News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:33:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brag time! Sorry, but I gotta.  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brag time! Sorry, but I gotta.
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:21:43 PM »
My Sky Sport took 1st and 2nd at the Palmer Memorial contest over the weekend.  I loaned the model to Bart Klapinski, and of course he whupped me by 50 points with my own airplane. I expected no less. He scored a 492.  That is why I am "DesignMan" not "PilotMan".

We fly 1cc models intermixed with the "expert" Profile 40 planes in an attempt to keep the judging on a standard level. (We usually are as good or better).  I absolutely hate it when someone scores 60 degree angle loops with 35 points   "because that's pretty good for a little plane".  Small planes MUST be judged on the same basis as big ones, or we will never progress.  Anyone who has had the pleasure of seeing Dave Shirley's plane fly can attest that truly competitive small models are possible.

Anyway, I'll try to post a photo of the model.  It is due to come out in Flying Models in a couple of months, then as a kit from RSM some respectable time after that.  The model has 160 sq. in. of area, and is powered by a modified Brodak .049 mk 1.  The mods are a rebalanced and fitted crankshaft and a Nelson head.  Prop was a Master Airscrew 5.5x4, fuel is 15%-10-10 Excalabur.  I think that it might have been a bit heavy on the Nitro, as it was difficult to get a really comfortable needle setting.  Lines were 45' of .008 cable and the handle was an RSM/Renger "Even Ultamater 1/2A handle".  ( I had some new ideas and nobody but me could get his fingers into the previous design).

So now the model has been flown in competition (and won!) with a National Champion, Bart, plus having been test flown by others - Ted Fancher, Brett Buck, John Wright.  When they speak, I listen!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:40:41 PM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brag time! Sorry, but I gotta.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 06:19:21 AM »
 #^   #^ Congrats Larry!
Question: what did you do to your handle design? Picture?
I have been using them (from RSM) for a few years w/o any problems, just added the tie wraps I mentioned to you a long tme ago.
I'm curious.
Thanks,
Roger Vizioli
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:01:55 AM »
Brag away, we don't mind!!  Congratulations, looks (and sounds) like a great little plane.  I've been flying my LittleAxe every chance I get this Spring (well, two days so far) and am convinced someone good could set some awfully high scores with it...it's a real joy to fly. These little planes have potential.

160 squares...what does your Sky Sport weigh?  The LA is 10 oz., + or -, with 200 sq. in., currently using a BigMig .061, though a good .049 could fly it as well, I think.  I'm just finding it easier to get a good run out of the .061.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:41:03 AM »
First off, on the handle, I increased the size of the handle by 10% so most people can get more than 3 fingers into the opening (I have small hands, I guess).  In addition, the spacers now all have the retention holes way out as far as they can go.  To accomodate this, the handle has slots, not holes, so any size spacer can be used.  The electrical ties are no longer needed! Finally, there is a center hole for a bolt and washer to lock the control-line position.

The Sky Sport has 160 sq.in. wing and weighs in at 8 ounces.  Despite the small size and light weight, it punches through wind remarkably well.  Conditions at the Palmer meet were brutal at times, and the plane came through with flying colors (pun intended).

DesignMan

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 02:25:16 PM »
First off, on the handle, I increased the size of the handle by 10% so most people can get more than 3 fingers into the opening (I have small hands, I guess).  In addition, the spacers now all have the retention holes way out as far as they can go.  To accomodate this, the handle has slots, not holes, so any size spacer can be used.  The electrical ties are no longer needed! Finally, there is a center hole for a bolt and washer to lock the control-line position.
Thanks Larry. Handle size, as is, is fine for me.
Spacer holes and slots, will have to try it on one of my handles.
Center hole - easy mod.
Many thanks!
Roger

The Sky Sport has 160 sq.in. wing and weighs in at 8 ounces.  Despite the small size and light weight, it punches through wind remarkably well.  Conditions at the Palmer meet were brutal at times, and the plane came through with flying colors (pun intended).
Sub 10 oz. models, wonder if i will ever build one that light!  :-)  Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 03:17:33 PM »
Very interesting, our wing loadings are virtually identical!  Maybe we've hit on a "magic number" for 1/2A stunt--namely 20 sq. in. per ounce.   I think I'll analyze all my 1/2A designs just to see. 

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 07:11:31 PM »
Ray
For what its worth, my Baby Barnstormer is 20.7 sq inch per oz.   The IBTW and Micro Barnstormers are both at 25 sq inch per oz.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brag time! Sorry, but I gotta. - wing Loading number
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 07:50:18 PM »
Ray,
To add to your wing loading info. data bank-
Baby Pathfinder, 236 in2, 12 oz = 19.6.  Flies great!
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 10:53:21 PM »
I have to bring this up, sorry!  Google my name and read the article on 3-D wing loading I did for Model Airplane News.  It is real, it works, it solves a LOT of problems in comparing models.  I don't even want to talk about weight/area, it is meaningless!!!  Theory and experience prove it.  3-D wing loading will let you realistically compare a "Queen Bee" to a "Strega" and understand the performance differences.  Sorry to rant (I do that a lot), but the message just doesn't seem to get across. 

In the article, I propose a formula that will allow, not only size comparisons but a pretty good cut at comparisons of models with different aspect ratios.  Cool, huh?

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 03:17:53 AM »
Thanks Larry, I'll check it out.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline larry jaconetta

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 09:46:57 PM »
from what I understand----bart kaplinski could fly a barn door and beat the pants off anybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

larry jaconetta

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 09:41:11 AM »
True, and worse yet, you can never fly your plane as well as you did before after seeing what he can do with it.  Intimidation!

And, by the way, I did a misstatement.  The Sky Sport has 180 sq.in. wing area.  As such, it has a 22.5 sq.in./oz. wing loading.  Somewhat heavy compared to the numbers quoted above, and perhaps that explains the good wind penetration.

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 04:05:14 PM »
True, and worse yet, you can never fly your plane as well as you did before after seeing what he can do with it.  Intimidation!

And, by the way, I did a misstatement.  The Sky Sport has 180 sq.in. wing area.  As such, it has a 22.5 sq.in./oz. wing loading.  Somewhat heavy compared to the numbers quoted above, and perhaps that explains the good wind penetration.

You mean somewhat light, don't you?  More wing per ounce.  I know we're quoting the ratio backward from the norm, makes it a little confusing.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 07:38:38 PM »
Yuh got me, pardner!   n~

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags: 1/2 A Stunter 

Advertise Here