News:

• May 06, 2024, 02:32:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Clown Woes  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Baby Clown Woes
« on: June 02, 2008, 06:06:37 PM »
This weekend, I had a chance to compare a Brodak ARF Baby Clown to an original PDQ kit.  The Brodak version is not even close to accurate!  :'(

The wing is at least 4" longer, the fuselage about 1" shorter.  As such, after the first of the year, I will no longer accept the Brodak version as allowable for Leprechaun competition.  Of course you can still fly them in 1cc-1/2A.

Hmmm, now I will have to take a better look at the 1/2A Baby Flite Streak!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
Re: Baby Clown Woes
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 06:50:21 PM »
Pardon, my ignorance  I understand RTF but what is a PDQ kit?

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:20:35 PM »
PDQ=Old Kit maker!

It isn't obvious to me that 1/2 versions of "normal" kits really are simply scaled planes. I realize that Larry's Leprechaun Contest requires scaling, but if you look at the 1/2a stuff (baby Ringmaster, TF  Flite Steak, Baby Clown... what ever) that was available back in the "good old days", do all the flying parts scale? Maybe very little of this really scales. I guess I would be surprised if it did because you would hope the original designers would actually spend some time to come up with an optimized 1/2A plane, which moght only resemble the original 35 sized plane (for example the Ringmaster tail feathers and wing shape.....

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:56:48 PM »
Ok, I guess I'll have to look up to see what the rul;es for leprachaun is. I thought that baby clown and baby ringmaster were kits. Not neccesarily scaled down versions but maybe the topflite baby ringmaster is some scaled down version ? anybody know for sure?
I am just curious on their origins.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:00:09 PM »
I think Larry's Leprechaun contest requires scaled down 1/2A versions of the original plane. All I am saying is that is isn't exactly obvious the "good old days" 1/2A plane were high fidelity scaled down versions of the originals.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:58:50 AM »
The Top Flite Baby Ringmaster and PDQ Baby Clown were both kits in the Classic era.  Thus the originals are Leprechaun legal.

I was told by Dave Braun (who engineered the Brodak kits) that he used an original kit to copy.  However, he showed me the kit and I had my Baby Clown ARF to compare, and there is little resemblance. 

If enough people plead the case that I should make an exception and keep the Brodak BC as legal, I will.  I'll grumble, and won't fly mine as a Leprechaun, but I'll keep it.  You guys vote on it, then I'll make a unilateral decision.  VD~   It is still perfectly acceptable for 1cc competition, of course, but I really want to keep the Leprehaun trophy "honest".

The Brodak Baby Flite Streak is 15 sq.in. bigger than the Top Flite Version, but it has been signed off by George Aldrich as being true to his original, pre-kit design.  I ain't about to dis ol' George!

DesignMan

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 05:46:34 PM »
Top Flite Baby Ringmaster
???

I thought Ringmasters were Sterling? :)

At least my Ringmaster and Ringmaster Jr were Sterling.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 10:35:43 PM »
It may well have been sterling. I just meant that the 1/2A kits were meant as versions of larger designs for a 1/2 a engine. Though I was unaware of any particular scale for them. one might impy  that the lil jumpin bean is a scaled down shoestring stunter.
But its a stretch.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 02:32:43 PM »
I am pretty sure both the Baby Ringmaster and Jumpin'Bean models fall into the classic era, thus would be eligible (I would need to check the issue dates).  But they are such wretched designs that you would never be competitive with them!  They are both under 100 sq in area and you would need them to weigh about 3 ounces complete for them to fly the pattern.  Done right with a Tee Dee .010 on a bladder, it is possible, but there are such better/easier choices!  :P

DesignMan

Offline Stan Tyler

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 05:40:12 PM »
Larry,

From what I've read, PDQ couldn't produce their own kits accurately and had different production runs with differences between each one. Is there a difference between the baby clown kit and the baby clown ARF/ARC? I know that there shouldn't be any dimensional differences but you never know!

I could go either way on the baby clown legality for leprechaun even though I've had some luck flying a pretty good pattern with one. I'll probably opt for the baby flight streak at least until I get a twin ready for leprechaun.

Stan
Stan Tyler
AMA 3239

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 08:09:26 PM »
Stan,
I have both Brodak Baby Clown Arf and built kit, and they are pretty close. The kit looks like the distance from trailing edge to stab is about 1/4" longer than the ARF. Wing looks identical (span and aspect ratio).

The Baby Clown is one of the best Brodak 1/2 A planes, which with the Brodak Baby Flite Streak is one of the larger Brodak 1/2A planes (not counting the 1/2A Pathfinder which really is a newer generation larger plane).

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »
After much discussion, I have decided to "Grandfather" in the Brodak Baby Clown as acceptable for Leprechaun trophies.  My reasoning is that there is a whole bunch of them that have already competed (including two of my own) and that although it will beat the sox off a "real" Baby Clown, it is no threat to something like the Baby Flite Streak and other, more capable designs. 

Thanks to all for your input.   H^^

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here