News:

• May 08, 2024, 03:03:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Balloon tank mounting questions  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Balloon tank mounting questions
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:18:15 PM »
I just tried out a balloon tank today, since I'm just not getting joy with trying to make a Golden Bee tank work inverted (I know: this should work.  I may start a thread on it).

As far as the "works at any attitude" it's great, but I have some questions.

I "mounted" the tank by making a cylinder of acetate about 1" in diameter, and nailing it down to the plane wing with a bit of plywood to spread the forces, and a pair of #2 screws.  My problems with this are twofold, with both filling and holding the tank in position.

In filling, I need to disconnect the fuel tube from the tank inlet tube, but everything is squirmy and not nailed down (and now it's all fuel soaked, to boot).

In flight, the tank just extends through my (hollow) tube and flaps out the back.  I think this latter problem can either be fixed by putting a back onto my tank mount, or by ignoring the problem, but it'd be nice to have things nailed down.

So -- how to do this?  I know that Ray uses 35mm film cannisters.  That's just exceedingly cool, but I didn't save mine and they're kind of rare.  I'm thinking of doing something like soldering a brass strap onto a bit of fuel tubing, to be held down by one of the engine mounting screws or by a screw to the airframe.

Does my method make sense?

Is there an easier way?

Thanks.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Balloon tank mounting questions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 12:33:38 AM »
Here's what I did.  Aside from the obvious issue with using one's fuel system as landing gear, I'm feeling pretty good about this.  I think if it works well in flight I'll put the engine on its side and rearrange the tubing so that nothing sticks down, and I should have something that'll work.

Comments, suggestions, critiques, &c., appreciated.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:21:14 AM »
You could close the end of the plastic tube with a peice of balsa.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:50:53 AM »
Any container will work, even a balsa box or an old plastic pill bottle.  Cap both ends and the balloon will stay inside.  Cut the fuel line at a place that is easy to get to and insert a piece of brass tubing, this will make refueling easier.  Remember to keep the fuel line short. as long as it does not kink.

Larry

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 10:03:35 AM »
Tim, that looks like it should work fine. If you want some film cannisters let me know your address in a pm and i will send you a few. I have saved different size bottles for a couple of years now. I do like to use the Sig 6 inch clear canopies when i have the room.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:32:03 AM »
Tim, that looks like it should work fine. If you want some film cannisters let me know your address in a pm and i will send you a few. I have saved different size bottles for a couple of years now. I do like to use the Sig 6 inch clear canopies when i have the room.
I was just realizing that in this modern day and age, there's no need for film cannisters -- we have a medicine cabinet littered with examples of our support for the pharmaceutical industry, including many that are about the right size for this application.

I'm kinda appalled at using something so massive as a pill bottle or a film cannister for a tank hold-down anyway -- I like your idea of using a little canopy, but I think I'm also going to start paying close attention to blister-packs when I go shopping, and I may even break down and learn to vacuum-form.
AMA 64232

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »
Both the Sky Sport and Sky Streak have balloon tank compartments built in.  Balsa works fine, just epoxy coat the inside!  The balloons only want to slither out the back, not the front, it seems.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »
My admittedly strange "Martian Space Ship" just has the nose enclosed and a balloon lying in there, I guess sort of a la Larry's dedicated comartments...this just sort of presented itself to me, and worked fine.

As of a year ago or so, the 35mm canisters were not that hard to obtain...some still use film-cameras, and there are places that service them.  Check with any camera store, and you should be able to find some of the cansiters even yet.  Don't let anyone charge you for them, they are throwaway or recycle items to thge store. 

But if they really have disappeared from the market, I have a couple of trash sacks full, I'll never use them up.  I can send you a half dozen or whatever, just let me know.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:16:04 PM by minnesotamodeler »
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
I think if I had an engine with a convenient fill nipple on it I wouldn't have a big issue.  The engine is an old Cox "product" engine, and it's hard to get fuel tubing onto the nipple -- so I don't want to have to either mess around with a floppy balloon, or with ever taking the tube off the engine.

So the hard mount appeals to me.  We'll see how it does in practice.  Here's the final version, which brings the bottom of the tubing up at least a fraction of an inch above ground level.
AMA 64232

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 05:18:14 PM »
Looks like that'll work...going to the sidewinder mount is a good move, makes things simpler.

I guess the balloon is in your plastic tubing back there?  I don't see it; but I'm sure you're not planning on leaving the balloon flopping about in the open air!

You could put landing gear on it, and solve your clearance problem altogether.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »
You can barely see the plastic in the picture -- it's round, and it reflects the balloon color which is itself natural latex and not too different from the balsa.  It's a bit more evident in the first set of pictures.

Landing gear adds weight and drag, and this plane already has a ton of weight in the tail.  I did consider it, though.
AMA 64232

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
Yeh if it's noseheavy landing gear probably isn't a good idea...
--Ray 
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here