News:

• May 04, 2024, 04:11:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Black Widow Speed & Racing at the Michigan State Meet  (Read 854 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Black Widow Speed & Racing at the Michigan State Meet
« on: September 09, 2007, 06:07:32 PM »
John Brzys and I were again the only two entries, but had a good time and intend to keep the events on the menu for next year's two contests, so bring out a Black Widow-powered toy and give it a go.

I screwed up & left my 1/2A bits and pieces home (but did have the airplanes & a couple of engines).  John was nice enough to loan me what I needed to compete with him.

The Speed event is 12 laps (one-half mile) from a running start.  We run it very casually and allow all the tries you need to get a decent time.

John used his Canadian-style racer, the Streaker, I believe, and gradually worked his speed up to 28.3 seconds (63.6 MPH).  This time stood up for first place.

I opened with my Beechcraft Staggerwing biplane and did a very nice 31.9 (56.4 MPH), pretty good for a hollow log bipe.  The speed run was made without the wheels and cowl.  Unfortunately, I broke off the tail stunting after the speed run. 

The "old faithful" Golden Hawk wasn't in the mood to put out today.  So I moved the Beech 17's engine to an old generic no-name trainer and did 29.5 (61 MPH), for second place in the Speed event.

The Combat Master, now approaching two years of age, spent another game on the bench.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 08:20:44 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Black Widow Racing at the Michigan State Meet
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 06:20:10 PM »
With two healthy airplanes qualified, we were ready to race.  As usual, the Brzys' Brothers were a team, this time with John in the centre and Ed in the pit.

I was able to pick a pilot out of the crowd.  In this case, my long-time combat rival, Steve Kott.  In addition to Steve, I recognized at least three other spectators who could have picked up a combat or racing handle with full confidence.

Our Black Widows both seemed to like Racing best.  After numerous runs of tedious fiddling, both engines performed flawlessly in the 60-lap race.  Both planes went the distance with a single pit stop and our team WON by a half-lap (the reverse of yesterday's verdict).

Paul Smith & Steve Kott - 3:11
John & Ed Brzys - 3:13
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:07:57 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here