News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:45:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combat Kitten 1st (day) Flight Report  (Read 911 times)

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Combat Kitten 1st (day) Flight Report
« on: May 03, 2011, 03:27:12 PM »
If you have read my previous post "1st build in 40 yrs"  here's the flight report.  Too squirrelly (sp?) on the controls, but the first attempt at flight I ran the tank dry although it was luck I didn't crash.  After that I couldn't get the wing to fly as the Black Widow engine I had broken in just wouldn't "scream".  It seemed as if it just didn't have enough power.  The wing would flounder and stall (ugly stall too) then nose in.  Then it happened-  the BW hit the sweet spot in flight somehow and the Kitten just took off... flat and fast... very fast.  Then when my brother in law ran over to pick up the wing after the 1st real flight his sunglasses fell off his head and punched a nice hole in the outboard panel.  Oh well, guess I have my first lesson in repair coming up, as well as some reading to do on how to get these Cox engines to run at constant high rpms without fluctuation.

The morning was cool and dead calm.  Covered in Castor oil, and smelling like fuel.  Took me back.  What a blast.  Still grinning.
Wilder Eber

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Combat Kitten 1st (day) Flight Report
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
Congrats on the flight!  Like riding a bicycle, yes?  What is the ratio of your handle spacing to bellcrank size?  It shouldn't be over about 1.25:1 or your model WILL be squirely.  Look at the "Ultimate 1/2A Handle" from rsmdistribution.com .  It was designed especially to tame 1/2A models.

Cox engines are indeed finicky.  Your first runs may have been clearing out old, congealed oil in the crankcase.  For best results with the Black Widow, use a minimum of 15% Nitro and 20% oil, at least half castor (Cox used 18% all castor, but you get varnish buildup with that fuel mix).  Prop should at most be a 6x3, a Cox 5x3 is better.  Ground rpm minimum 14K.  Overload means overheat!  H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:22:55 PM »
Check your balance point, it may be to far aft and will require adding a small weight under the nose section.

Larry

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:46:30 PM »
@LR1 and LR2...thank you for the tips.  Above concerns have been addressed and will I report further results as soon as the falling sunglasses hole in the wing is repaired.  The folks on this site never fail to impress in their willingness and outright eagerness to help others get it right and solve the problem.  Cheers     ;D
Wilder Eber

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
Hey Augs hows bout them stencils ;)

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »
Jamie... you unknowingly gave me a nice project to do and I haven't been putting you off.  I'm cutting out the pieces and labeling them, then copying on my copy machine so that if I decide to scratch build I'll have the stencils.  I still have to compare your parts list with a complete list, although I'll probably just send you the whole set of stencils when I'm done.  Hang in there, I've have it coming your way.  Cheers...
Wilder Eber

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »
Hey Augs its quite ok. Im in no rush. I have lots goin here.

A complete list will more than liekyl be jsut what I need!

THanks for the update but I wasnt worried. We all have lives here!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »
Glad to hear it is flying.   Next time have some packing tape for those people that carry things in their pockets.  It makes for great field repairs. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here