News:

• May 06, 2024, 08:54:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Checking oil content of fuel  (Read 1153 times)

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Checking oil content of fuel
« on: July 09, 2009, 11:59:11 PM »
In a past thread, someone suggested measuring out a small quantity of fuel and letting the Methanol and Nitro evaporate to measure the remaining oil content.  I tried that, and the dang stuff just sits there for days with no reduction in volume.  I am reluctant to heat it to hasten the process.  Has anybody else had success/failure in attempting this?

The reason for this is to find out how much oil is in some 30% Nitro car fuel, the only high Nitro stuff I can find.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Checking oil content of fuel
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 09:30:58 AM »
Use your hot air gun to heat it.  Suggest doing it outdoors tho.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:22:30 AM »
Having recently done this.  The methanol will boil off first, and if you use a graduated cylinder, it can shotgun the fuel when the methanol boils.  Guess how I learned this. :)

So use a wide, shallow container to get the methanol and some of the nitro out.  Then put back into graduated cylinder and keep warm until the volume doesn't change.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »
Hey Pinecone, knowing you're occupation ... If I remember correctly from another thread ... You tried this?

just kidding

Wouldn't weighing a known volume of fuel give some indication of contents?
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 07:34:56 PM »
Larry,

I evaporated some samples, but may have left them longer than overnight, and possibly as long as a week. That was many years ago, when I was working long hours, and many weekends. The days just seemed to run together after a while.  HB~>

I've also had good results by burning the samples with Castor content. Tried burning some mostly synthetic oil fuels, but the samples flared up, and splattered burning fuel outside the containers! I'm not sure what caused that, but thought at the time that the synthetic oil had ignited.

The muffin tin that I used, was just about ideal for the evaporation testing method, exposing a lot of surface to the atmosphere.

Bill

Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Pinecone

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »
Hey Pinecone, knowing you're occupation ... If I remember correctly from another thread ... You tried this?

just kidding

Wouldn't weighing a known volume of fuel give some indication of contents?

Of course, the standard disclaimer of don't try this at home, I am a trained professional.... :)

You, because of the mixture, it would be hard to figure out the % of three different materials.  Not impossible, but too many variables.  If you had 0% nitro fuel, it would be doable.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Pinecone

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 01:52:17 PM »
The muffin tin that I used, was just about ideal for the evaporation testing method, exposing a lot of surface to the atmosphere.

From my testing, without heating, it will be difficult to get all the nitro out.  The boiling point is 100 - 103C.  And the vapor pressure at 27.5C is only 40mm Hg.

But you are right, large surface area is good.  And if heating allows boling without launching the contents. :)

I ended up using a small metal cup that I picked up for mixing paint.  I think they are used for condiments.  I found a 4 pack at Target for about $1.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 07:07:14 AM »
because of the mixture, it would be hard to figure out the % of three different materials.  Not impossible, but too many variables.  If you had 0% nitro fuel, it would be doable.

What if you assume the stated Nitro %age, and try calculate what's left based on that assumption?  Also, do you have to know the specific oil or are all of them fairly close in density?

One other note:  I sometimes use an old gallon of fuel (VERY old) as a cleaning solution in an ultrasonic cleaner - I do notice that if allowed to sit after using it, the cleaning solution (fuel) seems to reduce to the oil fairly quickly -- like a couple of days.  If I just allow of small amount of fuel to sit in a jar, it seems as though it is a couple of weeks at least and still more like fuel than oil.  Maybe a small ultrasonic cleaner would hasten the evaporation more safely than heating it.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Pinecone

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 11:47:18 AM »
But if you are trying to figure out if that fuel company blends to a weight percentage, their nitro content would also be off.

And yes, different oils have different densities.

The methanol evaporates very quickly.  Nitro less quickly.  Large surface area, with lower sidewalls, makes thing evaporate quicker.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:27:44 PM »
Much safer and easier to buy fuel you trust.  H^^

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:25:13 PM »

George

Well safer but not necessarily easier - Larry's original post was in reference to some
"car fuel" - the only high nitro stuff he could find.  Around here, Sig fuel is the
standard for us, and the LHS always has a pretty good supply, but the last couple
of months he has been back-ordered by Sig - so that leaves us with the various
RC Kool-Ade flavors until Sig starts shipping again.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Pinecone

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »

George

True, but I was trying to prove or disprove some statements made by people, such as in this thread, about certain fuels not being accurately reported as to oil content my volume. :)
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 07:59:35 PM »
If you add enough water to fuel, the oil should come out of solution and be easily measured.

I'm very sceptical about fuel absorbing water from the atmosphere.  I think what happens with exposed fuel is that the methanol evaporates.  In one of your open fuel experiments, it would be instructional to do it on a scale and see what happens to the weight. If the fuel absorbs water, the weight should go up.  If methanol is evaporating, the weight should go down. 

Offline Pinecone

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 12:18:24 PM »
But what about the nitro? :)

Methanol WILL absorb water out of the air.  Methanol will also evaporate pretty quickly if left open with a reasonable surface area.   In a can/jub, I would suspect taht at room temp, it would absorb water.  In teh sun at teh field or in a pail, it would evaporate more.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here