News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:51:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AUTOGIRO FLIGHT REPORT  (Read 1570 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
AUTOGIRO FLIGHT REPORT
« on: April 16, 2007, 02:57:24 PM »
Just got back from the flying field, and can now report that the Augogiro DOES fly, albeit not well.  I deeply fear, gentlemen, that this is strictly a round-and-round airplane. 

The rotor DOES spin, which is all I wanted anyhow...does look really interesting in the air.  The rotor turns I would estimate around 200 rpms average, not very fast.  Try to pull up as into a loop (I can tell you now, forget that fantasy) and the tail drops, the rotor SPEEDS UP, the plane slows down--looks like a Carrier plane, 'way high angle of attack without much climb. In fact it probably would make a great Carrier landing...wonder if the Navy ever used autogiros?  Then input "down" to get the tail back up, and as the plane resumes its "proper" attitude the rotor SLOWS DOWN, nearly stops until air speed picks back up, then it goes back to its 200 or so rpms.

Frank, I got three flights out of it before I broke a rotor...because the first two were bad engine runs and it made pretty much power-on (barely) landings.  Kept it upright, anyway.  Tjhird flight, decent engine run, ran it out of fuel, it said "I want to set down THERE!" and wouldn't stand for any argument from me.  Put down rather hard in the grass (glide angle about 45 d.), flipped and snapped one rotor off right at the end of the hub extension, exactly where you would expect it to break.  No problem to fix it, and I will, if only to hang it on the wall--I may not fly it again.

Still, a fun build; and it is unique in the air--just rather difficult to get it down in one piece. But I'm glad we built it anyhow.

OK Frank, now it's your turn!

--Ray

--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: AUTOGIRO FLIGHT REPORT
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:39:53 AM »
Ray,
         Did I mention that these things do NOT stunt?  n1 They are fun and will draw a crowd everytime. When the engine quits be ready to land. Pull the nose up to gain as much rpm in the rotor as you can and let it land. How to stunt.....remove rotor.
 #^ I am glad that it was a success and most of all that you had fun with it.
Larry

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 03:00:49 PM »
Oh, I'm not disappointed a bit...I didn't expect it to stunt.  You oughtta see it buzzing around with that rotor spinning!  Very cute.  Crowd-pleaser no doubt. Yes, I count it a success, and yes, I had fun with it, from the very beginning.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 12:18:02 PM »
Ray,
          I guess that the others are to timed to follow you into the realm of whirling blades. Therefore I declare you the Autogiro pilot "Mr. Otto Gyro". I am so proud  :'(
Larry

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 02:42:01 PM »
I think I'll have a plaque made for my desk.  "Mr. Otto Gyro", I like that.

C'mon, guys, you build 'em to fly 'em!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 07:26:49 PM »

What'd happen if you put a Helicopter Cyclic Pitch thingo on one . autogiro  that is .

The whole Rotor Head Assembly .                                                                          M.S.

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 05:34:03 AM »
I think full size gyro copters have that and maybe collective also.  I've seen them make near vertical descents and then "cushion" somewhat before touchdown.  In reference to rotor speed, while fixed wing pilots are taught to nose down to increase airspeed if in fear of loosing lift, gyro pilots are taught to nose up to increase rotor speed.  A nose over in a gyro can translate into severe loss of rotor speed and catastrophic loss of lift.  Seems like the military did have a few in service at one time.  As far as the one you guys have been modeling, I don't have a clue about the affects of having a rotor and a wing.  ...so much for my $.02 worth........
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 05:10:38 AM »
Well Ray.............I don't know what to say. You certainly are "OTTO" on this one.
Frank Carlisle

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 04:16:07 PM »
Saw a program on the of the MilitaryChannelsthe other day.  "Secret Japanese airplanes" or something like that.  They showed a Japanese carrier that was made for the specific purpose of subhunting using their KA-1(?) autogyros.   Don't know if they used a hook, but probably didn't need one.  The carrier was sunk by one of our subs on it's way to going into service, I think they said.

So looks like autogyros were used on carriers.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:16:27 AM »
Boy, the carrier guys oughtta jump on that.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 02:22:08 PM »
Boy, the carrier guys oughtta jump on that.

They did, and now they are illegal.  There was a model builder plan in the  80's for one.  Promptly made them illegal for carrier. 

As a kid I build one call Kopter Kit from somewere out in NJ.  It was a 1/2a.  Wish I still had it.

Dave
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here