News:

• May 09, 2024, 07:51:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Broken lugs on a Black Widow back plate  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Broken lugs on a Black Widow back plate
« on: March 30, 2008, 01:37:47 PM »
I have a Black Widow with about an hour on it that I'd like to resurect. Problem is the plastic back plate has two broken lugs. I understand that these were made with metal, and plastic backplates. Most folks offering new parts have plastic backplate. Question...Will the metal back plates from other Cox engines fit the BW? Or does anyone have a metal one the'd be willing to part with?

Ward
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
Re: Broken lugs on a Black Widow back plate
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »
Ward,

I sent a couple of backplates to Ray Stone (minnesotamodeler) a while back and I believe they worked OK for him.  I think the venturi diameter is a little larger in the black widow than in the "Bees" but I'm sure someone else here will chime in with the answer to that.  Your best bet may be buying an old engine for parts and cleaning it up.  I've found that after soaking in solvent, the spraybar could be unplugged by using a fine needled syringe such as the one us diabetics use for injections of insulin.  The needle can be cleaned by wiping with solvent.

Another thing you may try is mounting it to any number of backplates from Cox productions engines and use an external tank.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 04:23:08 PM »
The old metal backplates fit the newer BWs fine (thank you, Tom)--also the production backplates, no tank of course.  You're better off with an external tank anyhow.

I have a boatload of backplates with lugs broken off.  One with the crankcase screws pulled through.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:07:02 AM »
MM,

By "production backplates" are you guys referring to the backplates used on the motors used in the PT-19's etc.? I have a couple of those floating around...

Ward-0  ???
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:15:30 AM »
All the "modern" reed valve Cox engine parts (at least Babe Bee on) are completely interchangeable. Just need to watch out for where the fill holes are on the tank or backplate. I think what you are asking is the production backplate which also includes the reed valve and venturi. Yes if you take off the integral tank, you can use this backplate and an external tank. The only thing to watch for is that the total package is now shorter (I know that is obvious) so the balance of a plane setup for the integral tank version probably would be tail heavy.
Also as someone mentioned, the venturi may be smaller diameter on some of the integral tanks. Larry Renger posted how to hop up a Cox Black Widow (I think) over on SSW, and gives more details like venturi diameters.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 10:06:55 AM »
Production backplate, stripped for easier mounting.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here