News:

• May 06, 2024, 10:20:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Berkeley Junior Puddle Jumper  (Read 1431 times)

Offline GGeezer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
Berkeley Junior Puddle Jumper
« on: April 27, 2009, 01:25:52 AM »
When I was a kid I had a Yank, an almost-ready-to-fly 1/2A free flight model by Berkeley. The model had a print decorated balsa profile fuselage, a formed aluminum motor mount riveted to the fuselage along with a formed alum. landing gear. I was always intrigued by those stamped steel cheek cowls and very much wanted to have the control line version of this design philosophy, the Junior Puddle Jumper. The plane has a large hollowed balsa fully symmetrical wing and should stunt well if built light enough (a challenge with a Berkeley kit) or powered with a big enough engine.
Last year, I Ebayed an almost complete (missing the rear wing parts) kit and then was able to buy another complete kit.
I plan on building two models each powered by an engine option shown on the plans. Its a typical Berkeley kit, great box art and plans but poor workmanship on the kitting. The shaped balsa wing parts leave a lot to be desired with the shaping poorly executed in that the parts do not fit together very well and will take a lot of work just to get them right.
The box says "build and fly in one day". In an era before CA adhesives, was this a violation of the truth in advertising?
I guess we kids were more resourceful then because it will probably take me at least a month now if I'm lucky!
I plan on posting photos of the build as it happens. I hope you folks will enjoy a nostalgic trip back to the time when boys built model planes.

Orv.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Berkeley Junior Puddle Jumper
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:05:12 AM »
Orv, I am not familiar with the small Berkeley kits like this one so this will be a real treat for me!

Thank you for the great picture, for it offers a lot of fine detail to study!
The layout is cool and the way the firewall/LG was designed looks quite simple. It does look like it could be built somewhat lightly.

As for building and flying in a day, not sure how that was done unless they meant a '24 hour' day. Ambroid dried very quickly but as all glues usually say on the back, "let dry for 24 hours for a full bond"

Question: since the fuse was printed I must assume that it would not be painted the way most planes were. I suppose there were instructions to just clear dope it?  It would appear that the flying surfaces would be treated normally. 

I will enjoy this a lot! Thanks again.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 04:16:05 PM »
There is an earlier version which is Old Time Stunt legal.  Here is a picture of the kit in a review from maybe 1951.  I posted on this before but I think it got lost.  Notice that the name is Berkley Profile Puddle Jumper.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 05:23:51 PM »
Hi Orv,

Neat little airplanes!

I remember seeing those advertised when I was a kid, but never built one. Built one hollow log back then, but that never made it into the air. The first (and only) half A c/l airplane I flew, was the Walker Firebaby. Flew pretty well with a McCoy .049 diesel.

Is that an Atwood Signature on the right?

Looking forward to your photos.  H^^

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:13:02 PM »
...And I'm betting that Cub diesel is an .075.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:31:45 AM »
Folks,
Berkeley made so many different kits, does anyone out there have a complete list? I thought the Berkeley free flight RTF model I had was called a Yank but I just went through my old model mags from the 50s and can't find an ad for it. I can only find an ad for the Super Yank. Does anyone know if they made both a Yank and a Super Yank?
Now to answer some questions:
Robert,
Fortunately, the balsa wing parts in the kits are fairly light balsa for a Berkeley kit. My main worry is the rather long nose moment, heavy Cub engine, heavy wheels and the steel cowl cheeks may make the model too nose heavy.
Although the plans don't give any instructions for the finish, I plan on clear doping the fuse. and color doping the wings and tail feathers red.
Jim,
Thanks for letting me know about the Profile Puddle Jumper. I thought I had all three versions of the PJ but you have shown me that there were four. I have never seen this kit on Ebay but I found an ad in 1950 MAN mag. If anyone has a kit they want to find a good home for, please let me know. Does anyone have the plans? The built up wing could make a model light enough to old time stunt with my strong 1949 OK Cub .049.
Bill,
The engine on the right is not a Signature, its kind of a Frankenstein engine. The plan side view shows a Wasp with FF tank (made first by Atwood and then by Holland) so I Ebayed a good looking one but unfortunately it was worn out. I had a strong running Atwood .049 with a broken mounting lug so I swapped the cylinder and piston into the Wasp but found that the threads on the Wasp head were too tight to fit the Atwood cylinder. I will remedy that on my lathe later to have a good looking, good running Wasp, though I am worried that the FF tank with the bottom pick-up may not be suitable for this C/L application
George,
You bet! that is a new OK Cub .075 diesel I still have to run and break in. I'm banking on the fact that this diesel will have enough jam to stunt this model.
Orv.

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 12:31:36 AM »
The first of the two PJs I will finish will be the one powered by the Cub .075 Diesel, one of the engines shown on the plan. This model's cheek cowls were designed to best fit a Wasp or an Atwood on a free flight tank. You can see by the attached photo that I had to add a 1/4" plywood spacer between the Cub and the mount in order to locate the prop at the same place shown on the plans. I notched the mount to clear the tank fuel tubing.
The lighter colored rectangular shape just behind the motor mount/ landing gear is some fill balsa. The previous owner didn't build the kit but must have mounted a motor on the fuse. He cut a hole in the fuse for a tank and then must have run the motor because it badly soaked and stained the fuselage at the front as seen in the photo. It took a lot of cleaning to get rid of most of the soaked in castor but I think I got it clean enough to take the dope.
Next, I have to tackle the tank problem.

Orv.

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »
Isn't the tank just a balloon type that fits inside the cowl?

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »
Having been provided such a detailed picture, I was able to blow up the area regarding the tank and it tells how to acually modify the cheek cowl half to make a tank!

Quote:
"Solder tin can metal, shaped as shown to inside edge of nacelle to form integral tank"

Pretty cool if you ask me, however it shows no real fuel pick up or clunk or whatever we now consider as normal for our use.
Still, it might be best to use a balloon in that same area. I think that would be the best choice.

robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 01:05:46 AM »
John & Robert,
I seriously considered using a 'Larry' baggie tank or a balloon tank but the nacelle is quite cramped particularly at the rear. The other problem is if I keep the engine tightly cowled in like I'd had planned then getting at the fuel line at the engine to fill the tank would be next to impossible.
My next consideration was to be as original to the plans as possible and incorporate the tank with the nacelle like shown on the plans but as Robert has pointed out, they only show a filler tube, no pick-up or vent. This concept must have been the fancy of the plan artist since I don't think anyone ever tried it out.
I mulled over the drawing for some time and decided that the way they show probably wouldn't work even if we added the pick-up and vent. If the pick-up went to the back, it would be next to the fuse and we know that during flight the fuel wants to reside as far away from the center of the circle as possible. This would mean that the engine would suck fuel for only a short time.
I decided to build the tank into the inside nacelle instead. Now the pick-up tube will be to the outside of the circle.
The photos show how I did this and it seemed to work out pretty well, I hope it will run in the air.

Orv.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here