 0.9 heads are available at the moment, I must check up on that.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Converting from Cox glowheads.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »
See below for .01 glow heads.

http://coxengines.ca/home.php?cat=2
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 12:47:33 PM »
MECOA offers most of the Cox plug conversion heads. Look on their site under "Cox Parts".

I'm sure you know already that any anodized head will not conduct current, but a quick sand paper rub across the top should fix that.

Of course any igniter that clamps directly to the plug works, with no sanding required.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:06:58 PM by Bill Adair »
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 06:08:43 AM »
Thanks Bill,
I have ot been on the MECOA site for a while. The last time I was there, the Cox conversion heads were all of the type taking standard glowpluugs. That is a definite no for me, because of the very poor performance of the heads due to low compression.
Thinkong about it, the 0.9 is likely to suffer least from that problem, so it may be worth a try, I must have a look at the site, you never know, they may have the Nelson/turbo plug heads by now.

Thanks,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 02:39:30 PM »
I think the .09 conversion heads should be quite acceptable, and Cox even made one when they made the Queen Bee engine.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 03:58:21 AM »
Well that is a surprise! I never knew the Queen Bee came with a standard glowplug head! So fears of low compression are unfounded, that is nice to know! I am a bit of a fan of the Nelson plugs in Cox engines. I have 5 engines with the Nelson plug and Galbreath head and so far the Nelson plugs seem indestructible. I have lost count of the amount of time each engine has. If I had been using Cox heads I would be on my second or third head by now! The Estes heads seemed to be even worse. I stocked up on heads when Estes was selling stuff cheaply. Even at the low price I paid, the Estes heads were NOT a bargain!
Jim Thomerson PMed me and said that he had an 0.9 head machined to take a Nelson plug ........and what was my address? Not trying to embarrass Jim, just thanking him publicly, so helpful and a real gentleman.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here