News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BRODAK 061 ANYBODY???  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Vincent Corwell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
BRODAK 061 ANYBODY???
« on: February 02, 2007, 04:01:53 AM »
Hi Friends

Anybody using a Brodak 061 please?

need quick review please?

Vincent

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: BRODAK 061 ANYBODY???
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:58:10 AM »
Yes, anyone?  Would really like to know how they work, and how they compare to others, like the Norvel .061.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 04:10:26 PM »
Ya gonna just have to buy one and try it out for the rest of us.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 04:14:25 PM »
Ya gonna just have to buy one and try it out for the rest of us.

Hi Ray,

In my case, that means selling something to buy one! **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 04:20:31 PM »
Well, that's my predicament as well.  With the import problems of the Norvels, it would be nice to have a good domestic replacement that would equal it.  But I hafta wait until I actually need a new engine to buy one of the Brodaks.  And I can't seem to wear out any of the Norvels!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 04:31:54 PM »
I have two (or is it three??) of the Norvel .061s.  One I bought brand new, rest were used, but it doesn't seem to matter!  They are long living little buggers.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 04:38:19 PM »
Put a Galbreath head and Nelson plug on 'em and you'll never blow another plug, either.  Plus adding a few hundred rpms.

Of the Norvels, I have 2 .061s and 2 --or 3, I'm as bad as you--.049s.  2 VA .049s that really go, and a Brodak Mk 1 .049 that I've never run.  Plus a couple of Black Widows, and half a dozen Cox production .049s.  Too many engines, I can't run them all.  Can't quite justify buying a new Brodak .061! At least to wifey. 

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline ken cook

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 03:07:16 PM »
  I just received one recently.I like the fact it uses standard plugs.It can run on 10% 50/50.I'm sure its not like my Norvels.I love those little engines.I have my Brodak on a test stand currently waiting for a few run in tests.Its been too cold lately to go outside.I'm real curious to see what kind of performance it provides.If all proves well,I was going to mount a pair on the F-82 mustang twin from Brodak.I built one last year using 2 black widows.It was an awesome flyer.Unfortunately,it encountered a gravity surge.        Ken

Offline Peter Hess

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 07:57:37 PM »
  I just received one recently.I like the fact it uses standard plugs.It can run on 10% 50/50.I'm sure its not like my Norvels.I love those little engines.I have my Brodak on a test stand currently waiting for a few run in tests.Its been too cold lately to go outside.I'm real curious to see what kind of performance it provides.If all proves well,I was going to mount a pair on the F-82 mustang twin from Brodak.I built one last year using 2 black widows.It was an awesome flyer.Unfortunately,it encountered a gravity surge.        Ken

Ken:
Have you had a chance to run in your Brodak .061?  If so, there are a lot of folks who would welcome your observations.  Thank in advance for any information you might have to share.
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
AMA 485070

Offline ken cook

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 06:48:53 PM »
             Pete, I will be running the engine this weekend 4/28. I should be able to have tach readings as well. The weather just broke last weekend here in Pennsylvania. I typically have a 6 day working week so saturday was out. I really missed out on a nice day. My son and I sure made up for it Sunday. We dedicated 2/3 of the day to 1/2 a flying. We had a blast. The plane I'm using the .061 in is a Veco Baby Tomahawk. Plane is ready to go using Powermaster 22% with a black 5 1/4-4 Tornado prop. I'm excited as everyone else to see the results.       Ken Cook

Offline Peter Hess

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 10:23:36 AM »
Ken:
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my inquiry.  Good luck with your tests on the Baby Tomahawk.  I hope that the weather cooperates with you.
If you could, it would also be interesting to hear some further details such as the size and weight of the plane, line length, etc.  I am sure that your information will be of interest and helpful to a lot of folks.
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
AMA 485070

Offline ken cook

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 05:59:30 AM »
       Pete, I ran the .061 for the first time yesterday. Today I will be flying. I found the engine to be a little troublesome to start initially. I either had it too rich or way too lean. I'm going to chalk this up to being a new engine. The instructions say to check the glow plug and head. In my case both were slightly loose. I was choking the engine with my finger over the venturi. I haven't quite mastered  the  starting sequence on this one. While flipping , it does change sound distinctively to let you know its primed. I found this to be very useful. I flooded it more than once. I had a bit of vibration as well. I figured this would smooth out after a few runs. I'm using a Dave Brown mount. I had to pack it off the firewall with some washers to enable clearance for the muffler. I'm pretty sure this is causing the vibe problems. My tank set up is standard vent with bottom pipe capped and top into the wind. This was the setup I had with the Norvel I was currently using. The muffler uses a small allen screw to hold it onto the case, I'm going to either safety wire it and the muffler or try to use the Norvel spring wire. I found this to come loose on me. Once again the motor being brand new could be the culprit. I do recommend extending the needle valve on this one. Its nice to know its out of harms way in a crash,but getting my fingers in their proved to be a bit of a challenge. The engine does have a nice pinch fit but not overbearing like some of my Norvels initially. It sounds very much like a Norvel running. I was very impressed with the run using 5% Powermaster. I wasn't playing with the needle too much. Once I found the sweet spot for starting I left it. I would just pinch the fuel tubing to lean it up or raise the nose. I think this engine is going suit me just fine. It seems to share the same habits during break-in as the Norvels. I will update the flying characteristics later.      Ken Cook

Offline Peter Hess

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 08:36:21 AM »
Ken:
Thanks for the great report.  I hope that your flying it today goes well and am eager to hear further comments about the motor.
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
AMA 485070

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here