News:

• May 23, 2024, 12:54:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak .061  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Brodak .061
« on: April 15, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »
I didn't want to further hijack the current thread, so a new one!

Has ANYBODY used a Brodak .061?? And if so, how does it compare to comparable size engines (Norvel .061, Wasp .061) ?
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak .061
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »
Hi Bill,
We have a new one, MKII,  in the club.
"IF" we ever get around to it we intend to compare it, via flying it, in a Brodak Baby Clown that now has a Norvel .061.
Will let you know the results.
Roger V.

Caution: Not sure when it will be done as Retirees never seem to have enough time to do the things they want to do. You are destined to discover this in your retirement! LL~

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:57:20 AM by Roger Vizioli »
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 05:30:26 PM »
Aint that the truth. However; I do alot more of what I want to do than I did when I was working. I still get up at 5am, not because I have to, but because I have stuff I want to do. If anyone ever enjoyed retirement, its me. First time in my life I have not had to be some where since I was four years old and started kindergarten. #^
Jim Kraft

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 05:31:21 AM »
Jim,
Agree, and I still get up before 6am.
Have seen too many that retire, sleep in every day, loaf around and then pass away before their time.
Have "another" great day!  H^^
Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 07:42:16 AM »
I had a co worker, Ted S., who also taught blue print reading at night school, retired.

After retirement Ted would sit in front of his CB Radio all day talking to other CB'rs.  His wife came home one day, 9 months after his retirement, and he was talking on his CB.  After a few minutes she realized she was only hearing one side of the conversation.  The CB radio was not turned on!!!

The Doctors said his brain was used to working and when he quit totally it overloaded and effectively blew it fuses. 

Do not quit thinking when you retire.  Keep your mind active.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »
My mind works 24-7 trying to figure out how to fix the latest screwup on the plane I am building or finishing.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 10:50:45 PM »
Hi Bill,
We have a new one, MKII,  in the club.
"IF" we ever get around to it we intend to compare it, via flying it, in a Brodak Baby Clown that now has a Norvel .061.
Will let you know the results.
Roger V.

Caution: Not sure when it will be done as Retirees never seem to have enough time to do the things they want to do. You are destined to discover this in your retirement! LL~

Hi Roger,

If such is the case, I will NOT be disappointed! 
Oh, yeah, I am working a pit crew this weekend for the return of raacing to the NCMS (The Rock!). 

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 03:32:10 PM »
          I currently am using a Brodak .061. I took the advice and drilled out the threads in the head to install a head button glow plug from a ASP.061. This gave me a bit of rpm boost and easier starts as well. I found it starts much easier without the muffler. The instructions call for a low nitro fuel 10 % and not to go too high with the nitro. I found it works using 35%. Its hard to draw a comparison between a Norvel and a Brodak. These are entirely two different engines. The Norvel Big Mig makes a lot of power and the AME makes considerably more. The instructions claim 12,000-17,000, but it doesn't state on which particular prop. Norvel engines are a bit higher than this usually in the 19-20+ k spectrum but typically using small low pitched props. I'm using a white 5x4 Tornado on mine but I don't have rpm's to date. If you have large hands like myself I would insist that you extend the needle somehow. I've used as large as a 6x4 but the instructions claim 7x3 is the largest. In my honest opinion, I'd keep the props on the smaller side just to avoid heat. Now that i've learned the starting sequence of this motor it starts pretty quick. I struggled for quite some time due to the constant flooding I was giving it because of over choking. I watch the fuel line now until the fuel is very near or just to the needle and give it a small squirt in the venturi and a few flips. This engine shouldn't be confused with a hot rod but a real mild mannered engine. Mine hasn't skipped a beat in the outside of a square or the top of a overhead eight very steady. I'm considering trying the muffler once again using a pressure tap for muffler pressure. My tank on this plane is glued in place using small balsa blocks so canting the rear of the tank isn't an option here. I was wondering if muffler pressure would cure this. The plane I'm using is pretty much the same size a the Brodak Baby Clown. I would say mine is on the heavy side due to considerable repairs and heavy balsa.   Ken Cook

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 06:59:16 AM »
            Larry  Renger ,  does the Nelson head also fit on the Brodak .061 ?
      We both know how well it works on the .049 .   
                   Bill
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:28:39 AM by Bill Barber »
AMA 325076

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 02:27:32 PM »
Sho' do, brudder!  #^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here