News:

• May 04, 2024, 09:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Attention Hollow Log Promoters in California, Virgina, and Michigan,,,  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I would like to suggest that the TeeDee .020 be added to the menu of engines. 

Reasons:  The hollow log events survive mostly on old engines that are no longer on the market, and the supply of viable .049's is dwindling.  At the same time, there are (I believe) quite a few TeeDee .020's sitting around with nothing to do.  While the TeeDee is a high performance design, it's only 40% the displacement of an .049, so it won't be any threat in horsepower.

Most hollow logs list engines down to .020, but a PeeWee is so far below a Black Widow, that nobody (that I've seen) has given it a try.  The menu already has several rotary valve engines, so this won't be a first.

The standard seems to be "nothing better than a Black Widow or a Fox", and I believe the Tee Dee .020 is within this limit.

If this engine brings in a few more entries, it's a good thing.
Paul Smith

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Attention Hollow Log Promoters in California, Virgina, and Michigan,,,
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 12:52:06 PM »
I would also like to see the Tee Dee .020 added however I have to disagree with the availability of even new .049 engines.
Ebay is chock full of engines including new in box. I just checked and there are over a hundred on the block right now.

This supply will not go away for some time.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 01:05:14 PM »
All so-called "Cox" engines are not created equal.  Much of the production in recent decades has been useless from day one.

True, you can get a pile of 049 stuff from ebay and Toledo, but most of it won't work.

I hope we can agree to delve into the TeeDee .020 bin.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 08:39:35 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 06:43:46 PM »
There used to be a Pee Wee .020 around my parents house.  I don't know what happened to it.  I've owned a handful of Cox, Cub, and Testors .049s.  Even though I'm sure their plentiful, in my whole life I don't think I've ever seen an .020 TD or an .010 TD.  Somewhere I read, perhaps erroneously, that some Musciano contests limited engines to single bypass like a Golden Bee rather than dual bypass like a Blackwidow.  Not sure if that is so or if it would apply to smaller displacement engines,
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 08:46:38 PM »
Over the past couple years, either one or two bypass has been acceptable on the Cox reed engines.  This allows the event to subsist by K-balling TeeDee .049's (what a shame!).

Also, some rotary engines including the WenMac, OK Cub, Gnome, and Foxes (expect the hi-zoot FAI model).  From what I've observed, healthy Cox piston & cylinders are running out, with no relief in sight. 

PeeWee's have always been legal, but hopelessly weak.  I hope we can agree to give the TeeDee .020 a chance.
Paul Smith

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 06:21:07 AM »
Over the past couple years, either one or two bypass has been acceptable on the Cox reed engines.  This allows the event to subsist by K-balling TeeDee .049's (what a shame!).

Also, some rotary engines including the WenMac, OK Cub, Gnome, and Foxes (expect the hi-zoot FAI model).  From what I've observed, healthy Cox piston & cylinders are running out, with no relief in sight. 

PeeWee's have always been legal, but hopelessly weak.  I hope we can agree to give the TeeDee .020 a chance.

I hope that you realize that the TD020 is pretty well extinct also. I was told that the sum production of these motors in the last 10 years didn't go much more them 1,000 or so a year as there was very litle demand for them. Prices are obscene for these as the FF boys use them and are buying everyone that can be found, Parts especially hi compression heads are difficult to find. Props especially the Cox grey 4/2 are getting unobtanium also. I agree that the TD020 is a viable motor just not plentiful enough to be a fix for the shortage of good Cox 049's

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 06:27:32 AM »
Thanks for the idea.  If my suggestion fails, I have a couple to bay to the vol libre' faction.

The entire "hollow log" program is something of an exercise in living in the past.  Cloth hinges, Perfect hardware, etc.  Even a dozen or so healthy engines would make a difference.  The current engine menu lists quite few .049's that are a lot more rare than the TeeDee .020.

------------------

The NIB units are the ones bringing hugh money on eBay.  If it's been run once, you may as well run it some more.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 02:04:41 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 10:32:32 AM »
Hi Paul,

At first blush, I would see no objection to the TD .020.  It *would* add another alternative to the old list of .049s and fall somewhere in the range, powerwise.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here