News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:43:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Canard--just for fun  (Read 5560 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Canard--just for fun
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:35:34 PM »
Here's a coupla pix of my current project, a canard.  Made from an old combat wing and the scrap box.  No pusher, no pod; engine up front where an engine should be.  Trike gear planned, main wheels mounted on lower corner of booms, nose wheel under the engine.  CG is a wild guess, my sole previous experiment with a canard type layout demonstrated the need for a 'way forward CG, in relation to the wing.  I'm guessing an inch or 2 ahead of the LE.  I'll D-tube the wing with 1/32" sheet balsa for a little more rigidity.  Just gotta remember as I'm hooking up the controls: "Up is down; down is up."
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Canard--just for fun
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 07:19:49 PM »
If you're not scared of a bit of math, this page will help you put your CG in the ballpark:

http://www.zenithair.com/kit-data/ht-90-4.html

C/L planes seem to want a pretty far-forward CG, but not as far as you're going to get!  I'm guessing that before you're done you will wish that you had notched the horizontal stabilizer significantly, to set the motor back as far as possible.

Let us know how it comes out!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 08:44:54 AM »
There was a 1/2A canard in one of the model magazines years ago.  I think it was actually three different designs,  maybe regular, flying wing and canard, all using a wing similar to yours.  The engine was on a pod behind the canard, with two booms for the canard.  I did a little looking at canards years ago.  I think your CG will need to be a little in front of the LE of the wing, but not much.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 12:16:42 PM »
Here's a coupla pix of my current project, a canard.
If you have older Flying Models magazines, see if you can find the copy with the Sarpoulis "Wild Goose" -- that one puts the engine right in front of the leading edge of the wing, with the canard on booms.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 12:49:56 PM »
Are you planning to have landing gear ?  Trycycle gear might help balance it ?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 01:15:52 PM »
I built the Wild Goose.  Called mine the Blue Goose because of the color.  The engine and tank are ahead of the leading edge.  Balance is about 2 inches in front of leading edge and is a little quick on controls.  Have cut down the movement on the main wing moving surfaces.  Have also moved the leadouts forward a little.  Whn engine is set right it will fly a pattern.  It is different to look at and fly.  May take pictures later.   H^^

Well you asked for it even tho it is not  a 1/2A.  This one a LA 40 for power. D>K
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:56:14 PM by john e. holliday »
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 04:01:52 PM »
Yes, Jim, trike gear planned, main wheels under the rear of booms, nose wheel under the engine or a little further back. 

My first canard was a "pod"-type engine mount, first with the engine over the LE--way too tailheavy; rebuilt the pod to move the engine out about 3", still req'd noseweight to make it flyable. In short, it was a bust, and in fact that was its end--all busted.  I have an "after" pic somewhere, it's not pretty. 

I'm thinking CG about 2" in front of the LE oughtta be close. Tim, I will check the math to see how close it comes, thanks for the link.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 10:13:05 AM »
It seems to me that Bob Hunt has a 1/2A Canard with forward sweep in the rear wing.  He said it flew fantastic.  Old Model Aviations had a photo of it in his lead-off editorial column for a while.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 04:13:05 PM »
That's an interesting thought...gets the c/l forward a little more.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 07:48:29 PM »
So which control surface controls planes attitude. Those are both nice looking designs. Doc, thats the best looking wild goose i've ever seen.
AMA 874027

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 07:57:11 PM »
From what I recall, the Wild Goose worked about equally badly with the flaps going in either direction.  Fixed seemed to be the best!  Tom Lay built TWO of the replica models that were flown at the Nationals ( Sorry, don't recall the name or designer) and had terrible performance with them.  On the other hand, John Wright has a 1/2A "Wrong Way Corrigan" that seems to have been OK.  I suspect that canards can be made to work, but need the 10's of 1000's of hours of development that conventional designs have had to get it right.

Me, I am into forward swept flying wings.....  #^

DesignMan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 07:38:51 AM »
So which control surface controls planes attitude. Those are both nice looking designs. Doc, thats the best looking wild goose i've ever seen.

The forward moving surface does the work.  The flaps on the wing I think could be made solid and help a lot.  I reality I did cut the movement down on both moving surfaces.  Have the tallest horn I can find on both.  I built it originally because some people stated canards can't do the pattern.  I have witnesses that have seen me do it when I am on.  It just looks strange on the end of the lines.  Instead of rotating like a conventional stunt plane it just pitches up or down.  It is a fun plane to fly and get attention. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 11:49:21 AM »
It seems to me that Bob Hunt has a 1/2A Canard with forward sweep in the rear wing.  He said it flew fantastic.  Old Model Aviations had a photo of it in his lead-off editorial column for a while.

That was his Occam's Razor. He made a half A and a larger one (.40?). Last he mentioned it he was converting the 1/2A one to electric I believe. I think one of the design highlights was to have the tank near the balance point so balance would not change during flight.

I think he had a 1/2A one before that called the Klingon.

Perhaps Bob will run across this and enlighten us.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 08:15:01 PM »
My first attempt at a canard, a few years ago, used an elevator at the front and flaps at the back. After the first flight (wild!) I unhooked the back wingflaps and fixed them in place.  It helped a lot.  This one will have elevator-only, in the front.

Progress is slow but steady.  I'll post some more pix soon.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »
As promised, more pics, nearly ready to cover.

28" span, 170 sq. in. MOL, 6 oz. as she sits.  Balance is a little forward but I think the wing finish will pull it back into an OK range.  I intend it to be a little noseheavy for the maiden flight!
--Ray 
AMA902472

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 09:29:38 AM »
Ummmm, where's the fuel tank go?  Otherwise, a very interesting model.  Can't wait for the flight reports!

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
Fuel tank...fuel tank...rats, I knew I forgot something! 

The tank will sit atop the stab, which will just about center it on the venturi (stab is mounted low, in line with the bottom MM beam--see bottom pic).  haven't installed rubber-band hooks yet; I may use some industrial-strength velcro I have laying around instead.

Still need tip braces, and a hook at the rear for a stooge; and a decision on a cheek tripler--I'm leaning toward not using one.  Plenty stiff without it, and I don't need the weight up front.

Now what I need is a really funky name.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Lionel Smith

• New Pilot
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 10:10:12 PM »
Do you know why they call them canards?

Cos they "can ardly fly"  LL~

Now there is a name for your plane.

Lionel
Forever learning to keep the pointy end away from the ground!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 08:20:20 AM »
Well the Wright Brothers made them fly. n1
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 08:49:50 AM »
Well the Wright Brothers made them fly. n1
And they were incrediblly lucky they didn't kill themselves.  That 1903 design has proven to be almost unflyable.  A movie made about them used a close replica with extra empenage added at the tail for stablilty so the pilots could survive.  The add-ons were painted black so they wouldn't show up in the movies (this was way before digital editing).

Not to say canards can't fly, Burt Rutan's designs come to mind.

I think the "Canardly" is neat looking!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 09:26:38 AM »
There also are some very successful canard fighters in the modern world. The question I think is can the canard design be made to have both enough instability to perform and still remain controllable with just our controls. Or does a high tech compter have to control it ?

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »
Just about any aircraft configuration can be made stable or not by correct CG placement and control sensitivities.  The X-29 forward swept, canard aircraft was made purposely unstable to test the computer control systems, but I have photos of a perfectly good, stable flying X-29 scale slope model.  It showed up in a few magazines, and I have seen it fly up close and personal. 

I understand that the F-117 Stealth fighter is trimmed to be inherantly unstable, but the first tests were with an R/C model that flew just fine.  And!!! The model was designed and built by Stunt's very own Bob Palmer.  I had the good fortune to hear the story from his own lips.

DesignMan

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 01:58:43 PM »
Full size stuff is made statically unstable to get the extreme manuverablity.  Homo Sapiens crania is just not fast enough to deal with that kind of instability.  Computers work just fine.  BTW those digitally controlled thingys usually have quad-redundant systems just in case there's an electronic glitch or two or three!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 02:26:45 PM »
While i did not work on it I did have those thoughts when I made my post. The point being that out c/l aerobatics have to work for our slow response times on the end of a 60 ft line. Canard design like the varieze can use it's format to improve flight stability. Thought we are looking for planes that might be more unstable for PA. It might make a good trainer for those starting off.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »
All very interesting comments.  Seems to me there was a WWI fighter that had a vicious tendency to flat-spin, pilots had to fight it constantly...one enterprising pilot began using the spin to shake a pursuer off his tail.  Asked how to recover from it, he said "center all controls and pray like h---!"  Worked for him.

The Wright bros.' 2nd or 3rd flyer actually handled very well from what I've read of it. They produced it commercially anyhow.

"Can'ardly"...not bad.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 10:31:39 PM »
The Wrights actually built/designed in reaction to the kind of accidents which killed Lillienthal and Pilcher: gust upsets of planes controlled by weight shift and subject to the vagaries of relative wind. They deliberately made their "Flyer" control oriented, rather than auto stable. They wanted laterally and longitudinally  (really regarding all three axes) to control the plane's motions and attitudes. While they anhedralled the wings to direct the plane into, rather than out of side gusts when near the ground,  they wanted to be able to overcome upsets by their own will and skills. So they carefully taught themselves to pilot an unstable plane. They overdid it in the 1904 plane and corrected for that. Remember though that their invention relates to aircraft control, and it was to that end that they designed their plane. At a time when the rest of the world's aviators were just "hopping" with insufficient control, they were flying  round and round Huffman Prairie for times approaching an hour. They had a much more sophisticated knowledge of flight dynamics than most realize, having approached the flight problem very scientifically and methodically, inventing (e.g. the aircraft propeller) along the way. They were aware of stalling phenomena and the forward "rudder" (canard surface), too. They just needed to know about Reynolds numbers, which came later. See their complete note books on the internet, or examples in the archives of the two most active CL forums.

Canards are fun, and I'm always happy to see anyone giving them a try. Don't expect them to match stunt or glide performance of conventional aft-tail planes though, unless they are part of a three-surface configuration. The a.c. and necessary static margin (as well as interference) don't allow the main wing to use it's entire lift potential. There's some good info in the archives, despite the crash. Try also Stanford Aero and  - maybe - NASA (Rutan). Some fairly recent papers/articles (1980 and later) have addressed this.

I like your project and would like Bob Hunt to let us in further on his results with his own configuration. There's a lot to be learned from the unconventional, and winning stunt contests isn't everything (OMG!).

SK

Willis Swindell

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 10:22:34 AM »
Wish you luck. I built a bunch of the Canard’s and could not get them to fly very well. I have given up for now . I did see one fly great in 1953 at a contest in Norfolk Va.
Willis

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 11:04:36 AM »
I would guess that they don't do well with figure nines.  ;D  8)  ::)

Probably canardly make it through them (devil made me say that)...

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »
The mid-engine configurations do look a little vulnerable (my first one, a few yrs. ago, included).  I'm hoping the "engine-forward" (apologies to Chrysler) layout will work somewhat better. 
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Lionel Smith

• New Pilot
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »
Ok after posting the canard'ly joke I must say that I did make a canard when I was at school, it had two .049's on it in a push-pull configuration and I had a ton of fun with it it was stable and I could do a wing over and loop with it so yes they do fly.

Lionel.
Forever learning to keep the pointy end away from the ground!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 05:00:39 PM »
So when do we see pictures of it in the air!
AMA 64232

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 09:57:10 PM »
I have the wing covered and added a rudder, as much for tail weight as anything, but it looks better I think.  Still need to finish the MM and LO guide (highly adjustable, just in cases), then paint.  A little ways away from flight tests.

I believe I'll go with a Norvel .049 since my TeeDee has a crack at the back of the venturi.

I bent the nose LG leg backward, to improve the AoA on ground, and get it a little closer to the CG (and move a little weight back while I'm at it).  Still tinkering.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 08:01:47 AM »
You can fix the plastic venturi holder by wrapping it with a couple of turns of wire and sealing the crack with JB-weld.  Or just get a new one from Xenalook (see their advert in this forum)

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 08:22:35 AM »
Thanks Larry, I was considering JB weld, I've repaired cracks in metal cases with it--wire reinforcement sounds useful too.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 09:14:59 AM »
How is the canard coming?  Flight reports?

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »
Hey c'mon Larry, I been working on some kits dontcha know...

the "Can'ardly" is covered, rudder added, I'll try to post some updated pix.  Not much progress from last report, still needs MM finished, LO guides installed, paint.

Hmmm, maybe I'll put a Holland Hornet on it...

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 12:09:45 AM »
If it is under 150 sq.in. the Holland will be a handfull!  Then again, what is my point?  #^

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 08:19:22 AM »
as it happens, it's 27.5" span, 6" chord, between 160-165 squares.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 08:58:55 AM »
Go for it, Tiger!   >:D

DesignMan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2010, 06:55:10 PM »
Hey Larry, my fault as he had to take time to make one fabulous kit for me.  Have the wings done and fuse almost in place.  I screwed up and hinged the elevator before looking at the fuse.  No problem as I have it figured out already.  May change tank area also.  Taking pictures as I go.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 07:06:10 PM »
John, not your fault, I am just finishing two kits for Larry!  that's the "inside joke" to these posts...

--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 03:15:30 PM »
OK kits are done, Can'ardly back on the workbench...adjustable leadouts installed.  Heres pix if I can get them on here...(new computer, still figuring out the nuances...)  My trusty Norvel .049 rubberbanded to the nose for effect.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 03:17:35 PM »
Annnndddd...here's the leadout setup; just a slot thru the sandwiched-ply. boom, with a blind nut (sans barbs) on the backside.

right now the CG is about 2.5" ahead of the LE, probably somewhat noseheavy, much preferable to the alternative, of which I have had some experience....  Leadouts adjustable rearwards, since I may be moving the CG back considerably during trimming flights and the LOs must follow.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »
How 'bout a profile shot, to show off the landing gear?
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 06:58:29 AM »
FWIW...The Wild Goose was designed by Dick Sarpolus!

w.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2010, 11:25:22 PM »
Were I you, I would ditch the "kinky" pushrod and install a straight one.  The forces will work out the same, but the flexing will be way less!  The force vectors haven't a clue what goes on between the pivot points, but the wire sure does.  Lighter weight, too.

Otherwise a really cool plane!

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2010, 08:10:48 AM »
Good observation Larry, ordinarily I would agree with you, but in this case the kink is necessary to clear the elevator TE, since the pushrod comes from the rear rather than the front as is conventional.  A straight rod would limit the amount of "up" elevator (in this case, "down" effect)--it might in fact leave enough movement but I don't know that yet, wanted all I could get for the first flight just in case I need it (notice also the Very Tall Horn, in case I need much less!).  I used heavier wire than normal, and it is of course much shorter than a conventional setup...there's no flex in it to speak of.  After trimming flights I may change it out depending on how much clearance it finally needs.

Plane is now masked and in primer; progress is being made.  Humidity is about 110% however, so the primer is staying soft! I had to bring it in the house (I paint in the garage) into dehumidified air to (hopefully) cure it out.  Wife isn't real pleased with the fumes but hey, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do...
--Ray 
AMA902472

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2010, 08:48:34 AM »
Yes, I see your point, but then again you could just cut a notch in the elevator.  The area loss would be negligible.

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2010, 11:16:02 AM »
Yup, that is another approach, that would work. Just about as well as a kink in the pushrod...

Seriously, and more to the point, if I were to build another one I'd re-think the control arrangement; probably use a horn soldered to the splice wire in the center, like we do with our stunt ship wing flaps.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2010, 10:40:28 PM »
I await flight tests!  If it turns out to be noseheavy, you could go to a forward swept canard to move its area ahead of the engine.  Also, area outside the booms might help, they need not be, and probably should not be, moveable.  In fact that could be one of the trim tactics to use, depending on how this model flies.

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here